Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Conservative Conference

(207 Posts)
Gracesgran Sat 03-Oct-15 20:48:49

Has anything happened yet? It seems strangely silent.

Marmight Mon 05-Oct-15 08:40:22

Exactly Iam64
Mr G. Brown, LABOUR, who was PM for all of ten minutes ( he lives nearby) has armed police protection and will do for the rest of his life. It's nothing unusual so why make such an issue of it??

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 08:47:04

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/11910635/George-Osbornes-tax-credit-problem-is-dishonesty-not-cruelty.html

Anyone recognise themselves in this?

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 08:48:55

"The defence of the decision to put marksmen on the roofs of buildings (including that housing the Conservative Party Conference) is pitifully weak.

“Purely for observation”? Because the sights are “stronger than any pair of binoculars”?

Then why were these sights still attached to rifles?"

Anniebach Mon 05-Oct-15 09:40:03

Police protection is one thing, even the windsors don't have snipers on roof tops

Gracesgran Mon 05-Oct-15 09:49:30

Reading more of the article I quoted further back I am really struck by the lack of members in the Conservative party. The author, Stephen Bush, says "The Tories have become the zombies of British politics; still moving though dead from the neck down."

I wonder if this is a big difference in the offer from Conservatives and Labour. In one case people are happy almost to "buy" their politics in the other they want to be involved.

We have had no comments on this thread about Tory policies from right wingers although they knew what they didn't want - both in policy but almost more in presentation - from Labour and were vociferous on the Labour Conference thread.

Interesting.

nigglynellie Mon 05-Oct-15 10:06:00

Perhaps we just can't be bothered, because we know we'll be shouted down and bombarded with 'links' starting yet another pathetic playground argument. I notice rent a mob is alive and well, eggs are one thing, but spitting?!!! I sometimes wonder what it would take for any of you leftwingers to offer any sort of protection to anyone. I think if IS or anyone else were doing a William the Conqueror you people would welcome them with peace songs and white poppies, and then really wonder why the response was negative to say the least! We're on high alert for a terrorist attack, or haven't you heard? So it would seem fairly obvious that the government of the day, Tory or Labour when gathered under the same roof would need protection. I think anyone could work that out!

rosesarered Mon 05-Oct-15 10:38:30

Exactly, nigglienellie and also Iam64, Jane and Marmight.
pleasanter to leave them this thread all to themselves to gripe about things.
byeeeeee.

Elegran Mon 05-Oct-15 10:50:44

Mmm, Brighton 1984. Thirrty one years ago and terrorism has now moved on. Wiping out an entire government and a lot of their top supporters in one go would be a great coup.

Any other conference of a party in power would offer the same temptations. It is not just about the party you hate.

janeainsworth Mon 05-Oct-15 10:51:13

Gracesgran I have found whenever I have raised a point or asked a genuine question on the political threads, it is either ignored, answered with a non sequitur or a link is posted by way of an answer.
Reasonable discussion based on logic or even genuinely held beliefs is not in evidence.
That's why I've decided to limit my involvement, since you ask.

Elegran Mon 05-Oct-15 11:30:48

ja I don't post anything political on the political threads, it is not worth being savaged.

I restrict myself to pointing out illogical absurdities (and am still savaged!)

nigglynellie Mon 05-Oct-15 11:52:52

I agree, no point being constantly shouted down. I save my opinions for the ballot box, which most of the silent majority do one way or the other.

whitewave Mon 05-Oct-15 12:03:35

Some Tories are suggesting that the out and out lie over child tax credits may well be this governments poll tax

whitewave Mon 05-Oct-15 12:10:03

Someone earning £7000 is having £1300 taken away. The Tories have no mandate for this as it was not in their manifesto.

whitewave Mon 05-Oct-15 12:12:34

Apparently this is a *difficult" decision. No doubt particularly for all the members in the cabinet who will lose outangry

Gracesgran Mon 05-Oct-15 12:24:44

nigglynellie, rosesarered, Elegran, you all seem to be saying that you will only post negative posts sad.

Whitewave has raised what seems to be the biggest talking point at the conference - the cuts in tax credits. If you believe that the Conservatives have got it right why not put forward your arguments. I don't promise not to disagree but I will be unfailingly polite in my challenges. Obviously if you choose not to read it like that there is not much I can do and there are some people in this world who think that by disagreeing people are not being polite but I am sure you do not have the sense of entitlement to agreement whatever you say so we should be able to discuss the cuts in a reasonable manner.

nigglynellie Mon 05-Oct-15 12:28:37

You're right, we should, but you and I know perfectly well that we won't. One to one maybe, but other input would render this impossible. Best just to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Anniebach Mon 05-Oct-15 12:29:16

So the chancellor has said they will be a government for the many, sod the rest it seems

Anniebach Mon 05-Oct-15 12:31:24

Is it fair to take money off low paid working families now and give them a percentage back in 2020?

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 13:44:14

No it isn't fair, Anniebach, but whoever said this government would be fair?

Would anyone like to say why we are on high alert?
Could it be because of Cameron killing people in Syria using drones, the use of which he has promised to increase?

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 13:54:09

Osborne talking about the new national living wage. He hasn't learnt anything if he's still calling it that. I do not think I've heard one phrase that he hasn't said before.

Eloethan Mon 05-Oct-15 13:59:08

nigglynellie If anyone is becoming unpleasant, it is you. Because someone puts forward a view with which you don't agree or responds to a statement with which they don't agree, it isn't "shouting down" or a "pathetic playground argument" it is what is known as debate. Some people believe that the cut in tax credits is wrong because it targets people who are already struggling. If supporters of the cuts feel so strongly that they are a good idea, why not put forward your reasons for thinking that way.

My husband and I were part of what you and others have so charmingly described as "rent a mob". We left home at 8 a.m. and didn't get back until 12 midnight because we wanted to join with other like-minded people to express our disgust at this Tory government's attack on the poor of this country and on our valued institutions such as the NHS. The "I" reported that there were an estimated 100,000 people at that demonstration and, from what I saw, people were well behaved and good humoured. If an idiot spat at a journalist, that is to be deplored, but one or two idiots don't represent the people of all ages and backgrounds who demonstrated yesterday. As for the egg-throwing incident, there is a suspicion that the whole thing was rigged - one would not expect a young Conservative to be ostentatiously present at an anti-austerity demonstration and yet it appears someone conveniently had a raw egg about his person to throw at him.

The conclusion of the march ended in speeches and, unlike two years ago when a largish park area was allocated, this year a very unsuitable space had been allocated which could in no way contain the huge number of demonstrators. It was to the marchers' credit that, when the police stood across the road to prevent any more coming into the space where the speeches were being held, there was no trouble.

A group of young doctors addressed the audience to express their concerns at privatisation and the new contracts which will involve them in working more hours for less pay and which will inevitably put patient care at risk. These are not hot-headed "far-left" firebrands - they are professional people who have studied for many years to do a highly responsible job - and they fear that as more and more young doctors leave the country the NHS will implode.

In the Guardian on Saturday, Gavin Francis - a GP - wrote about the way in which private healthcare companies load work and expense onto the NHS. IN his long article, he gave some examples.

One of his young patients had had two bouts of tonsillitis and his father insisted that he be referred for a tonsillectomy. The GP explained that there are specific criteria for this (which had not been met). There is a risk of haemorrhaging and infection after this surgery and so it is only done when deemed absolutely necessary. A private healthcare company, however, agreed to do it, despite normal evidence-based practice. The patient went on to need NHS hospital admission to address the subsequent complications (bleeding and infection) and several of the GP's own clinic appointments were used to deal with the aftermath. Gavin Francis then went on to detail several other ways in which private healthcare impacts upon the NHS, amongst them:

"They [private healthcare companies] can use NHS facilities and NHS staff to care for their sickest patients when their own facilities are not up to standard."

"Prices in the private sector are kept artificially low because, in the UK at least, private providers can avoid paying for the fall-out of their mistakes - the NHS will follow up any post-operative problems and if anything goes wrong an NHS ambulance can be called ....... their success is predicated on the existence of a robust NHS."

These are the sorts of issues that the people on that demonstration were concerned about.

www.theguardian.com/books/2015/oct/02/profit-not-patients-risks-private-medicine

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 14:51:30

Well done, Eloethan, for going. I was hoping you would have been there and be able to tell us what is going on.

I think far too many people do not realise how much the NHS has changed in the last two years. The biggest changes are yet to come.

"George Osborne has told Conservatives to "extend our hand" to people who feel "completely abandoned" by Labour's new leadership.

In his conference speech in Manchester, the chancellor said the Tories had created a "new centre ground" and were "the true party of labour"."

I can't imagine many people taking that hand.

nigglynellie Mon 05-Oct-15 15:42:47

No, I've never been unpleasant, exasperated maybe, but not to the point of swearing, nor do I post endless links from the newspaper I read. Argument with the far left is always impossible, so leave it at that.

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 17:00:13

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/computers-should-make-more-decisions-in-the-nhs-instead-of-doctors-jeremy-hunt-says-a6679966.html

Jeremy Hunt has managed to solve the doctor crisis in the NHS.
So sorry for another link, niggly. You do not have to read it.

It will not solve the problem in my local hospital, however. There is a discussion next week about the fact that there are not enough doctors in A&E.

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 17:28:06

I would like to congratulate Osborne on taking another of the Labour party's ideas. One of George Osborne’s big announcements in his keynote speech to the Conservative party conference was the news he was setting up a National Infrastructure Commission to speed up major road, rail, air, housing and energy projects.

"But when the idea was proposed by Labour earlier this year, two Tory ministers dismissed it as “neither necessary nor something that the Government will entertain".

“The last thing we need is another quango,” Lord Sasson, a Treasury minister, said when he was asked about it in the House of Lords in January.

And asked by Labour MP Diana Johnson in March why the Government was “blocking Labour’s plans for an independent infrastructure commission, life sciences minister George Freeman was equally dismissive:

“What we need is not more bureaucracy and commissions, but continued progress on infrastructure investment," he said in the Commons."

He obviously forgot that it wasn't Tory party policy.