Gransnet forums

AIBU

presents for my estranged grand daughters.

(71 Posts)
celebgran Fri 30-Nov-12 21:03:55

Well |I have chosen lots of bits and bobs yet to wrap, but got fun xmas gift bags, and we also got £25 Marks vouchers for them (just in case they get sent back we can use them!)
We are going to pop cards through door and leave presents on step, but am apprehensive, our son in law gave us police harassment warning 4 years ago and our local mp been brilliant trying to fight it for us, we managed to get permission to send cards and presents, but is enormously stressful, we never ever get an acknowledgment.
We agonised over what to do, and few people say just dont send anything but my oldest grand daughter and first grand child although not seen her since baby, I saw her at few hours old and loved seeing her for 9 months I cant just walk away.
Just hope one day my daugher will respond!!
surely not unreasonable to expect a thank you or even photo of my little grand daughters even if she does not want me in her life.

harrigran Tue 04-Dec-12 15:55:17

Welcome choirlady I am sure you will find like minded people on GN.

choirlady Tue 04-Dec-12 22:30:12

Thanks again all. Celebgran I'll message you tomorrow smile

celebgran Tue 11-Dec-12 18:50:17

well got back from our Dominic Kirwan concert and was on edge but so far no phone call or letter from police so seems like we are not going to get in trouble for delivering presents!

awful to live your life like this on edge, I was nervous wreck when the phone rang and it was reminder about my hearing aid appt!
we also had 2 1571 messages and I was nervous listening to them.

Phew so glad I saw little Mollie and so far no come back.
what a dreadful daughter I have who doesnot give a damn about her parents.
sometimes I just get angry with her other times just so sad, mixture of emotions.

Goose Tue 11-Dec-12 21:44:45

Hello everyone...I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I'm so relating to all of what's being said on this thread. Ironically, I've just finished wrapping up gift cards I bought as presents for my three daughters and my two grandchildren, none of whom I've seen for 9 months...my grand daughter I've never seen and wasn't told when she was born.
This is breaking my heart. I can understand where you're coming from Celeb...I, like you, will get no acknowledgement of my gifts, but I know my own deep feelings of emptiness are somehow lightened in the knowledge that I have given to the people I love so deeply, and who hurt me so much - the same as I have over the last 30+ years, and I get deep pleasure from doing so...the pain is I won't be there to see the gifts being opened (but neither will I be there to see the gifts possibly being thrown aside). I only hope that, whatever their reactions on receiving my gifts, if nothing else, they will perhaps remember better times, when giving and receiving were joyous times in equal measures.
Sorry, I'm waffling. It's a comfort to know that I'm not the only grandnan in the world that's going through this terrible, painful, loss...

Jodi Tue 11-Dec-12 22:51:59

That is so sad goose and how often do we hear this story of love rejected. My relationship with my own daughter is volatile, but a least we see each other often and I have unlimited access to my grandchildren.
I cannot imagine how I would cope with a situation like yours and celebgran and so many others. The mixture of emotions that must be inside you
((( hugs)))

choirlady Wed 12-Dec-12 21:00:01

I have had no acknowledgement either of gifts but I think I prefer this to a poss unpleasant email or, worse still, phone call. She knows how to get in touch...

sdfgewiuohsdf Fri 14-Dec-12 13:22:58

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jodi Fri 14-Dec-12 13:37:24

Reported

janey Fri 14-Dec-12 14:53:40

Have just read some of the threads here. Like you Jodi I have a "volatile" or up and down relationship with my DD and have 2 or3month periods of her not talking to me. She didnt speak to her father (my ex husband) for 3years so that shows you how stubborn and determined she can be. On saying all that she has never stopped me/us seeing the two GD. Oh my that would break my heart. I have been almost in tears reading some of the posts here today and just wanted to say how my herat goes out to all of the grandmothers here who have been shut out for whatever reasons. I have only known the brief periods of those heartache times cannot imagine your agonies.Xto you allX

ihbsdfjk Sat 15-Dec-12 03:00:20

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glassortwo Sat 15-Dec-12 07:36:20

Done

boatlady Sun 16-Dec-12 14:00:43

I was estranged from my daughters children for 8 years due to her drug use, she told her kids some awful stuff about me what a wicked mother I was.

When I started to see her children that was 8 years ago now they hated me but I continued to send presents and cards to them, they are now so happy to see me we have wonderful meet ups go shopping and usually a pizza because they call that our tradition not that we are italian!

I stay in a travelodge usually when I go to Devon to see them but they stay at my home when they come for a visit, we have a great friendship and a lot of love for each other they text me and ring at least once a week they are all coming for new year.

when the childern get older they find things out for themselves and make their own judgements so sit tight thedy will make up their own minds

angiebaby Sun 16-Dec-12 17:17:18

CHOIRLADY,,,,,,CELEBGRAN,,,,merry christmas everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,all those grans who have all these emotional problems with their kids,,,,ive had it too,,,,but dont give up they will come round in there own time,,,(thats annoying )i wrote a book and my kids will know how much they hurt me over the years,,,,,,but wait till therir kids treat them badly,,,,what goes around comes around,,,try not to get upset but ha,,,,you saw mollie,,,great,,,one small step for mankind,,,,they will get in touch with you sooner or later,,,,curiosity killed the cat remember......in the meantime,,,enjoy and look after yourself so when they do get in touch you can go out keep up with them and enjoy yourselves and make up for lost time, hope father christmas brings you lots of presents,,,,big hug xx welcome choirlady,,gald you could join us,

nanapug Sun 16-Dec-12 17:26:38

Gosh, this is the first thread that has ever made me cry. My heart breaks for all you grans who are banned from seeing their GC's. You are amazing people. I do hope that things can be resolved one day for you all. It certainly makes me count my blessings. Love and hugs to you all xxx

secretgran Tue 18-Dec-12 22:22:27

Hi ladies,
I came across this thread by chance, and have been inspired to join Gransnet. I found out in April this year that I am a grandma...my son fathered a baby after a one night stand....very complicated story, but we only found out when the baby - my grandson - was 4 months old! My son was in total shock and refuses to have anything to do with the baby, other than paying child maintenance. I have met my grandson 4 times, but as I have been unable to bring about reconciliation between my son and the baby's mum, she has broken off contact with me. I am heartbroken, both at not being able to be a proper grandma and at my son's attitude. I love them both and am praying that one day things will be right between them. I missed his first birthday last month - although I did get a text from his mum to thank me for his present, so hopefully she hasn't written me off completely. I don't know what to give him for Christmas, so have got a gift voucher - so impersonal, but I don't know what he wants or needs. I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone, but it is comforting to know that there are other grandparents out there undergoing similar challenges - I thought that I was the only one!

whenim64 Tue 18-Dec-12 23:04:19

Welcome secretgran. News of a grandchild ought to be the beginning of a wonderful time and I'm glad to hear you have been able to see the baby. Maybe there never will be a relationship between the parents, but the mum might find your continued presence helpful over time. Keep sending litte gifts and asking for photos, which you can then thank her for and comment about the great job she's doing. I do hope you get to see more of him.

choirlady Wed 19-Dec-12 11:10:50

Welcome secretgran and thanks for your welcome angiebaby smile

secretgran Thu 20-Dec-12 21:41:13

Thank you whenim64 and choirlady for your welcome! I get glimpses of my little grandson from pictures on facebook, but it's bittersweet because it is lovely to see him, but agonising to see what I am missing. I love celebgran's idea of keeping a blog because I know that one day, this young man will want answers and I want him to know that I have never given up on him, despite his parent's differences. Happy Christmas to you all xx

celebgran Fri 21-Dec-12 17:29:40

oh dear I am feeling very upset now nearly Xmas and not word from my daughter, on edge for her contacting her godmother, and not us it will hurt us so much.

I had one of my panic attacks last night, it is just so very very stresful this time of year I miss her so and long to see my grand daughter.

I must get a grip I have lovely husband, and friends and marvellous son!!

Goose Sat 22-Dec-12 22:24:00

Hi celebgran...I'm fairly new on this site but have learned very quickly how much valuable support there is from other nans/grans/mums who are going through your heartache scenario, which it is almost unbearable.
I, for one, understand exactly your pain. Christmas is very stressful at the best of times, and we have it rammed down our throats, this whole big, happy Christmas family thing - a bit like out of a black & white film, and as unreal. Life ain't like that for a lot of us. There's a lot of grans/nans/mums here that are in a tunnel of treacle with a light at the end that's an oncoming train! Thankfully though we support each other through this horrific time. Yes, you have a lovely husband, friends and a marvelous son - and you have us:-) Keep talking and posting. Being in a similar situation to you, I get so much comfort from the wise words of other women who gather here to help each other (((hugs))) flowers

Ella46 Sat 22-Dec-12 22:33:49

Yes, do keep posting over Christmas if you feel the need, some of us will be on our own and will be glad to listen if you feel down smile

crimson Sat 22-Dec-12 23:15:04

Well; I'm [thankfully] seeing my grandchildren for a couple of hours but will be on here for a lot of the day so we can have some jolly nice chats, even if it's about what we're watching on the telly. Oh secretgran; how sad. Facebook [which I don't go on] can be, I believe a rather cruel place...people that have split up from boyfriends and girlfriends still being able to see what they're doing. And to see a grandchild but not be able to visit. Bit like that mirror in Harry Potter where he can see his mum and dad. I've only got a tiny tiny sadness compared to so many of you, but we're all here for each other and that's good. So, welcome secretgran. And Goose says that she gets comfort from people on here but she helped me so much when I was very down, so everyone plays their part.

suebeck Sun 23-Dec-12 17:45:02

I wrote a message on here a couple of hours ago but it is not showing. I saw my lovely daughter ten days ago and we exchanged presents. No word though of me seeing my granddaughters and this will be the 4th Christmas that I havent seen them. I will be alone on Christmas Day by choice, as I couldnt bear to spend the day with my friends and their families. Ive treated myself to some lovely things (food) from M & S and will also be going out to a nice place with my beautiful dog. Bless you all.

janey Sun 23-Dec-12 17:55:52

Have just written a diatribe on "denied contact with grandchildren" thread suebeck in answer to your posting that you mention here. I forget aswel which thread I have posted on. Bless you too suebeck I wish a peacefull day
it sounds like bliss to me. If you look at my posting on the thread I have mentioned above I apologise to you and all for the length of it and its convoluted tale. I think I have to "do" something in the new year. Really do not know what. Love to all

Nonu Sun 23-Dec-12 18:03:39

Suebeck and Janey , Peace be with you . x

smile