Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tumble drier warning

(58 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 09-Feb-16 14:27:46

Shocked to read that a woman has died in a fire caused by a faulty tumble drier. It is thought that the fluff came into contact with the heating element.
As I have the same model I have had a letter from Hotpoint stressing the importance of cleaning the fluff from the filter. I do this anyway but I think this needs a lot more publicity to prevent it happening again.

Welshwife Thu 18-Feb-16 15:54:51

I have not be offered any deal on a new one - BUT the repaired one was brought back on Monday afternoon - sounded fine - Tuesday I put a load in and switched on - had a feeling and when I opened the door realised the drum was not turning!!! Emails and phone calls and the man is coming again tomorrow afternoon. Luckily we had a nice sunny day yesterday and I hit everything dry.

mrsmopp Thu 03-Mar-16 19:35:55

I have just heard from Hotpoint that it will be November before my tumble drier will be checked and serviced. Like others I have been offered a new drier for £99 and the recommended price is £299.
It is the one previously mentioned on here, as it has a very large capacity and a huge door. Hotpoint claim it is more economic to run.
Has anyone accepted this offer? I think I will go to Curry's and have a look at it before deciding. Was wondering if anyone has this model, what they thought of it.

Jalima Thu 03-Mar-16 20:08:15

My neighbour was offered a new one for £59 and took up the offer; I think she had had her other one for 3 years so thought it was a good deal.
She keeps it in the garage.

Conni7 Wed 23-Mar-16 18:03:44

As the service to my condenser dryer was not to be until July, I opted to change it for the vented one at £59, which so far I am very pleased with. My other one was only about 9 months old, but I was fed up with all the cleaning of fluff and tipping out of water. The large piece at the bottom which has to be cleaned out wouldn't fit under my tap, so I'm happier with a vented one.

rosesarered Wed 23-Mar-16 18:18:40

The one they offer is ugly, but if you can tuck it away aomewhere, that wouldn't matter.Go online and look at a pic of it, it has a large porthole instead of the door opening and a big handle.Still no date to get mine fixed!

Floradora9 Wed 23-Mar-16 19:31:17

Anyone who is give a date well into the future get complaining . Go on the website e-mail the general manager do not accept it. We kicked up a fuss and got our sorted swiftly. If you look at MartinLew's Money Saving Expert site he has tip to-day about how to go about it.

mrsmopp Mon 28-Mar-16 11:24:34

I accepted the offer of a new machine for £59. It was delivered within a couple of days and I am very happy with it. They took away the old machine and I was told they could not be re-used and would all be scrapped.
It must have cost Hotpoint a fortune!!