Gransnet forums

AIBU

Euthanasia at aged 44

(57 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 02-Oct-13 10:02:07

AIBU to be alarmed that a young man of 44 felt that this was the only way to relieve his suffering, and that a doctor was willing to do the deed?

Euthanasia

NfkDumpling Fri 04-Oct-13 16:50:23

Perhaps Belgium's Social Services are in a similar understaffed state as ours. It does seem that this man didn't get the support he needed throughout his life. And, if true, it's amazing that one doctor should have the authority - or self confidence, to end someone's life. Surely other people must have been involved? And the fact that he was able to end the lives of those twins on the possibility that they may become blind? Shadows of Dr Shipman?

Mishap Fri 04-Oct-13 19:10:25

I agree dumpling - there is something slightly suspect about someone who is prepared to end the lives of such young people for what (at least in one instance) sounds like a rather vague reason.

There have been several instances of nurses and doctors getting a bit of a kick out of the power trip of control over life and death. This is one of the side issues in the euthanasia debate and why the rules need to be clear.

Iam64 Fri 04-Oct-13 19:18:09

Nfk - I haven't read all the reports about this, but what I have read doesn't raise shadows of Dr Shipman for me. He murdered people, and wrote false death certificates. That he got away with it for so long has had implications for the medical profession, and there seems to be no doubt it'll be more difficult for any future serial killer doctors out there. I agree though, that the whole subject of assisted death needs to be discussed as sensitively as possible. We're mostly of an age that we'll have had experience of loved ones living in pain, or without an ability to communicate, feed themselves. have lost any independence or dignity. I wouldn't want to live like that. I wouldn't want my loved ones or GP prosecuted if they eased my way. I recognise that not everyone is in the position of having loving family members, who can be trusted with your life and death. Also, that some people would prefer to live until their life leaves them naturally. Then, there is religious belief. Such difficult issues to consider

NfkDumpling Fri 04-Oct-13 22:31:08

I still don't think, Iam, that one doctor should take it himself to end someone's life - even if they request it. Legalistically it's too much responsibility for one person to take on. It opens up a minefield. For instance - Should a GP with little or no phychiatric training agree to end the life of someone with mental health problems?
I do agree with voluntary euthanasia - but it needs proper safeguards.

Iam64 Sat 05-Oct-13 08:30:07

Nfk - we aren't in disagreement about the issue of one doctor making such a decision. If an individual's mental health deteriorates to the point they are a danger to themselves, or to others, it needs 2 doctors and a social worker to agree to take them into hospital against their will. So - yes, it would need 2 medics and another, probably an experienced social worker, or even a Guardian? But - it's my belief that some medics continue to quietly assist, by for example increasing morphine in discussion with the patient and family - I wouldn't want to get in the way of that by delaying decisions at a crucial point

NfkDumpling Sat 05-Oct-13 17:58:03

With you there Iam. They need to be careful though. I think I just caught the end of something on the radio where a nurse (?) has been arrested for murdering an elderly man in a care home?