Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn declines to meet the Queen.

(242 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 08-Oct-15 09:35:15

just heard that Corbyn declined to meet the Queen and join the Privy Council.He will be the first Leader of the Opposition to do this, or the first Leader of the Government come to that.Interesting!
Another thing that won't sit well with the voting public, along with not singing the National Anthem ( but lustily singing the red flag song.)
He is keeping to his principles ( as a back bencher) but this can't end well for a would be Leader.

LullyDully Sun 11-Oct-15 12:02:26

So on holiday walking in Scotland having a well earned rest. Good for him.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 12:03:59

Really? A strange time to take a holiday I would have thought.

Ana Sun 11-Oct-15 12:05:46

A rest? He's hardly got going yet...

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 12:14:52

Why not a holiday? Why is it a strange time to holiday ? We have people take walking holidays here through the year . I spent a two week walking holiday in Yorkshire in October , strange ? No, a lovely time of year for walking holidays . Just remembered had a two week holiday in Paris in October too.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 12:19:10

.... For a politician, we mean.Yes, a lovely time of year, but not if you are the leader of a political party, new to the job.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 12:28:43

Parliament was closed, labour conference over , a good time surely . He had to work through the summer, then the leader election, then selecting a shadow cabinet, then party conference. Nothing odd about a few days holiday, just nit picking now

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 16:55:58

He is getting on a bit, he was probably worn out poor chap.
And a walking holiday would give him an opportunity to have a good think.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 17:57:36

Don't think his age means he needs a holiday, Cameron took three during the summer break

Ana Sun 11-Oct-15 18:01:24

I wondered when someone would bring that up! grin

LullyDully Sun 11-Oct-15 18:02:58

I suppose as he is getting on a bit, he will get tired.

His role is hardly a part time one leading to retirement.

All a bit late for him but he looks chipper so we will have to see.

He seems to me more of a catylist than the next PM

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 18:36:08

Maybe a wee dram or two in Scotland will revive him.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 18:42:04

Churchill led this country through the war when older and was leader of the opposition until aged 77

Ana Sun 11-Oct-15 18:44:28

He did seem to require quite a lot of liquid fortification though, by all accounts!

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 18:51:27

True, and suffered a stroke which the press repressed

LuckyDucky Tue 27-Oct-15 10:43:23

If JC were to be PM, lol, he'd have to meet the Queen. If that numpty refused, it would it provoke serious constitutional problems?

I find some of JC's ideas unpalatable. You don't throw your stick away when confronted by bullies.

If we had a less punitive Tory government JC wouldn't have risen to sit
on the front bench.hmm

durhamjen Tue 27-Oct-15 10:57:13

I think you'll find he has already met her. Old news.