Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sharm el Sheikh

(74 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-15 19:01:47

The Foreign Office has halted flight to Sharm el Sheikh on the basis that it is possible the plane which broke up in mid air soon after leaving the resort, may have been the victim of terrorism. A bomb is suspected.
A couple of days ago the Russians were denying Islamic State could have been involved and suggesting the plane simply broke up.

I've never been to Sharm, it isn't somewhere that has appealed to me but I know many people who have enjoyed the 5* hotels, winter sunshine etc. I feel for the Egyptians who work in the hotels, tourism has been dwindling in recent times. I also feel angry that it seems the terrorists are succeeding in causing mayhem in Muslim countries where a more secular society has been growing and western tourists enjoying the hospitality.

What's to be done!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 15:48:55

Exactly sunseeker.

dj our people only picked up the information after the event. As I said, the awful event itself should have alerted the Russians to stop all flights, and do what we are doing to get their people home. To Putin it's just a chance to knock the West, any way he can.

Anya Sat 07-Nov-15 15:53:00

Is this the same Putin who denied a Russian-built middle brought down a passenger plane over Ukraine recently?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 15:53:37

You are just using this as another chance to knock Cameron dj. That's not really good with something like this. Verging on the obsessive now.

Anya Sat 07-Nov-15 15:54:03

middle missile

Anya Sat 07-Nov-15 15:55:10

Only verging ??? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 15:55:39

Maybe Alya but tit-for-tat really should not come into it. Not where innocent human lives are concerned.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 15:56:34

I mean Anya. (Two names merging in my brain now) grin

durhamjen Sat 07-Nov-15 15:57:59

As I said earlier, I thought the cold war was over. Surely if Cameron had told Putin before the media, Putin would not have been able to knock the west.
Aren't we just playing into Putin's hands by not sharing intelligence about something so terrible?
The other thing is, as I said, it's not diplomatic to tell the papers before telling Putin and Egypt. It's making it look as though they are not important enough. I think it's also disrespectful to those dead Russians.

Nobody has yet said what they would say if the reverse had happened.

nigglynellie Sat 07-Nov-15 15:58:19

I don't actually think that any of us are in any position to criticize government action on the intelligence front as none of us are privy to what goes on between nations at international level. We can only make a judgement by what the media churns out, some of which can be a bit dubious. It is the prime duty of any government to protect and defend all its citizens, and, thank goodness we have a government that acted immediately, when alerted, to do exactly that. What would people have prefered? business as usual while politicians dithered around, with a meeting here, and a bit of hand wringing there, as another plane was blown out of the sky?!! We give the terrorists enough to laugh themselves silly over at our expense on a depressingly regular basis, without giving them another incident on a plate to congratulate themselves over.

Anya Sat 07-Nov-15 16:00:15

I didn't even consider tit-for-tat jingl especially when so many innocent lives have been lost. But I did hope that instead of driving Russia and the West further apart, it might actually unite us more in the fight against Daesh. Sadly I doubt it as Putin's ego makes him an unlikely team player.

Anya Sat 07-Nov-15 16:01:06

The Cold War has been resuccuated for quite a while now.

Anya Sat 07-Nov-15 16:01:27

Resuccuated?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 16:07:35

You are over-thinking it dj.

merlotgran Sat 07-Nov-15 16:24:12

I don't expect to be told too much about intelligence reports and whom they're shared with. Isn't that the point of having information gleaned in such a way?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 16:42:58

I would hate to think we would keep any life saving information to ourselves, regardless of who the innocent victims-to-be were. On the other hand, would we be asking to much of our people to expect them to safeguard other nations as well as ourselves?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 16:43:32

too

nigglynellie Sat 07-Nov-15 16:46:42

well, exactly. A lot of what politicians say about what they do or don't know about lots of things are often for their own public consumption, which could well be case in this scenario. Putin needs public support at home so what better than to blame the west for his own failings, that is not banning Russian flights immediately after this awful event, as we undoubtedly would have had it been a UK plane. That of course is somehow the fault of the west and not his own bumbling?!!!!!!

Tegan Sat 07-Nov-15 16:59:38

Not sure if it was from watching The Imitation Game or a documentary about that time, but it was pointed out how important it was, when gathering information, not to act upon everything because, by doing that you made it obvious that you had the means to gather information from certain sources. We don't know how much information is acted upon these days [or how many terrible things have been averted]; I guess we have to trust the people out there that are doing everything they can to protect us. It's a very frightening world we live in these days sad.

nigglynellie Sat 07-Nov-15 17:18:52

Tegan, I'm sure you're right, intelligence is a dangerous murky business, and keeping us safe a security nightmare. We certainly do live in a very terrifying world where there are no easy answers as nothing is in black and white. All we can do is trust our government of the day to keep us safe, and say our prayers!!

Iam64 Sun 08-Nov-15 07:11:56

Durhamjen, you say that th uk is supposed to be fighting in Syria with Putin. No, there hasn't been a vote in parliament on that. The air raids in which th uk supports US bombing in Syria is aimed at Assad and in support of the rebels. Cameron spoke recently in favour of regime change. The Russians are supporting Assad.
How do you know tha the Egyptians and Russian governments are getting their formation about British intelligence from our media, rather Han via diplomatic sources. Honestly, I find that difficult to believe

NfkDumpling Sun 08-Nov-15 07:32:49

Yet, a British bloke is now preparing to fly out to the space station with a Russian and an Amercan on a Russian space craft.

It's all just a game to our heads of state, they think they're on Mount Olympus.

durhamjen Sun 08-Nov-15 11:44:35

Where did I say that, Iam?

This is what I said.

"David Cameron is supposed to be our head of state. He is supposed to want us to fight in Syria along with the Russians.
Giving Putin the information would, in my opinion, have actually shown a bit of statesmanship. After all, the cold war is supposed to be over, isn't it?"

Nowhere did I say that the UK is supposed to be fighting in Syria with Putin.

POGS Sun 08-Nov-15 12:17:14

Durhamjen

You are obviously knowledgable about what has happened so can I ask 'Exactly what information should Cameron have given Putin.?