Gransnet forums

News & politics

Child refugees

(170 Posts)
JessM Thu 28-Apr-16 20:37:03

There is growing pressure on the government to do its bit to help the EU look after unaccompanied child refugees, currently in Greece, Calais, Macedonia and other locations.
Some of them have lost parents during their flight. Some have relatives in this country who would like to give them a home if David Cameron would allow them into the UK. All of them are at risk.
It is thought that large numbers are disappearing - possibly being abused and exploited.
Please see this article in The Guardian, written by a Tory MP - one of the ones who voted against the government on this issue, earlier this week.
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/27/refugees-children-at-risk-voted-tory-whip-stephen-phillips

Yvette Cooper and Alf Dubs are doing a sterling job keeping this issue live in Westminster. Yvette made a powerful speech - see link.

leftfootforward.org/2016/04/watch-yvette-cooper-shame-david-cameron-on-child-refugees-at-pmqs/
Here is a link to the petition being promoted by Alf Dubs and Yvette
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128833

durhamjen Thu 23-Jun-16 22:20:56

I guess you didn't read about child detainees being unlawfully detained. Don't you think that is quite mean?

durhamjen Thu 23-Jun-16 22:19:50

Of course I watch Sport Relief and Red Nose Day, petra. It's got nothing to do with how much money is raised.
That's a pathetic attack.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jun-16 22:18:06

Just seen a friend of mine tonight. She told me that they had a talk at the church last Sunday about the difference between asylum seekers and refugees. They were given lots of figures.
Everyone who was going to vote leave changed their minds and voted to remain, because of the difference betwen the two campaigns.

petra Thu 23-Jun-16 18:56:30

durhamjen Have you ever watched Red Nose Day or Sport Relief? I think that would be a no. Too busy bashing Britain.

Joelsnan Thu 23-Jun-16 18:48:22

Durhamjen no way is UK a mean country, with a population of 63 million (at least) we have quickly become a very densely populated country.
I find those who would welcome anyone who mentions the word refugee as naive, anyone can use this term without real justification. Having worked amongst many if the nationalities now sat waiting to come over I can tell you that the ones that we should be concerned about are those who are stuck in the refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan, those (mainly women and children) who do not have the financial means and live in abject poverty.
There is a UN process for the movement of refugees which those at Dover are trying to circumvent to the detriment of those in the Arab camps who may have a more valid case for rehousing. Good on the UK government for only sourcing refugees for rehousing from these camps and adhering to the standard UN processes.
The U.K. is one of the worlds largest aid donors both governmental and via charitable organisations.
Again, having worked with theses nationalities both Arab and African, their reasons for wanting to come to UK specifically is (verbatim) "I want to go to England, they give you free houses, you get free education and healthcare'. All of which are private in their own countries and need paying for. There is an ongoing dreadful war in Yemen, (beautiful people) where is the sympathy there? Where are the refugees?.
U.K. Has always been a benevolent country and will continue to be so.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jun-16 17:47:43

We are a mean country.

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2016/06/23/child-refugees-are-unlawfully-detained-by-the-home-office

durhamjen Sun 19-Jun-16 18:58:50

Brexit will make us a mean country.

thatbags Sun 19-Jun-16 18:01:59

I read the link ?

thatbags Sun 19-Jun-16 17:59:45

My argument remains the same if you meant successful, dj. Only mean countries would only accept "successful" refugees.

Successful non-refugee migrants is another matter.

durhamjen Sun 19-Jun-16 17:24:54

Did any of you read the link?
I said they would want them to come if they are successful. Did I mention the word worthy? Don't think so.
Are you denying that Brexit says it can cut immigration by two thirds?

Perhaps you ought to read Brexit information on immigrants it deems to be acceptable, and those which are not wanted. It will decide what skills are needed. However, the UK always wants people whose abilities enhance our reputation, whether deserved or not.
It would be interesting to know how many migrant athletes have been denied the right to live here.

thatbags Sun 19-Jun-16 15:59:48

I agree, niggly. It's the political equivalent of racism.

nigglynellie Sun 19-Jun-16 15:20:41

Why 'even Brexiters'? People voting leave aren't by definition wicked immigrant haters! Labelling people like this is unintelligent,insulting and bordering on racist.

thatbags Sun 19-Jun-16 15:12:22

Not if they're settled in Germany, dj. And I agree with harri that your argument is fallacious. Any country worth its salt would want 'unworthy' (by your apparent definition) refugees too, just out of plain humanity. The argument about immigrants isn't about refugees. It's about migrants, only some of whom are refugees. It's deceptive to keep collating (merging) the two.

harrigran Sun 19-Jun-16 14:39:01

Bloody tablet, a person not aversion.

harrigran Sun 19-Jun-16 14:38:08

No, why would being an athlete make aversion more worthy? Strange idea of what is important.

durhamjen Sun 19-Jun-16 01:21:31

Again not just about child refugees, but a happy story.
There is a refugee team of ten going to the Olympics in Rio.
Some of them arrived in Europe by pushing the boat that they arrived in when it was threatening to capsize. Such brave people.

www.opendemocracy.net/transformation/christopher-zumski-finke/olympians-without-nations-first-ever-team-of-refugees-heads-

I bet even Brexiters would want these to come to Britain if they are successful in Rio.

Nonnie1 Mon 23-May-16 12:17:13

I've signed smile

durhamjen Mon 23-May-16 11:33:22

This is not just about child refugees, but it's about families as well.
Do you remember last year when there was an outcry about refugees on Teesside being put into houses with red doors.
The company that did it said it wasn't intentional. The owner was brought before a committee in parliament and said it would be rectified.

www.opendemocracy.net/uk/shinealight/john-grayson/asylum-seekers-with-red-doors-are-still-being-targeted-by-racists

It hasn't been. Asylum seekers are still behind red doors, arson attacks are happening.
This man should be taken to court for contempt of parliament. He should not be allowed to house asylum seekers and make money from the taxpayer.

Welshwife Sat 07-May-16 15:35:25

The lucky ones have had some schooling while in the camps - the main one in Calais was knocked ow when the Junglewas cleared - they have tried to start another one up and I think there is one at the Funkirk camp - but it is obviously not the amount of schooling they should be getting. It is likely that their Math ability will be reasonable if they attended school in their home country but their language skills will needs lot of help. I wonder if any plans are being made to help these youngsters.

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 15:20:21

Why not imagine them at Eton? these teenagers often come from well off backgrounds, and may well have had a very good standard of living in Syria before the war there.Even if they didn't,they would be lucky to be taken in and schooled at Eton.

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 15:16:51

I'm sure that a boarding school would take good care of them and all the pupils
Would be very sympathetic.There are lots of pupils these days who's parents have split up, or are overseas ( in these schools) so they would be understanding.

trisher Sat 07-May-16 10:14:23

I think so, I did wonder if it was to do with maintaining their charitable status, which has been questioned. In any case the motive doesn't really matter. It just shows that there are places willing to take children if only the government would get out of the way.

whitewave Fri 06-May-16 21:49:30

Yes, but my grandsons school is a boarding school as well as day pupils and that is a state school. But I assume it must be in the private sector.

durhamjen Fri 06-May-16 21:44:39

Actually lots of people are doing things, especially charities. It's just that the government doesn't get the kudos from that.
Aren't most boarding schools charities?

durhamjen Fri 06-May-16 21:42:12

Can you imagine them in Eton?
I wonder if that's what Cameron imagined - he did say he wants everyone to have a better education than he did.