Gransnet forums

News & politics

How will you vote in the EU referendum? (Thread 2)

(1000 Posts)
MrsHerMarbles Fri 04-Mar-16 10:42:58

The previous discussion on this got to 1000 posts so I'm starting a new thread so we can continue talking about it here. Here's a link to the previous thread.

petra Fri 04-Mar-16 10:48:39

I see the head of The British Chamber of Commerce has come out in favour of leaving the EU.

POGS Fri 04-Mar-16 11:12:08

Bugger I never noticed !

Now all the interesting posts will simply go into the ether, what a shame.

POGS Fri 04-Mar-16 11:16:18

Definitely going to learn how to cut and paste. grin.

jacky99 Fri 04-Mar-16 12:05:26

I will be voting to stay in! I also think UK nationals living in Europe should have a vote, we were in the EU when they made the decision to move and the outcome of the referendum could have a huge impact on their lives.

Lavande Fri 04-Mar-16 12:11:24

jacky99 UK nationals do have a vote in the referendum, but only if they have lived away from the UK for less than 15 years. The goalposts got moved from all UK nationals to the same criteria that is applied to UK General Elections.

thatbags Fri 04-Mar-16 13:41:36

Apparently a majority of ethnic minority Conservative MPs are backing Leave at the moment.

Teetime Fri 04-Mar-16 14:05:21

Still OUT for me.

petra Fri 04-Mar-16 14:10:46

thatbags. Thanks for that. Very interesting, I'm not surprised though.

Luckylegs9 Fri 04-Mar-16 15:53:27

At least two Labour ex Primeministers have secured nice jobs in Strasberg for their offspring. Being in Europe is the biggest waste of money ever and jobs for the boys, the traveling expenses alone is enough to frighten anyone.What is wrong in managing our own country. We should not have Europe telling us our laws are wrong. If we had been able to apply our own laws without going everything being overturned by Europe, we would not have had people that don't work and preach hate about the country they chose to live in because of our generous benefit system, and give them legal aid to pursue their actions, plus we give them homes and find their legal proceedings. So I cannot see what Europe has done for us and why anyone would vote to stay in. If we do stay in we will just be absorbed into a massive Federation, there won't be a Great in Britain anymore.

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Mar-16 16:05:06

The more I read, the more I am determined to vote to leave the EU. So it's still a no from me.

durhamjen Fri 04-Mar-16 17:18:30

Luckylegs, do you not think the offspring could have got the jobs in Strasbourg for themselves?

Thatbags, majority of Tory ethnic minority MPs?
That's a whole nine votes.
Not really worried about that.

petra Fri 04-Mar-16 17:35:52

I for one don't think the 'offspring' got the jobs themselves.
And it's still 9 votes that the in campaign don't have.

TriciaF Fri 04-Mar-16 17:37:36

A reply to Lavande at the end of the previous thread :
Your view is the same as mine (we live in SW France.) You explain it well.
BUT .... it's not so easy to "sell up" now. Many of us would be stuck here and have to find another solution.
Husband says he'll stay here through thick and thin.

petra Fri 04-Mar-16 17:44:23

I have friends who live in Bulgaria and Romania. They have been advised that nothing will change.

quizqueen Fri 04-Mar-16 17:47:29

Definitely 'LEAVE for me and nothing will persuade me otherwise. If anyone wants to help by delivering leaflets, having a car sticker, helping campaign or giving someone housebound a lift on polling day then please sign up with any of these groups at www.voteleave, www.leave.eu, www.betteroffout.net or www.grassrootsout.co.uk. Thank you.

petra Fri 04-Mar-16 18:18:15

Quizqueen. Thank you for that. I've signed up. I wonder if they do flags, I love a flag.

NfkDumpling Fri 04-Mar-16 18:41:20

I assume those 'ex-pats' living in EU countries may possibly end up with the same conditions as those living in non-EU countries, such as frozen pensions? Isn't that fairer? It'll just be the same as those who've moved to Commonwealth countries.

Lavande Fri 04-Mar-16 18:53:56

Hi TriciaF I anticipate the same, that selling up may not be the best option in the immediate months in the event of a vote to leave. For one thing, I would expect the value of sterling to drop even lower against the euro. However, our experience in the middle of France is that it is the French who are buying and we would not be looking to the British market anyway. Plus, it is being reported that any change to reciprocal treaties would take about two years to take effect.

Hold your nerve! It is early days and I am going to continue planting up my garden.

durhamjen Fri 04-Mar-16 19:08:44

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-department-of-health-tells-vote-leave-campaign-to-stop-using-official-nhs-logo-in-its-a6910031.html

Brexit being naughty.

ffinnochio Fri 04-Mar-16 19:12:13

I'm holding my nerve, Lavande, here in SWFrance. My husband has made his decision, but I am still undecided. I agree with you re. reciprocal treaties and planning the garden smile

durhamjen Fri 04-Mar-16 19:29:03

Does planning take less time than planting?
Sorry, ffinnochio.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/03/04/the-eu-referendum-debate-is-now-little-more-than-a-macho-bat

At least we are not the USA.

Jalima Fri 04-Mar-16 20:04:20

POGS
In case you haven't found out already:

highlight the text you want to cut and paste with your mouse,
press Control + C
Go to your new post and press Control + V
Put those little inverted v's around each end (leaving no spaces)

Definitely going to learn how to cut and paste.

Ana Fri 04-Mar-16 20:15:00

Or

Highlight the text you want to copy.

Right-click your mouse and select copy (no need to 'cut')

That will store the test in your mouse's memory, you can to go your post and right-click your mouse and select paste.

That's my method, but I only ever use my PC and mouse.

thatbags Fri 04-Mar-16 20:49:45

I read an article in support on Remain and another in support of Leave today. Both good. I've decided that what I've read so far in favour of Remain is, on the whole, pessimistic and what I've read so far in favour of Leave is, on the whole, optimisitic.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion