Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's your favourite film?

(148 Posts)
Trishabellywelly Sun 10-Jun-12 07:32:15

It would be interesting to have a top ten of favourite films.�� i have two - Shirley Valentine and Shawshanks Redemption.

kittylester Sun 10-Jun-12 07:43:00

West Side Story every time! Our wonderful dance teacher made us watch it for homework FOUR weeks running. It didn't help my dancing but I loved it and Tony.

Libradi Sun 10-Jun-12 08:38:51

Got to be Dirty Dancing for me.

PRINTMISS Sun 10-Jun-12 08:43:27

Brief Encouter, o.k. so it's an oldie, and I first saw it when I was quite young, but have loved it ever since.

whenim64 Sun 10-Jun-12 08:44:10

Sngin' in the Rain without a doubt.

AlieOxon Sun 10-Jun-12 08:45:31

An old one - though there are others - 'The History of Mr Polly'...?

absentgrana Sun 10-Jun-12 09:28:49

Tricky as there are so many different kinds of films. Yes, I love Shirley Valentine, but also Life is Beautiful – obviously for different reasons as you cannot compare the two. The Bicycle Thieves or To Have and To Have Not, Little Big Man or Love Actually? I know I couldn't possibly get my list of favourite films down to ten so I would guess getting a consensus of several thousand Gransnetters would be an impossible task. Fun and intriguing nevertheless.

susiecb Sun 10-Jun-12 09:49:08

Out of Africa - wonderful cinematography and a great story.

Jacey Sun 10-Jun-12 09:56:32

Lord of the Rings ...great story, wonderful scenery and some super special affects.

Barrow Sun 10-Jun-12 10:33:56

So many to choose from but I think Usual Suspects (or just about anything with Kevin Spacey) and Guys and Dolls (the young Marlon Brando wink.

Joan Sun 10-Jun-12 10:34:33

Shirley Valentine
Brassed Off
Educating Rita
V for Vendetta
Long goodnight kiss
Shawshank redemption
Star Trek (the latest one)
and lots of others I can't bring to mind right now.

vampirequeen Sun 10-Jun-12 10:35:10

Definately Top Gun for me. No matter how often I see it I still sob buckets when Goose dies lol.

crimson Sun 10-Jun-12 11:30:18

I've never actually seen Usual Suspects, even though it came [I think] second in a 100 best films programme. Shawshank Redemption came first [I'd never heard of that, either, but have since seen it, and it was a worthy winner]. LOTR has to be at the top, although I preferred the first film to the other two.For once, a book adaptation that couldn't have been done any better, although I've been advised to watch 'the directors cut' version, which is even better. Edward Scissorhands comes near the top of the list. From a 'can watch over and over again' point of view 'Last of the Mohicans' [the music is superb]. Pans Labyrinth is the film that I would love to see for the first time without remembering any of it, although, as I get older I'll probably be able to do that smile. From my childhood, the original Jungle Book, with Sabu; I've never got on with later versions.

Annika Sun 10-Jun-12 11:32:58

The Italian Job.
The Great Escape. well anything with Steve McQueen will do
Men in Black. well anything with Will Smith in, must get a grip or I will come across as some sort of hussy !!!wink

absentgrana Sun 10-Jun-12 11:34:52

I thought Lord of the Rings was frightful with each one being worse than the one before.

dorsetpennt Sun 10-Jun-12 11:37:23

Godfather 1 and 2, Gone With the Wind, Goodfellas, Dr.Zhivago,Gigi,Howards End,Now Voyager,Jezabel.Passage to India ,Room with a View,This Happy Breed and on and on. My two grown up children and I are real movie buffs, in fact my parents and g'parents were too. I can remember going to the flicks from a very early age.So really difficult to have one favourite film - the above are just a few on a very long list. flag wanted to do that whilst its still on your list.

SJP Sun 10-Jun-12 11:40:25

Brief Encounter, Sound of Music, Some time next year, Witness, This Happy Breed, Chicago, Gone with the Wind, Bridge of Madison County

Elegran Sun 10-Jun-12 11:42:02

absent I would second that.

According to Tolkien’s son Christopher, when Tolkien was recounting his latest bulletin from Middle Earth at a meeting of the Inklings in an Oxford pub, the English don Hugo Dyson met this by “lying on the couch, and lolling and shouting and saying, ‘Oh God, no more Elves ’ ”

I know how he felt.

Jacey Sun 10-Jun-12 12:37:48

Ouch! sad

Grannybug Sun 10-Jun-12 12:39:29

Any film with James Stewart in it

crimson Sun 10-Jun-12 13:16:21

How the West was Won. Can watch that over and over again [even though James Stewart was a tad too old for the part he played]. Lovely man.

Ella46 Sun 10-Jun-12 13:18:04

Does anyone remember Letter from an Unknown Woman, with Louis Jordan? I cried and cried watching it.

Love too many to list but I can watch over and over...Love Actually, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, XMen and Roadhouse. blush

feetlebaum Sun 10-Jun-12 13:24:22

@kittyleicester: West Side Story is the greatest musical ever - but the film was disappointing to me... Tony and Maria were a bit wet - and why did they have to fool around with the staging - like bringing the boys into America, which is a girls only number?

Oh well - it was still pretty good!

feetlebaum Sun 10-Jun-12 13:30:20

Favourite films? The list would change every day, but here goes:
(in no particular order of merit)

Odd Man Out

Young Frankenstein

Brief Encounter

Casablanca

I'm All Right, Jack!

Jour de Fete

Citizen Kane

Singin' in the Rain

The General

The Maltese Falcon

absentgrana Sun 10-Jun-12 13:32:58

Elegran I love that story about Tolkein and the Inklings, but when I heard it, it was C. S. Lewis who said, "Oh no, not more f***ing elves". Perhaps that's because C. S. Lewis is better known than Hugo Dyson