Gransnet forums

News & politics

A thread for the all-nighters

(340 Posts)
whitewave Thu 07-May-15 10:12:23

Thought I would post this up for those of us who are hoping for the stamina to stay up!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-May-15 19:19:55

I will put my earphones on sometime in the small hours. I'm feeling excited, worried and scared.

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 19:23:48

oh I had to stop there as a man came to give us a quote for the pond and OMG he fell in. DH shot upstairs because he couldn't stop laughing! I told him (the man) that the rocks were loose but he didn't take any notice grin

newist Thu 07-May-15 19:27:49

We are having party nibbles, home made apple wine, I have found 2 old Christmas crackers because there will only be 2 at this party, plus 2 confused cats as to why we are not in bed grin

ninathenana Thu 07-May-15 19:34:29

That just shows how ignorant I am about politics whitewave smile
I have cast my vote and that's as far as I go.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-May-15 19:47:04

shock Whitewave! Did you offer him a hot bath and a change of clothes? grin

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 20:00:37

Well it was only one leg so he sort of limped off with a wet and muddy trainer and jean leg, he arrived absolutely pristine though and smelling as if he had just come out of the shower. I bet the quote is enormous!!!

ninathenana Thu 07-May-15 20:11:41

At the risk of sounding really thick who will you be giving you opinions to about what happens next ?

Tegan Thu 07-May-15 20:13:38

I think the play is on More4.

Tegan Thu 07-May-15 20:21:44

What time will the Farage vote be known? I need to stay up to watch that in the hope that he spontaneously combusts when he loses.

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 20:26:26

Tegan grin

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 20:26:40

nina it is a web site that collects names for petitions on various issues and puts them out to the interested parties.E.G. if they can get a petition with I think 150K signatures they can ask for a debate in parliament on the subject.

I think that is how it works but another gran may put me right.

annodomini Thu 07-May-15 20:32:10

By staying up I cannot affect the result. In the morning I will be able to see the big picture all at once. I am a very good sleeper!

annodomini Thu 07-May-15 20:34:32

In previous elections I would have been at the count until the declaration in the small hours. It will be a nice change to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

AshTree Thu 07-May-15 20:35:13

I can remember in the October '64 election several of us driving around all the constituencies in the area trying to catch the results live. We did manage to be there for a couple of them - very exciting. I was only 14, finally got home and crawled into bed about 4.30 am. My mother had no idea what time I'd come home (my parents were surprisingly liberal about our timekeeping!), so when she woke me, as usual, at 6.45 I explained that I'd only been in bed just over two hours. I can still remember my utter disbelief when she insisted nevertheless that I get up and go to school shock grin. That was a grim reminder to me that I was after all only 14 and not quite able to be in charge of my life just yet!

eGJ Thu 07-May-15 20:42:53

Did anyone else have the blank map of constituencies from The Times and colour all it in in all the right colours?? We did at at least three elections. I mean not to stay up, but may be tempted................or I'll get up very early and then may see. Oh Tegan what a lovely thought!!!!

eGJ Thu 07-May-15 20:48:09

The answer4 about when Nigel Farage's result should be declared is about 6 am tomorrow morning; I'll watch to see if your prediction comes true Tegan grin

Ana Thu 07-May-15 20:53:45

I don't think Niggle's going to oblige on the combustion front - he'll probably just shrug it off if he loses. Possibly with better grace than some of the other high-profile potential losers!

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 21:15:59

Well that's me well fed and wined and back in my room. Watching Paxman - quite funny. Hello again all- nighters.

Mishap Thu 07-May-15 21:25:15

Loopylou - you do not need to be ashamed of your "apathy." I do not think it is apathetic to just wait till the results are out tomorrow - heaven knows they will be repeated enough times throughout the day and, if things go as predicted, no actual decisions about who will govern us will be taken for several days. So.....a good night's sleep for me and switch on the radio tomorrow morning.

Good luck to all you night birds! - let us know if you manage to stay awake!

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 21:32:31

I thought loopy was making a wider point than just waiting until the results are out - that she was disenchanted with politicians in general? Or have I got that wrong?

grannyactivist Thu 07-May-15 22:01:16

Exit polls put Cameron on 316 and Labour on 239. SNP on 58, LibDems, 10 and UKIP on 2.

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 22:01:35

Oh f*

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 22:02:01

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 22:03:03

I can't bear it

Ana Thu 07-May-15 22:03:52

Well, there's a turn-up for the books.