Gransnet forums

AIBU

Reducing contact with Grandmother

(133 Posts)
veexox Tue 14-Jan-14 00:37:58

Hi I'm a young 20 year old mother to a 6 month old darling girl we have been living with partners parents since I was 8 months pregnant. Since baby was born MIL has been total nightmare snatching baby off me, feeding, changing, constant bombardment she won't leave us to just bond as a family of 3 she's always telling me what to do and putting me down. Since she was born MIL revolves her life around my child today for instance I previously told MIL could she look after LO for an hour alone as I needed to go to university to pick some work up I thought I was doing her a favour as I could easily have taken her with me . Little did I know MIL swapped her shifts when I told MIL I didn't need to go she hit the roof wouldn't speak to me so I had to go for an hours walk so she could spend time with my daughter I don't really let her babysit alone as I love spending time with my daughter... She's a lonely lady in an unhappy marriage and lives her life through her 3 sons since baby's been born she seems to think it's another chance to be a mum again. She's barged in on the birth, called me fat the list goes on and on. I've told my partner we either move out or I'm going without him he's tried talking to MIL but she doesn't listen we have told her we are moving out in a few weeks and MIL has hit the roof stating she will be going for custody and visitation 5 times a week. She's called me an unfit mother etc she just seems completely obsessed with my daughter! I'm thinking of cutting contact for a while until she stops being so clingy I don't want to cut her out of my daughters life I just want her to respect me as her mother and primary carer. How can I stop her doing this? It's really stressing me out I just want her to be Grandma !

Ariadne Fri 21-Feb-14 12:03:48

veevox that sounds like very positive news - the new job and a move! I had to transfer universities when I was about your age, and it wasn't a problem.

You have to get away, as fast as you can. I hope you can do it soon.

Mishap Fri 21-Feb-14 12:33:14

Who indeed Veevox. Her behaviour is not normal and sadly (as having good relationship with grandparents can be very positive) you are undoubtedly doing the right thing; and I am delighted for you all that you will be moving away and getting on with your own lives and parenting without this toxic influence. I am sure it is not a situation you would have chosen, but I am glad that a solution has presented itself and wish you every good luck for your new future.

annodomini Fri 21-Feb-14 12:40:13

Great news, Veexox. I hope that you all settle down in Manchester and have a lovely future as a family.

whenim64 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:17:17

You'll be fine up here in Manchester, and who knows - the relationship might regain a little balance because of the distance. Good luck.

yogagran Sun 23-Feb-14 22:04:07

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your news Veexox, it's so good when we hear of the outcome of these threads especially when they turn out to be so positive. Good luck with the move for you and your family

glammanana Mon 24-Feb-14 11:08:22

Such good news Veexox well done to your OH for getting a job he likes and you will soon be settled in uni,will you use the uni childminding facilities for your DD when you are at lectures ? Enjoy your new surroundings and put all the silly suggestions from your MIL at the back of your mind she is obviously terrified of loosing control of her DS and your child,can you not go up to Manchester a week or so before you are due to start uni & leave OH to pack up all your belongings that way there will be no final upsets with MIL,you could maybe stay with your dad and his family and relax for a week or so.

Flowerofthewest Mon 24-Feb-14 13:33:28

Agree with you Veevox she does sound slightly unhinged. What a strange thing to say. Good luck with the move for you all. Do as glamma says and do a midnight flit with OH doing the final goodbyes. Good luck flowers