Gransnet forums

Relationships

advice please re abusive relationship / housing

(45 Posts)
jelliott Sun 26-Jun-16 21:26:50

hi everyone - this is my first ever post online so i hope i have got it right. In a nutshell i have been in an emotionally and occasionally abusive relationship for 20 years and i desperately need to get out as it is getting worse than ever. I have a daughter and grandchildren who are moving to edinburgh soon and they want me to go up there and escape the situation but they cannot afford to buy a big enough house for me as well and i have a dog which no way am i leaving behind. So - what are my housing options if a) i do go and stay with her and sleep on the couch which isn't reallt feasable with 3 under 6's and i am disabled with fibrmyalgia and arthritis at the grand old age of 56. or b) if i was to rent a static caravan would i be able to be housed? And how do i get housing that is suitable for a dog too as he helps me when i drop things and fetches the phone etc but he isn't a trained listed assistance dog. I am not a scrounger, having been a nurse for 20 years, i amd just in a position now where i need some help and I know nothing about the workings of the housing system. My partner ensured that no bills / utilites etc had my name so no credit means no credit rating so no loan to pay a rent deposit Our house is his that he inherited so i have no legal standing there. Looking forward to your replies.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 10-Dec-16 10:32:11

That is amazing news jelliot, amazing!

Please tread carefully as women are most vulnerable when they leave a toxic relationship. Women's aid are very good and can offer some great advice.

Stay safe jelliot and good luck smile

cornergran Sat 10-Dec-16 10:38:41

New beginning, jelliot. Take care and good luck.

fiorentina51 Sat 10-Dec-16 11:02:47

Good Luck. Enjoy your new life! ??

Flossieturner Sat 10-Dec-16 11:39:40

I would not dismiss the possibility of getting maintenance or a share of your house without taking legal advice. Good luck I. Your new life.

ginny Sat 10-Dec-16 12:30:02

Good luck Jelliot. Enjoy the rest of your life.

seacliff Sat 10-Dec-16 12:52:18

Well done Jelliot, for having the courage to see it through. Starting a new life will be exciting! Best of luck.

Christinefrance Sat 10-Dec-16 13:01:41

Well done jelliott you have bravely done the right thing, your daughter sounds amazing too.
Enjoy your new life and time with your family.

Anya Sat 10-Dec-16 13:28:33

I thought you were off in July jelliot and am concerned you are still in this relationship. But this sounds positive and you now have somewhere to go, with dog I hope.

Go, go, go and good luck.

Let us know how things are.

mumofmadboys Sat 10-Dec-16 18:30:53

Wishing you all the best and peace.

Coolgran65 Sat 10-Dec-16 20:06:31

Please go to a solicitor when you get to Edinburgh. You have entitlements. Don't forego them as they may make your life much easier.

Well done, and good luck.

grannypiper Sun 11-Dec-16 10:09:45

Jelliot Fantastic news, you are doing the right thing and WELCOME to Scotland. 2017 will be the best yet.brew cupcake

Hilltopgran Sun 11-Dec-16 10:45:11

I wish you a safe journey, and good luck for your new life. A great way to start a new year.

silverlining48 Sun 11-Dec-16 12:46:39

Well done. I am sure you won't regret this. You have loving family who have helped, you will be fine. Good luck and all good wishes.

cheerfullizzy Sun 11-Dec-16 18:06:06

lumpy spaced princess...You are absolutely spot on in your kind comment..I so agree with you...

SloeGinny Mon 12-Dec-16 21:54:41

Good luck jelliott

I hope you can take some advice and inspiration from this thread Cheerfullizzie and take steps to make a new life for yourself flowers

Synonymous Mon 12-Dec-16 22:46:55

jelliott I am certainly wishing you well and praying that all goes well and you leave in safety this Thursday.
I hope you have got legal help to claim whatever you can to ensure that your future is as financially secure as possible. You have legal rights whether the marital home has your name on the deeds or not so don't legitimise your OH's treatment of you by going without what is yours by right.
Do let us know how things go as I, at least, will be on tenterhooks until I know you are safe. ((hugs)) flowers

Synonymous Mon 12-Dec-16 22:52:04

cheerfullizzy I hope you, too, have found a way forward for yourself. There is much good advice on this thread for your own situation. Do let us know how you are getting on. smile

FarNorth Wed 14-Dec-16 11:42:09

I've just seen this thread and want to give you and your daughter congratulations on getting this far, and encouragement that things are about to get a lot better for you.
Definitely wishing you luck and strength!

BlueBelle Wed 14-Dec-16 12:32:04

Wishing you strength and a positive new life I will never forget the peace when I shut my own front door for the first time it was a grotty flat and the three kids were in one double bed with me at the other end but it was magnificent