Gransnet forums

AIBU

to feel ignored?

(84 Posts)
gracesmum Sun 03-Jun-12 12:08:35

(No, I am not setting out to rival ian42 but making a point on a thread which nobody responds to, then somebody else says something similar and everybody goes "Good point, whoever" - like a voice in the wilderness, I sometimes wonder what is the point of commenting.sad

Greatnan Mon 04-Jun-12 09:21:21

I was replying specifically to Faye to reassure her as she seemed to think her views would be unacceptable and of course all views are welcomed here.
Gracesmum - I did not intend to imply that you were brooding, only that I didn't. I can feel those egg shells crunching! smile

gracesmum Mon 04-Jun-12 09:33:39

smilesmilesmile

Bags Mon 04-Jun-12 09:34:16

My dear father was quite very eccentric but much loved and respected everywhere he went. He was also influential in his field. His motto was "never be afraid to be different." It has served me and my daughters well. I often feel like an odd one out but I've never been short of good friends for all that smile Most people are good and even if they find one odd, it usually doesn't matter. At least, that is my experience.

One of my friends swears by this: Be yourself. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 09:34:22

Jess and Greatnan I can really identify with what you say - we do have to be a little tough about not getting enthusiastic responses to our 'witty' postings, because when you post quite a lot of comments, they aren't all bound to get a response. Regulars will probably be used to seeing their postings superceded by subsequent posts that were being written at the same time.

gracesmum you have voiced views shared by others and as a regular poster on here, I feel I have learned quite a bit about you now, as I imagine others have too, and you are often able to say what others might be thinking but not sure whether to express it on here. On a few occasions, I have said something, only to have it repeated further down the line and the poster receives positive comments. I'm not going to jump in and say 'but I said that 3 days ago' because I know we don't all read threads back to the beginning. I guess the same happens for you, but I haven't had the presence of mind to raise the issue as you have. I hope you know now that next time it happens you aren't being ignored, but also you could say 'oy!! did you notice what I said?' and we'll know we've done it again and answer your post. smile flowers

Bags Mon 04-Jun-12 09:36:45

Exactly, when! And one can always just bump a thread.

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 09:36:56

...... just you watch - this will get ignored now! grin

Sewsilver Mon 04-Jun-12 09:37:18

Glass I do find it enormously helpful to be on a regular weekly thread, Weigh in. There I feel well supported by you and other GNetters. It makes a big difference when life is tough to feel seen and heard. Am now trying to pluck up courage to post on Meeting Up. Recognise that when I feel sensitive it is my issue, not anyone else who has made me feel that way. Generally I find GN to be stimulating, supportive and at times challenging. Great!!!

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 09:37:50

See!! Bags got in there before me and undermined my witty comment! grin

greenmossgiel Mon 04-Jun-12 09:46:40

Sewsilver, I'm one of the least 'brave' people anyone could expect to meet - (you see, I didn't even say 'wish to meet', because I often think, 'who on earth would wish to meet me'). I would love to meet you, though. I hope to meet many more GN's because we're such a diverse bunch and, in that, we all have our own very interesting things to say and ways of feeling about things.
So very often, I read a post and think, 'I'll post a comment about that', then see that someone has posted something that I think is much more 'knowledgeable', so I hang back! Then it's often too late! On the whole, though, I don't feel ignored, because I think threads can move at such a rate, and I don't think any one of us would mean to ignore each other.
The other day when Gally, Glass and I met up, we never stopped talking! We could've spoken into the rest of the day and night, and still had lots to say, but we only had a few hours to do it in!
I wish it were possible to keep up with everything everyone is saying, but there are so many comments about so many different things that I just can't manage it! I do feel concerned sometimes, if I haven't 'cottoned-on' to something that someone has spoken about, regarding being worried about something or feeling not well, because it looks as if I've not cared enough to comment. That really is never the case. I've just missed it. So, gracesmum, I think the majority of us know where you're coming from when you made your original comment. As my old teacher used to write on many of my school reports....'Anne must try harder!' flowerssmile

Greatnan Mon 04-Jun-12 09:52:04

Has anyone else made a real effort to change their personality? I know I am loud and sometimes tactless (I have improved a bit with age) and whenever I join a new group I intend to keep a low profile. It never lasts.

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 09:52:34

green you show just how much we all have in common, as well as being unique and having our own opinions about everything smile

JessM Mon 04-Jun-12 10:03:32

You don't say "greatnan" . [gin] I mean grin what a difference a consonant can make...

Ella46 Mon 04-Jun-12 10:04:16

Yes, Greatnan I've tried to tone myself down. I'm either full of beans, noisy,quick witted (I think!) and life and soul of the party, OR I suddenly feel totally stupid, who would want to know me so SHUT UP!
Then I keep quiet and lurk.
I try to be calm and sensible but the real me always comes out! grin I call her Dolores and my other side is Hilda!

I've often posted quite succinctly only to be ignored and then someone else has said the same thing and been applauded. Now I realise it happens to us all, I feel much better grin

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 10:04:45

Greatnan whenever I go into a new situation, I give myself a talking-to. Don't dominate the conversation, stop cracking stupid jokes that people don't appreciate, don't brag about your grandchildren, listen to what other people are saying even if they aren't interesting - it's quite a long list. Needless to say, my leopard's spots start showing in no time. grin

It's hard to change your fundamental characteristics, and covering them up leads to stilted conversations. I can keep it up for a while, then I get bored and either revert to type or go home! grin

greenmossgiel Mon 04-Jun-12 10:05:01

[gin] makes me grin !

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 10:06:31

Ella too busy composing my comments and yours got there before me - that's me to a 't' grin

Ella46 Mon 04-Jun-12 10:07:54

when we're both Geminis! Jump in with both feet!! grin

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 10:09:02

grin Ella

Greatnan Mon 04-Jun-12 10:13:23

I have met my match in juragran - I love spending time with her as she listens with great sympathy to my problem but doesn't let me dominate the conversation. Her company is enhancing, which is about the best compliment I can pay to anyone.
People have often said to me 'I expect you are quite shy and nervous underneath and that is why you talk so much'.They are quite wrong, but I let them think they are right. wink

greenmossgiel Mon 04-Jun-12 10:20:41

Now, I've got myself in a tizz, because I didn't include Elegran's name in the group of us who met in Edinburgh! And she was the one who waited in the rain outside Jenners'! Elegran, please forgive me! I was rushing to get my post in, before anyone beat me to it with a much more interesting one! Must add this, though - because none of us knew what each other looked like, we had to keep in touch by mobile, and just hope for the best. Glass arrived by train from Newcastle, and Gally and I had arrived at Waverley Station a few minutes before her. We phoned Glass and told her we'd be standing next to some green netting which had been put around a pillar opposite Boots! We then discovered that Glass had been standing on the other side of the pillar! When we all rushed through the rain to meet Elegran, we saw a lady standing ,obviously waiting for someone outside Jenners. I asked her if her name was E and she nervously replied, "Er, no." I told her she was nearly invited to come for coffee with us, and she looked even more nervous, then! Thankfully Elegran was found sheltering from the rain just inside the doors of the store! From then on, we all blethered for nearly 4 hours! grin

Greatnan Mon 04-Jun-12 10:28:49

Green - you can get arrested for propositioning strange women! I am very envious of your meeting.
I have to smile at the thought of Ella, when and myself getting together - would any of us get a word in edgeways? And I can think of a few other 'lively' members!

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 10:38:15

Greatnan there are a few women with strong personalities in my family, and we love to get together and have a good blether (as green aptly calls it). We all admit we have strong views about everything, but do you know?.....we get on like a house on fire, and we don't erupt into arguments or fall out with each other.

I imagine it would be the same if some of us on here got together, too. There are some very lively Gransnetters, but I am sure we would give each other space to speak whilst squirming in our seats in readiness to say our piece next! grin

Greatnan Mon 04-Jun-12 10:46:22

My daughter in NZ monitors me and when she thinks I am being too talkative she gives me that certain look and I shut up.

glammanana Mon 04-Jun-12 10:51:01

when we should have a name for a group of GNers shouldn't we,what would we call ourselves I wonder ? A gaggle,a flock,a company the list could be never ending I think,and pity the people on the next table they would be drowned out with our chattering I think.grin

whenim64 Mon 04-Jun-12 11:01:46

New thread there glamma. Shall I start it? (will credit you with the idea) smile