Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too sad to talk about really

(160 Posts)
whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 16:24:17

Just saw an advert relating to the migrants drowning in the Med. and a picture of someone carrying a baby - all you could see were two little feet in a pink baby grow and the rest of the baby was covered in a blanket she was obviously drowned. I cried.

petra Sun 19-Apr-15 21:20:28

Interesting piece in the MOS today. Gaddaffi (spelling) was warning Italy of this back in 2010. Nobody listened.

pompa Sun 19-Apr-15 21:27:38

Ignore this woman at your peril. We have seen what ideologies like this can lead to before.

whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 21:32:41

Only if they can get enough of the population on board, and I see precious little evidence of that.

Personally I think that she is unbalanced. Think of her poor children.

durhamjen Sun 19-Apr-15 21:35:20

Did anyone see Farage on Sunday Politics today? He said it was Cameron's and Europe's fault for getting rid of Gaddafi and starting the war that made these refugees go to Europe. The man will say anything to get votes.

I agree with pompa. Katie Hopkins needs to know with what horror the population of Britain sees her ideas.

soontobe Sun 19-Apr-15 21:45:31

She came across reasonably ok on Big Brother.
The Sun must need or want or like the attention she gives them. That is in no way a good enough reason for them to employ her. Or whoever else does such as Loose Women.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Apr-15 22:07:46

What do you want "our country" to do whitewave for God's sake?! We can't sort the whole of bloody Africa out. And stop talking about your "little cockroach". Have some bloody respect.

And stop talking about some stupid cow of a celeb.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Apr-15 22:09:21

Give some money to Save the Children. They are doing what they can.

Stansgran Sun 19-Apr-15 22:11:36

Perhaps some of these countries need the iron hand of a powerful un opposed ruler. They seem to collapse into mayhem when they are removed. I read in the ST that they were running out of boats and using rubber dinghies and that the "crew" were not really seamen but just given free passage to run the boat. All too horrible.

Stansgran Sun 19-Apr-15 22:13:47

I think MSF are collaborating with a couple who have hired a rescue boat. I think MSF are well worth supporting. The money goes where it should.

Soutra Sun 19-Apr-15 22:13:47

Newspapers are focused on sales. The Sun is a despicable rag and no one with half a brain cell takes what is regurgitates with any sense of trust. It is time people stopped following the cr*p people like her peddle, looked at the facts and formed their own opinions.
This is a tragedy of monumental proportions-700 this month, 300 last? That's 1000 people who have died out of 31,000 migrants and have not only risked their lives but paid huge sums to unscrupulous people smugglers. The comparison with the slave trade is a valid one -huge amounts of money changing hands and total disregard for human lives. I don't pretend to have a solution, but in response to OP, however compassionate and well meaning, No, it is not too sad to talk about. We need to talk about it, care about it and and as a country and part of the EU, do something.

Soutra Sun 19-Apr-15 22:17:34

ignore this woman at your peril

No, Pompa that is precisely what we have to do. You wipe dogsh*t off your shoe but apart from that, you ignore it.
angry ( not with you )

Mishap Sun 19-Apr-15 22:23:06

There are those who will not ignore her and take on board what she is saying - and this will influence their behaviour.

Those who recognise the true nature and implications of what she is saying need to speak out.

Her whole approach revolts me - how does she sleep at night?

Ana Sun 19-Apr-15 22:33:55

Easily, I'd imagine. She loves all the publicity and cares not one jot about what a load of grannies think about her.

durhamjen Sun 19-Apr-15 22:34:10

www.change.org/p/the-sun-newspaper-remove-katie-hopkins-as-a-columnist?source_location=trending_petitions_home_page&algorithm=curated_trending

Marelli Sun 19-Apr-15 22:41:31

Signed. Thank you for the link Durhamjen.

Soutra Sun 19-Apr-15 23:17:49

Signed

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Apr-15 23:26:59

another petition to sign?

merlotgran Sun 19-Apr-15 23:28:04

Signed. I do hope these online petitions actually have some weight to throw.

durhamjen Sun 19-Apr-15 23:29:04

Thanks. Over 150,000 people have signed already. And it's not just grannies.

AshTree Sun 19-Apr-15 23:33:40

Signed. Thank you durhamjen - I hope many more people on here see this link and sign.

Rowantree Mon 20-Apr-15 01:19:50

Signed.

She is a warning from history. Many will have heard similar views before. Surely it should be illegal to spout such venom against another group of people in the way she has?

soontobe Mon 20-Apr-15 06:33:14

Tried to sign. My computer wont link. Has the petition been removed or is it my computer? [could be my computer as it is crashing daily lately].

Dowa the sun ever take any notice? It hasnt about page 3.

soontobe Mon 20-Apr-15 07:53:29

No. Still wont link for me.

pompa Mon 20-Apr-15 07:57:21

Soutra, you not only wipe it off your shoe, you watch out for it in future so that you don't get caught out again.

I think being angry with me was a bit strong - we may agree to differ but we are still flowers

soontobe Mon 20-Apr-15 08:05:22

pompa, she did say that she wasnt angry with you.