Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sad news about Terry Jones

(37 Posts)
granoffour Fri 23-Sep-16 15:08:23

He has been diagnosed with a severe variant of dementia. sad

Riverwalk Sun 25-Sep-16 16:39:02

granjura what is the situation in Switzerland regarding dementia patients and euthanasia - how would you give consent, for oneself?

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 16:44:14

Sadly that means that you have to give consent early- too early- at the time of diagnosis or soon after. Once you are no longer compus mentis, it is too late.

This is the last big battle for EXIT Switzerland- to find a way where you can have a living will that covers a set number of conditions you can choose to trigger EXIT. But for me, leaving too early would be much better than leaving too late - I've seen the alternative.

Riverwalk Sun 25-Sep-16 16:52:24

Yes but having given consent does that mean it's to be acted upon immediately?

Many dementia patients, especially those diagnosed early, live well for a number of years.

When would it be executed, so to speak?

grannylyn65 Sun 25-Sep-16 17:18:51

Absolutely gj

gillybob Sun 25-Sep-16 17:40:15

I loved The life of Brian too Jane10 and I loved Mrs Browns Boys . A bit rude but very funny.

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 19:03:53

And that is the problem, as said- it would have to be carried out asap- in other words too early as, as you say, dementia or Alzheimer's patients can live well for quite some time. Tragic, but as said, for me and many, much better than the alternative.

Riverwalk Sun 25-Sep-16 19:30:31

As a nurse I see a number of patients who have Parkinson's Disease, with varying levels of cognitive impairment. Some are seemingly totally with-it and still running a professional career or business, and others at various stages down the line.

Nothing is black and white - this is why I have problems with the concept of state-sanctioned euthanasia.

One chap I know, now 86, was diagnosed 10 years ago and has lived a very good life since, even with mild dementia - who knows when he will eventually 'tip' onto the other side.

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 20:29:22

How is it State Sanctionned ???

Parkinson's is a very different disease to dementia or Alzheimers, truly.

Riverwalk Mon 26-Sep-16 19:15:14

I was referring to the situation in Switzerland where euthanasia is legal, therefore state-sanctioned.

I'm well aware of the differences between Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, but PD sufferers can suffer from cognitive impairment and I was querying as to when the 'tipping' point would be.

Truly.

granjura Mon 26-Sep-16 21:32:54

Thanks. I really do not agree about it being State Sanctioned just because it is legal. The State has no part in it, and it is totally self decided and self controlled, but with support from trained volunteers- who go to great lengths to ensure it is exactly what you want and that there is no pressure from outside sources. The tipping point is where the individual put it- in a context of unberable suffering, terminal illness or loss of dignity which is unbearable.

granjura Mon 26-Sep-16 21:33:57

EUTHANASIA in Switzerland is NOT legal, AT ALL - btw- but assisted death (suicide if you want to call it) is. A MASSIVE difference.