Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jack Straw & Malcolm Rifkind in 'cash for access' sting.

(110 Posts)
POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 00:57:30

Don't they learn anything?

Jack Straw suspended from the Labour Party whilst investigations are taking place. Malcolm Rifkind is also reportedly caught in the sting by The Telegraph and Channel 4 dispatches program where they are both on film boasting about 'cash for access'.

How can these two senior politicians be so utterly stupid. They are both near the end of their careers and now will 'possibly' leave with tarnished reputations 'if found guilty'!

Jack Straw was going to have enough to deal with when Chilcot finally comes out but honestly this too!

Malcolm Rifkind is an absolute idiot and if they are found guilty they both deserve all they get.

rosequartz Mon 23-Feb-15 14:59:21

Getting to the bottom of scandals, sourcing newsworthy stories, exposing scandals and secrets are one thing, but entrapment is lazy journalism, cynical and wrong.

nigglynellie Mon 23-Feb-15 15:10:45

I agree, and after being a life long Telegraph reader, I have as from today cancelled my subscription. I'm going to find out who to complain to and let them know in no uncertain terms how I feel. I doubt they'll care, but it'll make me feel better. What with their reporting of HSBC, and now this, they have certainly gone too far. I'm sure both these MP's have been foolish, but I doubt very much that they have been wilfully underhand or broken the law unless it can be proved otherwise.

Mishap Mon 23-Feb-15 16:20:29

We cannot know whether they have broken the law in any way at this stage, and they are indeed innocent until proven guilty. I just think that greed lies behind this need to earn more money on top of their MP's. If they are doing their job properly (for which we are paying them) they would not have time for all this money-chasing.

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 16:36:00

But Jack Straw wasn't going to do it until after he had left, so it wasn't on top of his MP's pay, although he did say he earned £5000 for giving a speech at the moment.

nigglynellie Mon 23-Feb-15 17:49:03

I see no more greed than that of a Dr or Dentist taking on private work, a teacher taking on private tuition or people taking on council work or any other outside occupation along with their own job. Jack Straw was in fact putting out feelers for occupation after he left parliament! What on earth is wrong with that?! Sir Malcolm was overheard discussing an advisory role with this fictitious company, which he might or might not take up. No commitment was given by either of them as to what their decision might be. Neither of them have broken the law as very many MP's have outside interests of a financial nature, and so long as they're declared that's perfectly ok. But for these two, they are to be hanged drawn and quartered without further ado. Other MP's are piously jumping on this bandwagon and are 'appalled' and 'horrified!! Why? In the next breath we understand it's common practice!!
What a nest of hypocritical vipers!! Something is telling me that here's one person who won't be voting in May. Who on earth is there to vote for?!!

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 18:14:44

Vote for what you believe in, niggly.

Mishap Mon 23-Feb-15 18:15:06

Being a good MP is a full-time job. That is why we pay them a decent salary plus allowances.

soontobe Mon 23-Feb-15 18:19:58

A lot of people in top positions only sleep for 3 or 4 hours a night. Which leaves time and energy for other activities.

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 18:23:06

Is that why you see them falling asleep on the parliamentary benches, soontobe?

Mishap Mon 23-Feb-15 18:32:55

grin durhamjen

Iam64 Mon 23-Feb-15 18:34:20

As niggleynellie says, many professionals take on work outside their full time employment. I occasionally did staff training, privately when working for the la. The rule was any such work would be declared and done outside working hours, i.e. by taking annual leave. It worked well.

I'm probably a lone voice in feeling we should pay MP's more, they earn half what a GP does or much less than many professionals with similarly huge responsibilities and long hours. I'd increase the salary, provide accommodation in London rather than a 2nd home allowance. Any work outside their paid job to be declared on public sites and discouraged!

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 18:38:13

www.spinwatch.org/index.php/issues/lobbying/item/5744-just-because-everyone-s-at-it-doesn-t-make-it-right

nigglynellie Mon 23-Feb-15 19:00:48

I agree Iam. I would do the same . MP's by the way of things are not well paid when compared to other professional jobs. I would pay a realistic salary, provide accommodation in London in the way of service flats or whatever. Make outside financial interests illegal,(difficult with a family business of course!!) expenses would be declared and authorised or not!! and probably other things too! That way we might,just might get some sense and proper commitment from our MP's, and put a stop to the newspapers digging for dirt. Folorn hope probably!!!

thatbags Mon 23-Feb-15 19:09:56

I've always had the impression that Jack Straw and Malcolm Rifkind were committed MPs. Both of them have been MPs for a very long time so it would appear that their constituents thought they were committed too.

rosequartz Mon 23-Feb-15 20:09:49

Is that why you see them falling asleep on the parliamentary benches, soontobe?

I don't see them falling asleep, djen - I can't see them in the House at all most of the time grin

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 20:59:07

That's because they're all doing other jobs!
Shows how cynical we are all getting.

nigglynellie Mon 23-Feb-15 21:21:21

No it's cos it's all so BORING!!!!!!! (and they're getting on a bit!!!)

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 21:32:58

I assumed roseq meant because they weren't there!

POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 21:51:42

Or of course you could switch on your tele to freeview 131 where they are all still working voting on the Serious Crime Bill as I type. 21.48pm

Blasted slackers working still at this time of night.

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 22:24:40

Have watched it a lot today. There were not many of them there even when Cameron came in.
It seems they all have screens in their rooms in the commons and can just go for the vote. There was a program on last week showing the PM having to go back for a vote from a white tie function because the Labour party tried to bring in a vote early.

POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 22:27:13

You could be answering yourself then DJ.

The benches are full tonight.

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 22:28:38

Just switched over. Not many there at all.
Scottish affairs committee now.
Debate on oesophageal cancer. Most of them left.

POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 22:38:49

DJ

Just because when you switched over the voting for the ammendments were over doesn't mean they were not there ,I do not exaggerate to prove a point!!!

Yes Parliament is still going 22.34 pm as Conservative Mike Wheatherley is talking of Oesopageal Cancer, having had oesophogeal cancer himself. The point is Parliament is not a 9-5 job which I think some people believe it is, or even less hours worked reading some posts.

POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 22:45:34

Did I just miss something or did Newsnight discuss Rifkind but totally ignore to mention/discuss Jack Straw?

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 22:48:14

You're right, it's not a 9-5 job. They did not start until 2.00 p.m.