Gransnet forums

AIBU

What am I doing wrong?

(32 Posts)
Soutra Fri 06-Dec-13 23:57:36

I undertook to organise our Book Group Christmas lunch today - emailed pub, got menus, collated choices, liaised with pub re times et and took round a cheque for the deposit. I also baked cardamom shortbread biscuits, put 6 each in little cellophane bags from Lakeland, tied a bit of ribbon round the top, attched a Christmas tag to say" Happy Christmas, love from Soutra "and put one at each place.
While I did not expect a speech, bouquet or even undying gratitude I am feeling let down that only 1 person has sent me an email to say it was lovedly (it was - gorgeous meal) thanks for arranging and thanks for the biccies. Is it unreasonable to think that one expresses thanks for even a small gesture? It was drummed into me as a child and I wonder if I am wrong to expect it from others? it is like when you have friends round for a meal, or to stay - a quick text/email/phone call just to say "Thank you" the next day is the least I would expect to do. AIBU?

Deedaa Sun 08-Dec-13 22:20:58

It does take a lot of work to organise these things and one does like to be thanked. If I go out with a friend and she has already booked theatre tickets or reserved a table for lunch I always make a point of thanking her. It just seems the natural thing to do.

Iam64 Mon 09-Dec-13 09:07:28

You aren't doing anything wrong Soutra. This time of year is so busy, emotions somehow get higher than at any other time of the year. If you enjoy your book group, I'd try and let this go if you can. It amazes me that so many of us are thoughtless about acknowledging when others have made efforts as you have. Still, I'm often amazed by casual ill manners - am I getting old!?

Soutra Mon 09-Dec-13 09:51:44

kitty your suggestion that one of them might be on GN did make me think!!! I have had a moan about one of the group before now! I am trying to remember what I said tchconfused Oo-er!

jeanie99 Tue 10-Dec-13 12:00:17

In my working life I arranged celebration meals and Christmas dinner dances over the years, it's a thankless task and you cannot please everyone.

Some people are very grateful and others complain about how loud the band is even if you have arranged for quiet rooms to be available.

It's quite a job organizing events especially for high numbers and most people don't realize just what actually goes into it.

In your case these people are rude and bad mannered and it can be upsetting but you have to just let it go over your head. It wouldn't surprise me if the majority did enjoy the meal but just didn't think to say they had, some people just don't think.

Maggiemaybe Tue 10-Dec-13 12:31:40

But hasn't Soutra said that all but one had actually contacted her with written (emailed) thanks by lunchtime the following day? And I assume they had thanked her too after the meal itself? I don't really think they were rude and bad mannered at all, and I'm sure they did appreciate the effort that Soutra went to.

I have a friend who regularly organises amazing get-togethers and always adds her own little touches to any event - personalised gifts, etc. We love her to bits and always make sure she knows how much we appreciate the work she puts in. If it wasn't for people like her we would probably all lose touch.

mrsmopp Fri 13-Dec-13 14:01:43

Lots of people are more thoughtless these days and take everything for granted.
I have a problem with people who do not return hospitality. They come and stay, get fed, wined and dined and taken out but dont ask us back. They thank us and say they are looking forward to seeing us again but never invite us to theirs.
I am getting that i dont want them to come anymore.
I am not a hotel!