Gransnet forums

AIBU

left with an elderly aunt I don't know

(33 Posts)
nanarosie Wed 05-Oct-11 22:56:29

my uncle has passed away and although I had not had any contact with them for over 30 years suddenly had a phone call when he went into hospital from aunt left disabled by a stroke some while ago. They have no family, no friends so I took aunto to and fro to hospaital and arranged funeral and all the othe stuff that needs doing. Now I have an aunt 0f 84 who cries all the time, won't accept any help other than mine, smokes heavily and she and the flat stink and so do I when I go there. Have just lost father in law and mil needs me,, still work, and have 5 grandchildren who I am just not seeing enough off. How on earth can I leave my aunt who sadly is nearly as nasty as my mother was and get some life back without feeling so bad about it all - help please

nanarosie Sun 30-Oct-11 20:28:06

Didn't really want to bring this up to the top again but just wanted to say thank to eveyone for their advice and to say my aunt is tomorrow going to a very nice nursing home a few miles down the road from us and she will stay there as there is no prospect of her being able to live in her flat again. I am sure the care there is good as have had good reports from people I know - feel I have done the best I can for her. Reading different posts on these forums has made me realise how very lucky I am and my heart goes out to all of you who have sick partners or family members or those who can't see gc for whatever reason - I hope these lovely ladies give you as much of a lift as they have given me and am looking forward to being a regular "pest" I mean poster on the boards many thanks and enormous hugs to all grans everywhere

Ariadne Sun 30-Oct-11 20:47:25

So glad it's sorted out, and that your burden is lightened. You've definitely done the best for her and you. smile x

HildaW Sun 30-Oct-11 21:22:56

Nanarosie, so glad that you have managed to sort this difficult situation out, its so nice when someone has some good news to share.

nanachrissy Mon 31-Oct-11 10:42:02

Nanarosie you must be so relieved to have this situation resolved. As we get older life seems to be getting more and more stressful instead of the gentle retirement we were hoping for. I don't want my children to have this worry as well as all the other problems they are going to inherit! I want to die in my sleep before it gets messy! grin

grannyactivist Mon 31-Oct-11 10:47:28

I'm glad that this situation has been resolved so well nanarosie, it must be a great relief to you. smile

FlicketyB Tue 01-Nov-11 07:19:07

After all the problems are finally sorted, make sure that you get your family to treat you, a day of pampering or a weekend away. As they say, you deserve it.

NannaJeannie Tue 01-Nov-11 16:24:52

Glad that this is resloved now, and it shows that Gransnet is a good place for us 'oldies' to share. We are also called 'the sandwich generation' aren't we? with 'very oldies', GC and DDs and DSs to look to. Hey Ho.