Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too sad to talk about really

(160 Posts)
whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 16:24:17

Just saw an advert relating to the migrants drowning in the Med. and a picture of someone carrying a baby - all you could see were two little feet in a pink baby grow and the rest of the baby was covered in a blanket she was obviously drowned. I cried.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 21:04:14

There is no easy answer to the boat people from Africa, if there was, it would have been sorted by now.

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 21:27:15

By "Grannies" I meant members of Gransnet

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 21:28:00

Anyone going to the Mediterranean for their holidays this year?
What will happen when the rest of the bodies start washing up on the beaches because we had no humanity?

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 21:32:56

Oh don't be so melodramatic, durhamjen.

And speak for yourself when you say 'we' had no humanity.

merlotgran Thu 23-Apr-15 21:44:13

I take it your hairdresser didn't ask you where you were going on holiday, durhamjen?

If she did I bet she's regretting it.

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 21:56:58

A letter in today's Guardian, magpie.

"Will someone please explain the moral difference between the politicians who closed Britain’s door to Jews fleeing persecution in Nazi Germany and those who now want to shut out people trying to escape from the disaster that has engulfed them in North Africa and the Middle East? As long as we try to evade our fundamental human duty to them (never mind our share of the responsibility for their plight), we can contribute nothing to resolving this tragedy."

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 22:01:36

I consider myself to have humanity, Ana. When I say we, I mean those British who want to send refugees back where they came from, or allow them to drown in the Mediterranean. They actually do it in my name, and the names of others who disagree with them.
The Mediterranean, for God's sake! I've visited these places where the bodies are being washed up now. I'm sure many of you have, too.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 22:19:36

What would your answer be jendurham?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 22:21:39

Apologies for getting your name the wrong way round