Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cameron - a "shrewd & malevolent psychopath"?

(234 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 08-Jun-15 20:27:17

Not that I am suggesting such a thing, but here is a thought-provoking article from the Guardian :
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/01/david-cameron-moriarty-downing-street-radical-thatcher

(For those who don't like links, the title of this thread gives a good clue, so you can just go from there. smile)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Jun-15 22:27:10

He was talking about all of 'em. And I don't blame him. Too important for any messing about.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Jun-15 22:28:37

This shouldn't be about party politics. It's about the future of the UK. Every right minded person knows we should stay in.

durhamjen Mon 08-Jun-15 22:37:17

That's the whole point of a referendum, though, jingl. Every single vote counts.
Cameron was the one who offered a referendum to the whole of the electorate. That's why he was voted in again.
It's his fault that this is happening. You reap what you sow.

FarNorth Mon 08-Jun-15 22:38:03

So you're saying a good number of Tory MPs are not right-minded, jingl?

durhamjen Mon 08-Jun-15 22:38:51

Switch on to 130 now. They are discussing tomorrow's papers now.

Ana Mon 08-Jun-15 22:42:15

Cameron was the one who offered a referendum to the whole of the electorate. That's why he was voted in again.

Do you really believe that was the only reason people voted tory, durhamjen? I don't.

FarNorth Mon 08-Jun-15 22:45:46

Here's what the Financial Times had to say today :

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a00d0610-0df7-11e5-8ce9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3cVd7hO56

Cameron U-turn on Europe hints at political blunder

David Cameron called it a media “misinterpretation” but the UK prime minister’s apparent attempt to impose cabinet discipline bore the hallmarks of a political miscalculation.

durhamjen Mon 08-Jun-15 22:45:50

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/08/david-cameron-eu-referendum-brexit

The main one.

durhamjen Mon 08-Jun-15 22:48:04

Can't read your link, FarNorth. It's a paywall.

Hope you can read mine. They probably say much the same, that he was an idiot to say what he did.

durhamjen Mon 08-Jun-15 23:10:40

Every newspaper but two backed the Tories in the election. I find it hard to believe that every newspaper journalist misunderstood him yesterday, as they were nearly all on his side a month ago.

FarNorth Mon 08-Jun-15 23:40:20

Shame about the FT link. I didn't pay them anything but it won't let me in now, either.

Anyway, it says as above, and that the press believed they had reported accurately and that there were no corrections from Mr Cameron's direction after the first reports appeared, leading them to believe that what they printed was, indeed, what he had meant to say.

FarNorth Mon 08-Jun-15 23:47:30

Back to the original article. It says : "Cameron had us all talking about human rights legislation while quietly pursuing a TTIP trade deal that will make human rights meaningless compared with those of corporations."

What if David Cameron, or any Prime Minister we might have, was in fact a fiendishly clever psychopath, who manipulated our society for the personal gain of him/herself and their chosen others. What could society actually do about it, after the fact?

(That is a serious question, btw.)

durhamjen Mon 08-Jun-15 23:52:09

Makes him sound like Tony Blair.
We haven't been able to do anything about him -yet.

I read an article about why those who go to boarding school believe that they own the right to rule, along with their friends. That sounds like this present government.

Gracesgran Tue 09-Jun-15 00:08:40

Read the article and it is cleverly written even if there is a huge bias. The one thing that makes me shudder is "Most impressively, Cameron has managed all this without anybody being terribly worried by him" I agree with this and certainly think we will live to regret a large number of the population had not recognised where he intended to take us and what it would mean, not to other people but to them.

Eloethan Tue 09-Jun-15 01:19:05

jingle "every right minded person knows we should stay in"?

I'm of the view that a vote either in favour of remaining in the EU or leaving it means only that we will be ruled by one self-interested, self-seeking group or another. Whilst I believe the EU has brought many benefits in terms of consumer, environmental and employment protection, I feel that the EU has, like any other branch of the establishment, shown its true colours in its treatment of the Greek people.

In my opinion, David Cameron is no different from many of his Conservative colleagues - and probably a good deal less psychopathic than some of his ministerial and backbench colleagues.

grannyonce Tue 09-Jun-15 06:31:58

really
the definition of a psychopath
a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behaviour.
and there was I being called rude when I said I found NS of the SNP 'irritating' shock
double standards and the 'left' at their usual lowest.

Ceesnan Tue 09-Jun-15 06:51:37

I would be interested, durhamjen, to read the article about the boarding school theory if you could give me the details? I'm asking as my siblings, DH and indeed most of our friends had this education, and, as far as I can tell, not one of us believes we "have the right to rule". How fascinating - the next time I have a dinner party I will be looking out for signs of it!!

absentgrandma Tue 09-Jun-15 06:57:52

I must take issue with you here Durhamjen . My daughter went to a boarding school,and she certainly doesn't want to rule the world. She just wants to grow her little business so she can help pay the rent!! Oh dear ...she's guilty of belonging to the capitalist society you despise so much.

Anya Tue 09-Jun-15 07:10:54

I must take issue with you to Durhamjen about those who go to boarding schools, and caution you not to believe everything you read in 'articles'. It is important to try to understand that much of what is printed is simply one person's opinion and not fact.

Stansgran Tue 09-Jun-15 07:17:47

Hear hear Anya . I am always amazed that people believe everything the press writes as fact. That there is no such thing as spin. And keep adding links as if that is the right opinion.

Anya Tue 09-Jun-15 07:35:57

And, though there are many balanced articles around, much of what is written by the press is simply to sell their paper or their own philosophy Stansgran .

People believe what they want to believe and cherry pick views and articles which reflect their own beliefs, often without passing them through a reality filter.

loopylou Tue 09-Jun-15 07:38:52

dj I take umbrage at your sweeping generalisation about boarding school education believe they own the right to rule, along with their friends, complete poppycock IMO.

if that was in the press then it's a pity you take it as gospel; since when has any of the press been impartial?

As for DC being a 'psychopath', it's a pity presumably intelligent people have to stoop to insults to make 'their' point.

whenim64 Tue 09-Jun-15 07:53:58

There were several references in the run up to the election to the effect of the elite schools like Harrow and Eton, whose culture is to indoctrinate pupils into the belief that they have entitlement to run the country and big business. The attitude of their pupils was demonstrated to be significantly different because of this, and the expectations of parents sending their sons to these schools was that they should be groomed for such roles. Can't remember which programmes did items on this - Newsnight and the like - I'm sure others will remember seeing something, too.

loopylou Tue 09-Jun-15 07:57:46

That may be so for the very few 'elite' schools but definitely not for the thousands of people who didn't attend those 'esteemed' establishments (thank heavens).

FarNorth Tue 09-Jun-15 08:04:03

Most people I know did not have a boarding school education.
One friend who did have that, has commented to us on the expectation that people like him have, of their right to get what they want, whatever that might be.
He did not say it as a putdown on anyone else, just a factual statement.