Gransnet forums

AIBU

Help me please

(51 Posts)
Missstripeysocks Mon 17-Jun-13 16:34:48

Hi everyone I am new here and decided I needed other grans help...I apologise in advance for how long this might be...
.I have a 20yr old son who has a beautiful little girl...
in the beginning of his relationship he was just casually seeing a girl who ended up pregnant within a month ...
I accepted this but found out that she had also slept with someone else during the same time....trying not to judge but obviously worried I sent my son a personal message asking if he was sure he was the dad and saying no matter what I would stand by him ...
This ended up with his partner going into his private messages and reading what was for my son
she then demanded she was to be marched up to my house and told my son he was to shout at me in front of her or else! I felt awful but was adamant that I was only doing what any concerned mother would do and was asking to make sure
...meanwhile she demanded that I apologise or else I wouldn't get to see my future grandchild...
That was just the start of it ....
I also had my concerns because prior to this she lost a baby to someone else just a few months earlier who died of complications which I had full sympathy for as I have been through the same...
but I couldn't help but feel she got pregnant so quickly as a replacement ?
Anyway since this has all happened I feel as if we are living a nightmare ...I apologised then at the time to keep the peace and for the sake of my son and future grandchild..
my granddaughter was born and at the beginning for a few weeks she was fine with me seeing her ...
problems have arisen along the way in that my sons partner is very controlling I constantly have him up here telling me horrific stories like she locks him in the house..doesn't give him any money..threatens to slit her wrists...won't let him have any contact with family and friends...etc the list goes on it kills me to see him like this but he won't listen to any advice makes it up with her then i don't see him until the next big argument..
But her latest tool is my grandchild she makes every excuse up as to why I can't see her
.then says its my fault because I couldn't babysit once when I was going out, my son comes up every now and then and says he can only stay for half an hour...
or she says I can have her then changes it at the last minute so I can't..the final straw was being told i couldn't see her on her birthday to give her presents but her family were all there I was even told what I had to buy!
The latest blow is that my son has told me I am not welcome in there house which upset him...I asked her what I had ever done to deserve this and she says I owe her an apology because my sister said to my son he was being controlled by her ? And was upset because my son wasn't allowed to go to her wedding
None of it makes any sense I can't deal with it anymore I just want to see my granddaughter ive only looked after her twice but she does everything in her power to prevent it ...I am also out of my mind with worry for my son the whole thing is a mess from start to finish .....has anyone dealt with this that can offer me any advice sorry its long and a bit jumbled ..there is a lot more i could have said she has done but it would take forever to write down ...I am heartbroken and have tried to appease this girl but can't take much more .

j08 Tue 18-Jun-13 15:32:44

Someone how it doesn't seem right to do too much straight talking to an elderly lady. So I have been holding back.

It was risky emailing that to him. You should have found a private moment with him. And if you can be that casual about one thing, well, you might not be putting enough care into your family relationships all round.

You will just have to keep trying to bring her round. Or, rely on your son to bring g daughter to see you.

Missstripeysocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:04:17

Jo8 I actually find you quite offensive...I am a good mum and I am always here for my family my children tell me they would be lost without me...and through this my son still tells me he loves me and he knows I am not wrong in this...
I advise you to put more care with your words...you obviously have nothing better to do than be judgemental I feel very sorry for you I don't think I could be so rude to someone I didn't know !

Movedalot Tue 18-Jun-13 16:09:48

I think the reality is that she holds all the cards. If you don't do what she says she can take your GC and DS away from you. I know some feel this is what you must do rather than accept her abuse but I would accept an awful lot rather than lose them.

Missstripeysocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:15:15

Your right she does hold all the cards and I will put up with anything but not abuse....I have had a word with my son and told him we are always here no matter what for him...I will always leave the door open ...and I hope as time goes on she will see that we are good people ...I will just have to accept that this is the way it is ...

maxgran Tue 18-Jun-13 16:22:46

Hopefully your son will make sure you see your granddaughter more in the future if/when he wakes up!
How your son's girlfriend can dare attack you when she thinks its ok to read someone's private emails amazes me!
She is not a good person, I doubt things will ever improve with her.

j08 Tue 18-Jun-13 16:31:30

You came on here with your problem. I'm sorry if you don't like my advice. Or my take on the situation.

Try Mumsnet?

Missstripeysocks Tue 18-Jun-13 17:11:16

Oh jo8 your right I thought your attitude was very rude....but no thanks I will stick with gransnet smile

j08 Tue 18-Jun-13 17:29:10

Good. smile

Nanban Thu 20-Jun-13 09:33:10

I am so sorry for the horrific situation you are in - sadly the damage was done at the beginning and demanding a DNA test would seal your fate whatever it proved. All you can try and do is keep going towards her with friendship and support however hard and difficult that is and however much she pushes you away. This relationship will end and it may well be that you then lose this little grandchild but only until she is old enough to find you. Be very very cautious what you commit to email or 'share' with close friends and family so that you run no risk of tittle tattle which always gets twisted away from the original. Your true friends will understand. Give her no ammunition to use and hurt you with and above all, if you don't appear to be hurt maybe she will lose interest in trying.

Missstripeysocks Fri 21-Jun-13 09:51:53

Great advice....can I please just say I didn't just discuss this through an email I privately spoke with my son first...
it was the first and last message I ever sent him ..I most certainly didnt expect it to be opened up by anyone other than himself..
.I make no apologies for wondering if the baby was his as he was only 19 years old at the time and she was seeing someone else at the same time they had been together for just weeks ....i have never demanded a dna test ...i acceted it was up to him...I have only been kind towards her and have had no slanging match with her...the door is always open but I also have great concern for my son when he comes home all the time crying because she is mentally abusing him ,locking him in etc...telling him to give up his job because she doesn't like it he works with his stepdad through our business....I feel that I can tolerate anything but worry for my boy as he is so young ...but he chooses to stay all I can do is leave my door wide open for him to come back....

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 09:59:11

But if he left her and came back to you, you would most likely have no chance of seeing the little girl. I think you need them to stay together. She should get some help from a doctor. But you had better not suggest that!!!

Would you take it the wrong way if I said you need to encourage your boy to 'man up' and be firm (but kind too) with her?

Missstripeysocks Fri 21-Jun-13 10:16:27

Hi jo8 I have told him he must man up a bit because she is so strong natured and he is very soft..he is only making a rod for his own back...I agree I think perhaps there are mental issues...

annodomini Fri 21-Jun-13 10:38:59

If he leaves this woman, your son would be leaving his child with a seriously disturbed mother who might take out her frustrations on her. If he stays with her, he is himself being abused. There is surely a case for intervention but I'm no expert, though other members of this forum are.

whenim64 Fri 21-Jun-13 10:50:39

My son tried to stay with his abusive ex, hoping he could stick it out until my grandson was about 16. He left when grandson was 11, and had a terrible time being denied contact for several months, but the court was on his side and it's in the past now.

If he contacts Fathers4Justice, or Families Need Fathers, they will give good advice and support. Cafcass have used their suggestions about parental alienation and incorporated them into guidelines.

I would say keep all evidence of attempts to separate father and child, and a record of abusive behaviour. Her abuse appears to amount to criminal behaviour, so he could ask the police for support by phoning the Domestic Abuse Unit. They never pick up the phone - you leave a message and they phone back immediately, unless they are out on a call.

If there is any paternity doubt, do a DNA test asap, before the opportunity is denied.

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 10:59:51

Sometimes I think we can be too sympathetic with our sons. Mine still expects emotional support from me when things don't work out for him. I'm rapidly reaching the stage where I tell him to just get on with it and work it out for himself. I reckon it can work sometimes. (to not be too sympathetic)

I'm a great believer in modern meds for all.

I realise though that that in your situation there is a precious granddaughter involved.

Hey-ho, I wish I had the answers to it all. Your stuff and mine.

Have some of this from me - sunshine smile

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:01:51

There you are - listen to when's much more practical advice.

Greatnan Fri 21-Jun-13 11:55:20

I thought your advice was quite practical, too, jingle.

DottyB Fri 21-Jun-13 18:37:54

Not quite in the same vein, but the way my friend managed her situation might be of use. When her son's first daughter (and first GC) was born, she was kept at arm's length, the DiL getting help/input etc from her Mum, which is generally the most usual scenario whether there are rifts or not. The son would randomly call her to say, for example 'you can come down for half an hour now if you want' or 'you can come down now and bath her if you want'. She wasn't allowed to just pop in. She wasn't allowed to buy odd things for the baby without approval (anything she bought which the DiL didn't like was given back) She was working shifts at the time, and on her own, and whether she'd just come off a night shift, or put her car away for the night - off she'd go. I used to urge her to tell her son how upset and left out she felt, because these visits were irregular with sometimes long gaps between each, but she wouldn't, saying she didn't want to cause any upset and was grateful for what she got.
Well, as so often happens, the novelty wore off eventually, her son began visiting with the baby, she was invited over there more frequently, and then the babysitting started, and before you could blink an eye, they were quite happy for her to have the DGD over the weekend!!
At the moment, you are the baddie. Maybe the girl is being so controlling and 'nasty' because she's scared of losing your son if she allows him to be 'influenced' by you, frightened of losing the baby in some way, especially following previous loss? Does sound, though, as though she could do with some counselling.
As others have said, and indeed as you are trying to do, just keep that door open, be patient, support your son and advise him as best you can and maybe the girl will grow to trust and like you eventually. You never know! It's a difficult and sad situation, but take heart and keep posting - sometimes a solution or course of action materialises just by talking/writing about it. Good Luck to you all.

Aka Fri 21-Jun-13 19:11:01

Good advice DottyB. Also if you keep posting you will release some of you own anxiety and that may even ease the situation with you son's partner. Who knows?

Greatnan Fri 21-Jun-13 19:16:05

I think I can understand why she would be angry to find out you doubted if your son were the father and were urging him to take a paternity test. I think most women would be very hurt and resentful about that. Have you tried to explain to her why you were so worried?

Minty Fri 21-Jun-13 19:32:03

You may find this useful
www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1193167-Denied-Contact-with-Grandchildren-August-2012-onwards

Nanban Sat 22-Jun-13 10:24:35

An absolute truth is that from the outside looking in relationships always get misunderstood; looking in through a loved relatives eyes - hopeless. You started the thread with 'a casual relationship' - unprotected sex is never that, should never be that especially as - like joining in any dangerous activity/sport - it can be life threatening and certainly life-changing. Having been casual, for sure he must 'man-up' and perhaps stop running home to offload but deal with the relationship he has helped create, and the baby who has been created.

Sorry if that is harsh. You are his mum and you love him, but this, he must deal with for himself and the good of the baby.

JammieB Sat 22-Jun-13 11:27:55

I'm afraid that you are just going to have to step back from this one, you have enough on your plate with the ones you have at home and you need to be well and strong for THEM. It would probably be the hardest thing you have ever done but your son in now an adult by law though I know he will always be your "boy".
I have always felt that I have to let them go,they will probably make a lot of mistakes along the way but be there to help them pick up the pieces when things go wrong.
So sorry that you are having to go through this and, believe me, I do understand your pain xx

henetha Sat 22-Jun-13 11:30:53

This situation is heartbreaking and I feel for you. It makes me realise how lucky I am in my daughters-in-law. It's a tricky relationship, but can work
if both sides are willing to try.
I'm not sure what you can do now to resolve matters, but I do hope things will improve.

Missstripeysocks Mon 24-Jun-13 17:15:52

I haven't been on for a few days but would like to say thank you very much ladies for all your advice...I have just decided to keep trying to see my grandaughter through my son ...I don't think whatever I do is ever good enough for his partner and I struggle with how nasty she can be ..however I will be civilised for the sake of my son and grandaughter I wouldn't want to fight fire with fire although I think it's what she would like ...I won't give her ammunition to throw at me...
I have decided to be a bit tougher with my son I love him to bits but its no good him coming over crying constantly telling me she is awful ,us giving him advice then the next day telling us we are wrong and making us out to be bad the door will always stay open but I am going to step back just a little as I feel emotionally wrung out...thanks again x