Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unfair play ⚽️ 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 👕

(95 Posts)
Joseann Fri 22-Mar-24 10:22:45

Is it really "playful" to change the national flag on the England kit? Or just someone trying to be clever?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Mar-24 10:24:50

I doubt if Nike would appreciate their Woosh being altered in anyway…

Joseann Fri 22-Mar-24 10:29:19

👍
I doubt if Prince William is very pleased either!

maddyone Fri 22-Mar-24 10:40:51

I think they should have stuck to the proper England flag. My grandson is going to be very disappointed and puzzled when I sent him the kit as he’s in New Zealand. He’s ten years old and doesn’t read news or at his age, understand woke. I’m not sure that at his CofE school in NZ he will have heard of trans or woke.

Aveline Fri 22-Mar-24 11:21:12

Gosh yes. How annoying. Just daft.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:22:21

maddyone

I think they should have stuck to the proper England flag. My grandson is going to be very disappointed and puzzled when I sent him the kit as he’s in New Zealand. He’s ten years old and doesn’t read news or at his age, understand woke. I’m not sure that at his CofE school in NZ he will have heard of trans or woke.

I wouldn't have recognised it as anything except a pretty-coloured cross of some kind.

It says neither England nor LGBTQ etc to me.
Meaningless.

I certainly wouldn't be buying it as an England kit.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:27:05

From the Culture Secretary to Keir Starmer, voices of condemnation.

Will they do the same to the flags of other countries as well?

Cossy Fri 22-Mar-24 11:27:59

Tbh I have no strong feeling about this kit, or any of our premier league kits either, other than feeling so many parents are under pressure to buy their kids very expensive kits each year!

Glorianny Fri 22-Mar-24 11:31:11

I do wonder (and I know there will be a huge outcry form the section that will believe this) if the negative connotations ofthe red cross on white background for

Glorianny Fri 22-Mar-24 11:33:05

That posted without my help!
Muslim people is behind the change. Maybe they think it will sell better in those countries. Football is huge and the international market is the aim.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:35:44

Why would people in "Muslim countries" want to buy an England kit? 🤔
They would support their own football teams surely?

If someone doesn't like the national flag of England why would they support the team or buy the flag?

Glorianny Fri 22-Mar-24 11:39:43

Callistemon21

If someone doesn't like the national flag of England why would they support the team or buy the flag?

Some people support Man U some people support Newcastle. They don't all come from those cities. Football kit is a bit different to a flag. Lots of kids in the UK wear Portuguese kit because of Rinaldo

bmacca Fri 22-Mar-24 11:42:09

I’m not really bothered by the colour of the cross but the price of the shirt does make me very annoyed. It’s ridiculously expensive for a mediocre quality shirt

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:42:28

They might support Man United, Liverpool etc and footballers from many countries play in our Football League teams.

But when it comes to national teams, football fans will support their own national teams!

You're introducing an irrelevance.

Sago Fri 22-Mar-24 11:48:36

It is typical of the state of our country.
We cannot be proud to be British/English anymore.
It’s a dumbing down to appease the minority.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:52:08

Glorianny

Callistemon21

Some people support Man U some people support Newcastle. They don't all come from those cities. Football kit is a bit different to a flag. Lots of kids in the UK wear Portuguese kit because of Rinaldo

So - have they changed the Portuguese flag?
Spanish flag?
French flag?
Belgian flag?

Big empires, all of them.

Tell your DGS to hang on to that shirt, maddyone, it could become a rarity and a collector's item!

Galaxy Fri 22-Mar-24 12:08:45

We need to be really clear that companies such as Nike do not care less about LGBT issues, not one jot. We should stop indulging the pretence that they do. Then maybe all this would stop.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Mar-24 12:16:08

I think it’s time that the general public of England reclaim our national flag, it belongs to all of us 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Glorianny you posted

Muslim people is behind the change. Maybe they think it will sell better in those countries

How ridiculous, there are many English Muslims, why on earth should our flag be changed to suit others?

Urmstongran Fri 22-Mar-24 12:18:25

GrannyGravy13

I doubt if Nike would appreciate their Woosh being altered in anyway…

This! 👏👏 well said GG13 😁

Urmstongran Fri 22-Mar-24 12:21:04

Sunak has come out against it. And Gareth Southgate. And Harry Kane. And me.
😁

Glorianny Fri 22-Mar-24 12:45:33

If people don't understand the significance of the red cross and its history in the Middle East then I can only suggest they read up about it.
Of course not all Muslims have an aversion to the Red cross but some do. And Nike will be well aware of the markets they are appealing to.
Why is it irrelevant to say some children wear Portuguese strips because of Rinaldo? obviously some children will wear English strips if they have a favourite footballer regardless of nationality.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Mar-24 12:48:47

Changing the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 does not and will not alter history.

Jaberwok Fri 22-Mar-24 13:07:09

I'd love to hear what the Scots would say if the Saltire were to be tampered with in this way. Also the French with the Tricolore?! Eeek!

OldFrill Fri 22-Mar-24 13:24:12

I suspect they did it promote their brand - certainly has got attention.
This is why they said they've done it (BBC)

The US firm said the colours were inspired by the training kit worn by England's 1966 World Cup winners.

OldFrill Fri 22-Mar-24 13:25:17

maddyone

You can buy a version with the real flag on, it's considerably more expensive.