Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should we ignore....

(47 Posts)
Aka Tue 18-Mar-14 08:23:52

When a poster makes a disparaging remark about another, is it best to ignore than remark, possibly leaving the victim feeling hurt and isolated and the perpetrator triumphant, or is it better to remark that a post is distasteful and support the innocent party?

The latter reeks to me a bit like those who 'passed by on the other side'. Whereas the former at least offers the opportunity for an apology if the remark was genuinely misinterpreted or for over-aggressive posters to realise how others see their posts. Or of course a break out of hostilities!

Let's keep this clean folks, no names, no use of the b****ing word, no biting scratching or blows below the belt grin

merlotgran Tue 18-Mar-14 16:38:30

Elegran, What if they make it quite clear that they do mind. Do they not deserve a bit of support?

mollie Tue 18-Mar-14 16:42:01

Well, perhaps someone (as suggested here) might have pm'd me to ask if I minded and then offered some support? I don't know - isn't this the point of the thread? How do we know if someone has been offended if they don't say? If I got hit with a ball and said 'ouch' I think everyone would know the ball had hurt...

Ana Tue 18-Mar-14 16:50:14

Yes, I see what you mean, mollie. I suppose I was thinking that 'Ouch' might indicate that although you acknowledged the dig, you didn't think it worth commenting further, and everyone would just leave it at that.

Dragonfly1 Tue 18-Mar-14 16:51:06

I was offended when a poster called me a bitch in a pm so I said so. I love Gransnet but I do think some of us take ourselves and political correctness a bit too seriously sometimes.

BAnanas Tue 18-Mar-14 16:54:58

I read about a spat on Mumsnet at the week-end, a couple of posters were really offensive to the person who started the thread who was merely expressing an opinion, their responses were way over the top and really nasty and very aggressive.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 17:00:34

Sometimes people love to take things personally when they know quite well it isn't meant to be. I wonder what the psychology behind that is?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 17:01:54

That comment had nothing to do with any recent posts. Just a random remark really.

sunseeker Tue 18-Mar-14 17:05:55

Perhaps we need an emoticon which says someone has been hurt or upset by a post. It is sometimes difficult with the written word to work out whether the writer was being jocular or unpleasant.

mollie Tue 18-Mar-14 17:06:08

I think on that occasion it would have felt good if someone else had just noticed. But I didn't have the energy to fight my own corner at the time hence the one-word comment. it's in the past but relevant here,,,

kittylester Tue 18-Mar-14 17:09:18

Lots of people may have noticed mollie but thought you were trying to keep the mood calm. flowers

mollie Tue 18-Mar-14 18:23:12

That's fair enough...

Elegran Tue 18-Mar-14 18:52:27

If the person referred to clearly minds, that is one thing. If they clearly take it as a joke, and reply in kind, that is another, and anyone turning it into a cause for an argument is just interfering for their own satisfaction, not to help the "victim".

Among real friends many a jocular reference is neither meant nor taken as a genuine attack. Online and read by those who don't know the individuals concerned, it is not always easy to distinguish one from another, but I would always be wary of demanding an apology for a comment to anyone but myself.

Ana Tue 18-Mar-14 19:00:53

Yes, I agree Elegran, which point has been clearly demonstrated on another of today's threads. I do think the OP was referring to posts which are obviously not jocular references, though.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 19:04:40

Can't people just stick up for themselves? confused Are we really such shy little "victims"?

Tegan Tue 18-Mar-14 19:17:22

Sometimes on here when people do stick up for themselves or point out that they feel hurt by something they're just told to 'harden up' though. And if they feel they're in some sort of minority they tend to keep quiet. If I feel that I've hurt or offended someone I feel bad about it but that's just me being ubersensitive I guess.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 19:22:01

How does feeling bad about it help? If you have genuinely hurt someone, then apologise.

Ana Tue 18-Mar-14 19:28:54

Some members seem to feel that the 'never apologise, never explain' maxim is best. hmm

absent Tue 18-Mar-14 19:43:31

By all means point out that someone has posted a remark that you regard as offensive to another poster but it is equally offensive – and contrary to Gransnet guidelines – to imply that the someone in question is a liar.

glassortwo Tue 18-Mar-14 19:52:31

ana the blanket is coming along slowly but surely smile pet glad this isnt a big blanket or DGS will be at Uni before its finished grin
Sorry for deviating from the thread.

Ana Tue 18-Mar-14 19:56:27

It was a welcome diversion, glass - thanks for the blanket update! grin

glassortwo Tue 18-Mar-14 19:58:00

wink