Gransnet forums

AIBU

I feel like I ruined my gs christening

(58 Posts)
annie56 Fri 02-Aug-13 19:46:41

I feel gutted and cant get over it. I have 5 gc but my sons ds got christened last week. Rules of dress to us were suits (dh) nothing black etc. So we dressed perfectly for a christening (I would anyway even without rules) when we arrived there were godparents in black, no-one is suits other than dh and my other son who was godfather (godmothers wore dark too) so I thought maybe it was my sons gf telling us only what to wear. No-one spoke from her family to us and I spoke to a few in church (only her nan spoke)During party, each time we asked to hold our gs there were excuses such as he was hot, asleep, being winded etc but i saw him being picked up by dil stepmother, father, sister etc. We held him once to show my sil's who had never seen him and my daughter who had travelled for the christening with her 5 year old. No-one again spoke to us apart from dil grandparents. dil never came to our table to explain why gs was not able to come to us - 2-3 hours into party and we were still at our table with no-one speaking and no gs to hold. This is also the case normally, my dil has never been to our house with gs, and she stops my son bringing him by himself, we have to go to theirs when she gives permission.
At the end, we decided to leave about hour before end (lots of others had left) and I tried to kiss dil on cheek but she sort of offered little bit of her cheek, without meaning it I said well don't bother then and walked out with the rest of my family - my son (gs father) got upset but I didnt think he heard me - so now I feel like I wrecked the only christening that we'll have and feel sorry for my son who was so proud I never meant for it to come out - it was in my head and came out and think cos I had had one drink and I dont drink usually. I apologised by FB to dil but she answered with a few expletives and said I had embarrassed myself in front of everyone etc. i then sent her flowers and all pics of the christening on FB are of her family with gs - they never even asked if we wanted pics at the font, my sister in law had to suggest it
I am most gutted for my son, he says all ok with him but I cant forgive myself. i have looked forward to a gc christening and I go and blurt that out but I cant stand being treated like it - dil says we should have asked to hold him but we did ask our son for him and got all sorts of excuses then saw her family holding him and walking round with him. i admit we never went to their table to ask but didnt want to get rebuked in public
should I just let things lie now - hope someone understands how I feel, My husband even said I should have kept it in but couldnt help it coming out sad

MargaretX Tue 13-Aug-13 10:35:27

I agree with most of the other comments. Leave FB alone. Families - because they love each other soon get too deep if there are differences and feelings get hurt.
I have just spent a week in the UK with DD1. We flew together. Before I left DD2 warned me. Mama just don't take offence so easily!

On these pages I often advise peole to stand back and give children space and this time took my own advice. We -DD1 and I had a couple of 'differences' but survived the holiday. If I had been constantly posting on FB we would have split up by now.
You will soon forget the Christening, it was not a crime after all to react to being ignored. At the next Christening you can find an excuse not to go.

Anne58 Tue 13-Aug-13 10:44:11

annie there is something that you are just going to have to accept, whether you like it or not and that is you cannot go back and re-do the christening! so saying that you "can't get over it" is pointless.

You now have to focus on what happens next in order to improve relationships all round.

Now, if the relationship between your son & dil is looking rocky, then I'm afraid that the last thing on either of their minds is going to be you. Step back, see what happens between them, as this may affect how things are managed in the future.

Sorry girl to sound hard, but it's tough love time, so that's what I'm offering you.

Plus some flowers

kittylester Tue 13-Aug-13 10:55:55

I'm sorry Annie that you are having all this trouble but I agree with phoenix! It happens! My DS2 married a witch but, fortunately, they split up before having children or I know we would be having all sorts of problems trying to have any presence in their lives. You are probably best just to bide your time and be there for your son for now. sad

My DDs post photos of their children on FB and I save them to my photos, print them out and show off with them like in the old days. grin

Anne58 Wed 14-Aug-13 02:02:30

annie I do hope we haven't upset you?

annie56 Wed 14-Aug-13 12:00:16

lol
No, I havent been online for a few days - too much trouble caused online
I agree with all comments, I am keeping my distance, and yes I have saved the photos to my computer and will print them out but I just wanted to see my GS growing up and can only see that by DIL photos as my son does not take any
Ah Well - C'est La Vie

celebgran Wed 14-Aug-13 12:40:46

Well done Annie is hard to cope with not being treated well and some comments were unkind I felt wish you well x

annie56 Wed 14-Aug-13 13:03:17

thank you Celebgran xx