Gransnet forums

AIBU

DIL needing advice off a Gran.

(36 Posts)
RedheadedMommy Sun 23-Jun-13 20:26:44

Hello Grans!
I need some advice from a non biasted group. Im tierd, fed up with my MIL who is also a gran.
Before i tell you whats annoyed me this time, please bare in mind that this isnt a one off, this is a regular thing, also heaps more has happened..5 years of things that have happened.

Today, she was supposed to come down to see her GD. We changed plans even tho we had things to do, did a super clean up, told our daughter..etcetc.
She texted me my saying she couldnt come down today cause she was on her period.
This is'nt the first time shes used this..her husband drives so its not like she has to walk. she sits and drinks coffee whilst shes does so its not exactly 'hard work' oh and shes 42.
Now, the reason im pretty pissed, im 35 weeks pregnant with our 2nd. I have hip/pelvis and back ache. Baby is engaged so it feels like there is an elephant ready to fall out. Im exhausted and im pain and have been for most of my pregnancy...yet i still manage to pull through an hour or so vists once a week.

So my question is, is canceling on your GD due to period pain acceptable?
Am i just being hormonal?
She isnt the one who has to tell my 3 year old 'nanny and grandad' arn't coming down, again.

Im just totaly fed. and very hormonal. AIBU?

Mishap Thu 21-Nov-13 10:45:01

Congratulations - enjoy your lovely little family and do not expend too much energy worrying about situation with MIL.

annodomini Thu 21-Nov-13 11:19:40

Focus on your own lovely family. One day, when you become a mother-in-law (and it does creep up on you eventually!), you will know how NOT to do it!

gracesmum Thu 21-Nov-13 12:14:28

Congratualtions and thank you for coming back to tell us the good news. There have been comments on the past about contributors with a problem, advice from members and then no more is heard so you never know if things have improved or not. Delighted to hear your news - may your new baby bring you much happiness.sunshine

Nelliemoser Thu 21-Nov-13 12:14:53

Congratulations Redheaded Enjoy her, its nice you have given us "feedback" flowers

RedheadedMommy Fri 22-Nov-13 14:15:35

Thank you! She is an absolute stunner (but im biased grin she is pale, dark brown hair and blue eyes!

It is MIL's loss. She is missing out on so much. When confronted she turned it all back onto us, blamed us and said some pretty vile things to my DH, who has done everything for her. He used to pick her up/take her home once a week, he'd take her shopping..all sorts.

Thats was abit of a rant, sorry! DH is free to have a relationship with her but I think he has given up. I really wish things was different.

Lona Fri 22-Nov-13 15:47:13

Just enjoy your own little family Redheadedmommy, many congratulations
flowers

Her loss!

YaYaJen Fri 22-Nov-13 17:06:38

Congratulations! Many, many families are far from, peace, harmony and light for all sorts of reasons, the previous posts have some good advice but I would just like to add that we can never change another person but we are in charge of how we react to their behaviour and by not taking it personally we can have far greater peace of mind and not be affected by others negativity.

The reasons for her behaviour and attitude may never be clear - even to her herself - what matters is that your own family is not negatively affected.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Nov-13 17:55:12

YaYa sums it up perfectly.

RedheadedMommy Fri 22-Nov-13 18:38:16

YaYa you sum it up perfectley.

It just makes me so angry. There are nans here who have been dinied contact for no real reason who would love to see their grandchildren...then there's her. Who have family, who want her to have a relationship with them and she can't be bothered. She is so lucky and she has no idea.

Ive been told she is Toxic, ive googled it and she fits the bill.

RedheadedMommy Fri 22-Nov-13 18:38:43

*denied