Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May stepping down as MP at the next GE.

(27 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 08-Mar-24 09:58:37

Don’t blame her. “Strong and stable”. Just not able really (I’m thinking Brexit of course - those pot plants when she was left in a room on her own during negotiations). Will her constituents miss her? Any on here in her Maidenhead constituency?

She lives in Sonning (in her constituency) with her husband Sir Phillip. She’s 67 and I for one wish her a long and happy retirement.

nanna8 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:01:05

I liked her, a lot better and more reliable and trustworthy than those coming after her. Very British in a nice way.

Casdon Fri 08-Mar-24 10:07:53

I don’t agree with her politics but she is an honourable person and always did what she thought was right for the country, rather than for personal gain, I’m sorry she’s going.

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-24 10:09:26

An woman of honour

henetha Fri 08-Mar-24 10:09:57

She's one of the few tory politicians that I thought was honourable and honest.
She deserves a happy retirement.

Cossy Fri 08-Mar-24 10:10:53

I too wish her a happy retirement.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:11:38

So many people have said she hasn't got a sense of humour, but she made Johnson her foreign secretary.

I actually like the woman, but not her politics and look forward to hearing some views from Maidenhead constituents. At least she appears to be honest.

I was genuinely sad for her when she was pictured on her own and looking lonely at a European meeting to the delight of the press. Bad management by her staff.

Pantglas2 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:14:16

Honour? Surely not - she admitted running through a farmer’s wheat fields as a teenager 😱. (Joke! )

I had a lot of time for her and she understood about the Just About Managing folks which is more than can be said for leaders that followed.

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-24 10:15:10

She probably got fed up with having to wade through the ordure that has engulfed the party and the appalling mediocrity and dishonesty of most members of the current cabinet.

I wish her a happy retirement.

OldFrill Fri 08-Mar-24 10:19:08

She did what was right for her party, not the country. She made Boris foreign secretary - Boris knighted her husband. Thick as thieves.

halfpint1 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:27:45

I hope she re-appears in some other national/european/international form of politics/organisation. She has a lot of experience and common sense to offer.

DiamondLily Fri 08-Mar-24 10:39:00

I liked her - she seemed like a decent person. Unlike those that followed.

Callistemon21 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:40:31

Rather sad, as common sense and principles seem to be missing in the House of Commons.

I wish her a long and happy retirement if that's what she decides to do.

foxie48 Fri 08-Mar-24 10:56:22

I also liked her, I didn't always like her politics but I still wish she had managed to get her soft Brexit through. She had a pretty impossible job.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Mar-24 12:03:28

She’s made some pretty amazing speeches in parliament over the past few years. She had a torrid time as PM with Johnson thwarting everything she tried to do. Having said that, much as I’ve found myself respecting her more recently it’s only because she’s one of the few remaining old school Conservatives ( eg Ken Clark, Dominic Grieve) withConservative values and I do tend to forget that she had been an awful Home Secretary presiding over the reduction of police numbers amongst other things.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Mar-24 12:04:35

….and history will treat her far more kindly than those who followed her…

vegansrock Fri 08-Mar-24 12:17:01

She was the least worse of the last 5 PMs, but the bar is pretty low. She was an awful Home Sec- cutting police, Windrush, not visiting Grenfell etc

Greta Fri 08-Mar-24 12:58:19

She was also the architect behind the "hostile environment" dished out to foreign workers. Many of those 'undesirables' were of course busy supporting our NHS and other important institutions. Shameful.

Spinnaker Fri 08-Mar-24 15:06:37

She was to the Police what Thatcher was to the miners - dreadful.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Mar-24 15:24:27

Spinnaker

Precisely.But people have short memories don’t they sad

Spinnaker Fri 08-Mar-24 15:59:44

MayBee70

Spinnaker

Precisely.But people have short memories don’t they sad

Absolutely MayBee70 angry

mabon1 Fri 08-Mar-24 16:02:10

I would never vote for any Tory, however, I am full of admiration for Teresa May, she seems to be one of the few honourable members of Parliament.

Allsorts Fri 08-Mar-24 16:12:07

I liked her, she is a woman of integrity, something in short supply with so many politicians, I wish her well and feel sure she will continue to work for her community as she has always done.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:47:12

Her time at the Home Office is hardly filled with honour.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Mar-24 17:56:03

Agreed Whitewave but I was trying to be nice by glossing over her time as Home Secretary!