Gransnet forums

AIBU

My daughter has disowned us.

(61 Posts)
mugnanny Sun 12-Aug-12 11:27:04

Myself and my husband went to visit our daughter in Australia for a month. After
about 10 days one of my grandchildren then aged 8 told a lie about me which for a while her mother believed, then it came out it was a lie but my daughter verbally abused me until it was impossible to stay with her so we moved into an hotel and changed our flights back to the UK. I have tried to build bridges with e-mails and have sent birthday presents and Christmas presents she has acknowledged receipt of them. It is now three years since we have spoken I now do not know anything about the children as three years is a long time in a child's life. so I feel that this is the last year that I can send anything except cards I don't know whether to inform her that I can no longer send gift as I don't know what to order not knowing their sizes or interests and I refuse to send money as that is a sign of not bothering, the ages of the children now are 10 and 11 years my husband and I are 69 and my husband has not mentioned my daughters name since we left her home. What do I do. It is so painful.

Kiora Mon 28-Apr-14 18:48:36

Dear mugnanny you posted so I presume that the pain has resurfaced. I really can't give you any advice that hasn't all ready been given. My condolences to you on the the loss of you sister. it must be so hard dealing with the terrible grief. I don't think the pain of loosing contact with your daughter will ever go away. How could it, but I think you may be able to learn to live with it on some level. For now your dealing with two heartaches and grieving twice over. Give yourself time. Do nothing. Don't be tempted to send any e-mails just leave things for now until your mind is more settled and that may take some time. Grief has to be worked through. For a while yet your emotions will be all over the place, sad, angry, overwhelmed. Perhaps it's your estranged daughters turn to wait..and...wait and ...wait. flowers and a (((((((hug)))))))

Marelli Mon 28-Apr-14 19:06:48

I think you're right, Kiora. The time has to come when it may just dawn those that have withdrawn from us, that we are getting on with our lives. Our doors will always be open to them. mugnanny's loss of her sister might just have nudged her DD into making the move to end the estrangement. It would have given her the chance to do so without 'losing face' so to speak.
I would think that the fact that she hadn't made the effort to give some sort of comfort to you, mugnanny, has hurt you twice-fold and terribly. Be kind to yourself. You've done your very best. xx

Aka Mon 28-Apr-14 19:43:19

mugnanny so sorry to hear about your dear sister. I think your last sentence is a very wise thought flowers

Coolgran65 Mon 28-Apr-14 19:58:21

On 2 April 2014 Nonu says that Mugnanny might have gone. Please note that Mugnanny had posted on 19 March which is only 2 weeks previous. I think we all feel Mugnanny's pain and my heart aches for her whether it be one year on, 3 years on... indefinite.

Marelli Mon 28-Apr-14 20:12:25

When it's something as despairing as this, it goes on for as long as it takes to heal. And unfortunately time doesn't really heal, but talking and listening do help. So, mugnanny, please remember that we're all here.

Aka Mon 28-Apr-14 20:33:18

And you understand that despair I know Marelli flowers for you too.

nastya Sat 28-Feb-15 16:05:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anya Sat 28-Feb-15 16:07:19

hmm

Ariadne Sat 28-Feb-15 16:15:28

Precisely, Anya!!

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 28-Feb-15 16:17:51

Apologies about that.