Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lawrence Fox candidate for Mayor of London

(86 Posts)
trisher Thu 11-Mar-21 10:11:50

So LF is standing as a candidate for Mayor. Would you vote for him? He is apparently backed by a Tory donor. He plans to open up the city after the elections on 6th May and get rid of any covid restrictions.

Peasblossom Thu 11-Mar-21 10:29:56

I don’t for one minute think a city as diverse as London will vote him in. His actions become more bizarre as time goes on.

Actually I think he’s a very disturbed man who needs some professional help.

Riverwalk Thu 11-Mar-21 11:32:43

That's a no from me!

He's just attention-seeking and doesn't stand a chance.

What is it with these deniers - don't they think that politicians of all persuasions would open up our cities right this minute if it were safe to do so?

Lucca Thu 11-Mar-21 11:36:22

River walk . Exactly.

Riverwalk Thu 11-Mar-21 11:39:39

Interesting that the 'Tory donor' isn't backing the Tory candidate grin

But he's another dope.

trisher Thu 11-Mar-21 11:43:23

He apparently thinks young people want the city opened up and so will vote for him. Delusional or what?

Rosie51 Thu 11-Mar-21 12:01:37

I agree with Peasbottom. There isn't a chance he'd get elected with our diverse London population, but I also think he's mentally ill and needs help. Of course he needs to instigate that help himself, but I don't think he's likely to do so while he engenders such responses as he presently does. While he's made some dreadful statements I do feel sympathy for his obvious downward mental spiral.
trisher you call him delusional. As I'm sure you know that is a mental disorder. Is he not to be pitied rather than mocked?

trisher Thu 11-Mar-21 12:15:16

I suppose so. It's just hard to do when you know he has had such a privileged life. But I suppose that's the thing about mental health it crosses all boundaries. I remember his father having a mid life crisis and leaving acting to join an evangelical (I think) christian group.

sodapop Thu 11-Mar-21 12:33:37

It's a no from me as well, I saw this item with a picture of LF smoking. Great example.

Galaxy Thu 11-Mar-21 12:35:47

I agree I think he is quite a disturbed man.

Witzend Thu 11-Mar-21 12:37:17

Goodness, who on earth would vote for him? If mayoral candidates stand to lose their deposits, same as would-be MPs in general elections, I would happily bet that he’ll lose his.

Peasblossom Thu 11-Mar-21 12:37:31

James Fox was quite young when he became a Christian. I met him at a party in the late 6Os when he’d just converted.
Fresh out of the movies.

I seem to remember he talked a lot about his Maserati(have I spelt that right?)

Peasblossom Thu 11-Mar-21 12:37:56

Totally off the point. Sorry.

Kandinsky Thu 11-Mar-21 13:30:15

He couldn’t be any worse than Sadiq Khan.

Iam64 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:56:46

Kandinsky

That wins today’s daftest commen

Riverwalk Thu 11-Mar-21 14:11:50

Kandinsky

Rather a hollow claim Kandinsky.

Sadiq Khan, and Shaun Bailey for that matter, would be answerable to their respective parties and have to account for their actions.

Do you really think that Fox is in any way interested in traffic management, new sewers, attracting business, housing, homelessness, crime statistics, etc?

suziewoozie Thu 11-Mar-21 14:15:20

Hummm let’s ask Piers Morgan if he thinks LF is mentally ill - isn’t he the nation’s favourite psychiatrist?

Rosie51 Thu 11-Mar-21 14:18:21

Are you suggesting Fox doesn't suffer from a mental illness suziewoozie?

ayse Thu 11-Mar-21 14:18:22

suziewoozie

Hummm let’s ask Piers Morgan if he thinks LF is mentally ill - isn’t he the nation’s favourite psychiatrist?

?

varian Thu 11-Mar-21 14:20:54

London-born Luisa Porritt, 33, a former MEP who became leader of her party’s group on Camden Council last month, is the LibDem candidate for London Mayor.

She said, “The pandemic will change our city forever. We need big ideas and urgent action to rise to the challenge” and that a “liberal London” would be one in which “the 600 neighbourhoods that make up our capital lead the way”. She pledged to put “homes in the heart of the city”, to “reinvent high streets for the future” and to “renew every area in London to become thriving, green and affordable places to live and work”.

Policy development is likely to draw on recent debates about a more economically decentralised and locally-focussed London emerging as a result of Covid-19. Porritt’s campaign website includes pledges to seek powers to convert Central London offices into affordable homes, scrap the Silvertown Tunnel project and encourage more neighbourhood co-working spaces for a future of more flexible employment practices.

www.luisa4london.co.uk/

suziewoozie Thu 11-Mar-21 14:24:24

Rosie51

Are you suggesting Fox doesn't suffer from a mental illness suziewoozie?

I’m just demonstrating the hypocrisy surrounding MH in our society over the last few says

Rosie51 Thu 11-Mar-21 14:30:39

Good grief I thought we were advancing from ideas such the deserving poor versus the underserving poor. Is it now the deserving mentally ill versus the undeserving mentally ill? Using LF's mental illness as a stick to beat "society" with is below the belt in my opinion.

Gwyneth Thu 11-Mar-21 14:35:27

Anyone who disagrees with the ‘woke brigade’ seems to be labelled mentally ill. Unfortunate if you really do suffer with mental health problems.

suziewoozie Thu 11-Mar-21 14:40:45

Rosie51

Good grief I thought we were advancing from ideas such the deserving poor versus the underserving poor. Is it now the deserving mentally ill versus the undeserving mentally ill? Using LF's mental illness as a stick to beat "society" with is below the belt in my opinion.

LF does a lot of damage, stirs up hatred and division. He’s toxic and has been for a long time. He doesn’t get a ‘get out of jail card free’ because he ‘may’ have MH problems. Have you read any of his ‘contributions ‘ to the national debate? And anyway, who said he has MH problems? I’ve never read that before I just thought his behaviour was typical of a certain sort of not very bright man full of his own importance and entitlement

Rosie51 Thu 11-Mar-21 14:59:09

I'm not saying LF hasn't demonstrated some absolutely abhorrent attitudes, and would not give him a 'get out of jail free card'. However if your compassion for anyone depends on them being likeable or acceptable to you, then it's not going to be spread too far. I, along with others it would seem, observe his deteriorating behaviour and strongly suspect he has a mental health illness. I agree LF displays a very entitled attitude, not alone in that though is he?