News & politics

The Stupidity of Charlie Hebdo

(163 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Sep-16 22:59:31

latest 'cartoon'

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Sep-16 16:53:17

Another one, grumppa, was "Fog over Channel. European continent cut off." grin

obieone Mon 05-Sep-16 17:06:39

3 interesting ideas and upsetting hundreds of people.

or no ideas and not upsetting anyone.

I know which I choose.

thatbags Mon 05-Sep-16 17:46:15

No hundreds of people getting upset unjustifiably because they don't think further than "Oh! what a horrible image!" If they stopped to rub a couple of grey cells together they'd probably realise that they needn't get upset. See arguments above about the likelihood of CH cartoonists being paychopaths and also ffinn's translation of the actual caption that went with the drawing.

Or you (anyone, all of you) could carry on having what looks like a deliberately dense attitude.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Sep-16 17:54:25

Terribly dense.

But enough brain cells to know that this cartoon and the Mafia one are two separate entities, which you seem to have missed.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Sep-16 18:01:36

the Mafia one can be seen here (scroll down a bit)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Sep-16 18:03:27

I wonder if the Mafia cartoon was produced in answer to them being criticised by the Italians for producing the earthquake one.

I think the earthquake one was simply too hard for people to interpret.

obieone Mon 05-Sep-16 18:06:59

A lot of us dont have as many brain cells as you.

So now the Italians are thick as well. And have to bury their dead. sad

That is all from me on this.

ffinnochio Mon 05-Sep-16 18:14:40

Yes, I think that's probably the case, J. There was no apology from CH, but I felt this came smartly on the heels of the previous one in order to spell out the point they were attempting to make with the first.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Sep-16 18:20:23

it's all here in English

I don't know.

Why haven't CH come out and explained the cartoon.

I'm beginning to doubt my own theory now. Don't understand it at all. I think it might have been a sick joke.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Sep-16 18:21:24

Dreadfully sick.

thatbags Mon 05-Sep-16 18:22:34

I think that's probably true too, jings, judging from the general response. What saddens me most is the willingness of people to think badly of others, in this case CH cartoonists, assuming, for instance that they had no sympathy for the earthquakes victims and that that's what they wanted to show in their cartoon. It's such a way out attitude that I find it quite scary.

thatbags Mon 05-Sep-16 18:23:11

Sorry. x'd posts. I mean true about it being too difficult ro interpret.