Gransnet forums

News & politics

Referendum leaflets

(87 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 08-Apr-16 21:59:58

Am I alone in being appalled that £9 million of our money is to be spent on pro-EU leaflets for every house on behalf of the government? Where is the £9 million for the leave campaign? This is so undemocratic.

I plan to send mine back to the PM at No 10.

nigglynellie Sat 16-Apr-16 17:54:01

Sorry, assuming - read as you! this b.... y kindle has a mind of its own!!

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:39:09

Did anyone watch the Nick Robinson programme on the history of Britain's entry into the EEC. Very interesting. What a b...ard D'Gaulle was
Yes, I watched it and look forward to the next one.
Well worth watching on iPlayer if anyone missed it.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Apr-16 06:38:22

That Nick Robinson programme gave a lot of insight, I thought, into the way the other European countries think. It's strengthened my deciding we should leave. We're never going to be the 'Big Player' government likes to imply we are, Britain is just too unpopular. I think France, Germany and many other members see us as a cash cow.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Apr-16 06:40:58

And, is it true there's a strong movement in Holland for them to have their own In/ Out referendum?

whitewave Sun 17-Apr-16 09:40:22

The reason we Gaulle was not keen in Briton was because he saw us and too a point the French still do as too Anglo Saxon.

The French in particular have always been keen to distinguish themselves from America, and have always whenever possible developed a European model of the economy etc. No bad thing in my opinion.
Post war they considered the UK was too keen on the old colonial thing and understood sooner than the old guard in the UK that the era was past.
The UK was also keen through the Churchilian connection to retain a special relationship with the UK. Europe was keen to stand on its own two feet.

It was only after Europe was racing ahead economically that we tried to join the club.

whitewave Sun 17-Apr-16 09:41:28

Special relationship with USA

nigglynellie Sun 17-Apr-16 10:29:16

deGaulle saw us as an island race with an island mentality, and up to a point I think he was right, and probably still is! The French were every bit as much a colonial power as we were along with Germany and Holland. France and this country have historically hated each other for centuries, up till the entente cordial in the early 1900's. When my parents travelled in France in the 1950's, vive l'angleterre, was heard everywhere, so maybe the population weren't so anti us as their president! The one country that doesn't hate us are the Netherlands as my lovely Dutch friends constantly remind me, but that again is for recent historic reasons.

Eloethan Sun 17-Apr-16 11:48:56

As far as I have read, people in the Netherlands are calling for a referendum on TTIP, not on the EU.

Ana Sun 17-Apr-16 12:00:22

I thought the vote was against the association with Ukraine (the 'againsts' won by the way).

Luckygirl Sun 17-Apr-16 12:14:34

I think the Dutch are wanting a referendum from my reading.

nigglynellie Sun 17-Apr-16 13:23:22

I think , only think, that they're waiting to see what we do, in or out!!