Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Archers Addict

(1000 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

cmcpne Sat 21-May-11 20:30:57

Well I am an addict and proud of it! Love it all even the boring bits and now love Ambridge Extra.......I believe I am not alone either????

shysal Sun 22-May-11 20:34:03

I don't watch any TV soaps but always listen to The Archers. I record it on my digital box, so catch it at my leisure. I also enjoy Ambridge extra, and am waiting for the stories to merge eventually, especially the Alice and Christopher one.
I am not fond of whining Cathy, she has irritated me right from the start, never thought she and Kenton were compatible.
Did you know you can receive a daily synopsis by e-mail? The trouble is I can't resist reading it sometimes before listening which spoils the surprise.
I look forward to seeing other listeners' likes and dislikes.

glassortwo Sun 22-May-11 21:21:18

I have never listened to the Archers, am I missing something.

trixie Mon 23-May-11 21:05:16

i've been listening to The Archers for over 30 years now and I nominate Kate Aldridge as the most irritating character. Maybe she has a different name after marrying a South African. It was hilariously PC when she did that, as not a single member of the village mentioned he was black/from another culture, etc. In the rural area I live in, there would have been comments if he came from another county, let alone country!

Killing Nigel off was a shabby publicity stunt and I'm now waiting for Elizabeth to disembowel David following his revelation last week. By the way, isn't it time Ruth lost some of that Geordie accent after about 25 years of living in Ambridge? But, no, it's still 'Dee-vid'.

shysal Wed 25-May-11 13:15:40

Isn' it about time we heard the voices of the characters who never speak? Freda Fry has never uttered a word although she has worked hard in the Bull for years. I should also like to hear some of the new names like Sabrina Thwaite, who sounds an interesting character!

cmcpne Thu 26-May-11 13:12:11

I too can't wait for the storylines from Ambridge Extra to merge with the original and do wonder how it will be done....but imagine it will be very cleverly done.
The smug Pippa drives me to distraction but still like the storylines to include her...perverse or what ha ha
I record it too shysal so that I never miss it and get updates to my mobile which I don't read in case it's a plot spoiler..so why do I get the updates???
I listened to a programme about the recording process but only listened to a bit because it was taking the magic away..but just so you all know what I know....they record the children separately to the rest of the show..sorry if that spoils it for you too but only fair really...

Annobel Tue 07-Jun-11 08:11:58

I mentioned this on the soaps thread. I have broken my addiction to the Archers, but still catch up on line occasionally. I agree, it was just plain wrong to kill off Nigel. Why not maim him? Nigel directing operations from a wheelchair and magnanimously forgiving David (yes, Elizabeth, he would have) could have generated some great plot lines.

shysal Fri 17-Jun-11 16:26:42

Following the popularity of Ambridge Extra with young people, Radio 1 is doing a spoof called The Farchers. It starts on Monday June 20th at 1.15 pm. Knowing Radio 1 , which I listen to every day, it will either be very funny or just plain stupid! We shall see.hmm

Gally Fri 17-Jun-11 17:19:13

I have listened to the Archers since I was very young, originally with my Mum, but have had lots of gaps - boarding school, living abroad, studying etc. but I always manage to catch up however long the interruption. I can see all the characters in my head and wouldn't have it any other way. Apart from the unconvincing Lilian and the dreadful Kate I really can't stand Jazzer; pity it wasn't he who fell off the roof! My children think I am really, really sad sad when I call for silence at 7 o'clock!

JessM Fri 17-Jun-11 18:06:52

Oh I quite fancy Jazzer now he has recovered from the K overdose. Did you ever hear him sing - WOW!
What bugs me about the archers is the number of REALLY IRRITATING women:
Cathy - need i say more
Elizabeth - she's back in character as indignant brat of Jill's family
Mike's second wife - the one who doesn't like calves going to slaughter
Linda - caricature pain
Shula - pompous about the vicar etc
Joleen - because of the fake country accent
Kate - of course, is a total brat (I too found the failure to mention that the boyfriend was black v entertaining. Same applied to the vicar's daughter)
Helen - sanctimonius
Peggy used to be grusome but has become more sympathetic in her 80s. Going for some kind of soap record methinks
Compared to that lot Lillian and Jennifer are almost sympathetic and loveable.
and Fallon - poor Jazzer! Give him a break!
Several of these are obviously deliberately written to irritate.
There aren't really any irritating men in the same way. A few rogues is all really. So i am in a bit of a feminist huff with it these days and only listen occasionally.
Or is it me being sexist and only getting irritated with the females? Please be brutally honest with me.

Gally Fri 17-Jun-11 20:13:21

YES! grin What about The dismal David - not just because of the Nigel saga - he's so morose.
I shall start a Get-Rid-of-Jazzer campaign. Maybe he'll go back to Poland (or wherever she comes from) with Zofia?

JessM Fri 17-Jun-11 20:28:15

Apart from Ruaurururrrrri, Jazzer is the only Celt. Or was I forgetting the saintly Ian? But there are no good gay plot lines at the moment are there.
Archers for the English?
Maybe all the non English could gather in the alternative universe on the other channel. That nice Polish care worker in The Laurels. Kate's S African and very long suffering chap etc.
Hey Ruaurrrriii's mother was pretty annoying too wasn't she. Also Matt's business associate whotsername.

Ganja Tue 27-Sep-11 09:16:13

I am being driven mad waiting for the penny to drop that Clarrie is the perfect person to give Peggy a few hours help a week. Such ponderous plot development.

susiecb Tue 27-Sep-11 13:00:50

DH listens every Sunday morning while he does the ironing - you have to love him!

GoldenGran Tue 27-Sep-11 19:12:14

Ganja I absolutely agree, they are making it excrutiatingly slow. Do you have any pity for Tony, who is the most irritating whiner in the show, he should have gone instead of Nigel! Andsusiecb I also listen every Sunday, although I shout at the radio a lot whilst doing it.smile

numberplease Tue 27-Sep-11 21:17:43

I must admit to never being an Archers fan, but can remember my aunt and uncle listening to it religiously every evening, and can still remember the voice of a character called, I think, Walter Gabriel? I do quite like the signature tune though.

Jacey Tue 27-Sep-11 22:25:04

No! No! No!

I'm a Radio 4 girl ...I switch it off as soon as I hear the signature tune! I mean how many times does it have to be repeated!!
Yes ...fine for those of you who like it ...but does it really need to be on every afternoon, evening and repeated for the second time on a Sunday morning???

Overload smile

eGJ Wed 28-Sep-11 16:51:43

My GD's soft elephant is called Nigel; she does keep hurling him out of her cot................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Did you know Jazzer is played by a totally blind actor (not relevant really as the character he plays is annoying!)

Perhaps Alice will stray on the new Ambridge Extra; haven't time to listen, so perhaps keen Gransnettter can update us as the website doesn't do Ambridge Extra synposes!!

GoldenGran Wed 28-Sep-11 17:10:12

Sorry eCG don't do Ambridge extra, find the young ones in the Archers fairly annoying, so have decided not to follow their exploits on that!

Ganja Thu 29-Sep-11 08:58:21

Number please Who could forget Walter Gabriels voice? My mother loathed it, which is why, of course, I am a lifelong fan!

numberplease Thu 29-Sep-11 16:53:58

Ganja, like I say, I didn`t like the programme, but when my aunt and uncle were listening, I used to wonder what Walter Gabriel looked like. I never did find out!

Ganja Fri 30-Sep-11 08:29:21

Golden Gran Tony is so drear isn't he? I did wonder if the BBC was seriously going to let Bridge Farm go bankrupt, but decided that if they did it would take so long that I would have totally lost interest.

Annobel Fri 30-Sep-11 08:49:56

With hindsight, I think much of the life of the show went with the death of Walter Gabriel and then also of Nelson, his son. Well, that's shown my vintage!

Ganja Tue 04-Oct-11 07:59:28

Do we think Ilona's husband is going to be a goodie or a baddie?

shysal Tue 04-Oct-11 19:22:58

Hope he is a baddie, it will make more entertaining listening. Perhaps he will con Peggy out of all her money
. Ambridge extra started again this week, have recorded but not heard it yet.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion