Gransnet forums

AIBU

I just dont know what to do!

(88 Posts)
louisamay Mon 14-Jul-14 20:05:00

Hi. I am new to this website and I hate my first post to be a 'rant' but I am desperate because I just dont know where I have gone wrong. To give some background: One daughter, 30, lives in USA, married, no chldren, we visit twice a year, they visit twice. Everything fine. Son, 36, previously married for one year, wife left after she had affair with married colleague. Affair ended, wife wanted to return but son refused to take her back when he found she had been having the affair even prior to their marriage. This resulted in a messy, costly divorce as ex daughter in law tried to force sale of property but Judge ruled she had no entitlement to house son bought 5 years prior to meeting wife. Fast forward two years and son meets someone new She seems really nice and we hope all will be well. Last year she ( will call her DIL as seems daft to keep repeating 'partner'. )moved in with him and they now have a 6 month old baby. They have had many broken nights and I appreciate DIL has had a very tough time. My husband and I retired just before baby was born. We live locally but only go to visit when we are invited. DIL's parents live much further away but they visit more often (that seems to the norm from what I've read and what friends with married sons have said). We love to see our gorgeous little grandson but we fit in and just go when asked and dont overstay our welcome. We look after him when DIL wants to sleep and take him out in his pram when she wants time to herself or to catch up on housework I have only had two 'social' outings with her and that was to the baby weighing clinic and Sainsburyys!! So to get to my point at last: My DIL knows that we keep a key to the house. My husband has done quite a bit of DIY for son and DIL when they were at work last year. I never went with him but of course he let himself in with the key. That was the arrangement and DIL was happy the house was having some TLC. When baby was born early this year she said to me....'you have a key, so there's no need to knock, just come in, its not a problem.' So that has been the drill.
She says when it is convenient to visit and then, on the day, texts us to confirm time. We have always fallen in with this and we are fine with it. We arrive on time, knock or ring, insert key, stand in hall and she will call out that she is 'in the conservatory', bedroom or wherever, and we will wait for her there. It worked well , particularly if it was raining, as we didnt have to stand outside on the doorstep while she was changing or making bottles or the 101 other things new mums have to do. So, last Tuesday, I was due to go round in the morning (husband had an appointment so didnt come), and she texts me at 4pm saying 'come now'. I went round to the house and, as usual, knocked and inserted my key. She pulled it open and just went into one saying that I dont have to use my key! I was really taken aback as she was the one who suggested it in the first place! I felt really upset by this but carried on as usual and took baby for a walk. DIL seemd Ok but I felt I was treading on eggshells. They went away for the weekend but she texted last night asking me to come round this morning. So I did and rang the bell. She opened the door, scowling and said, 'dont ring, knock'! Bl**dy hell I thought, what on earth is going on. She then said that she had told me several times not to intrude into her home!! I am staggered. Her parents have a key and seem to come and go as they please. Anyway I just walked away, I didnt know what else to do. I rung my son as I thought my dIL might be ill but he said she is very touchy but there was no need for her to be so rude and hurtful. He feels she has overstepped the mark but he doesnt want to get in an arguement with her because she will not let it drop. I think he is having trouble coping with it all. Is it post-natal depression? I have no experience of this although I have read about it. When we have seen her with her parents (who we get on just great with) she is always upbeat with them. I suggested to my son that he could talk to DIL's mother but he said he didnt think it was a good idea as DIL will 'go into one' as he put it. We have done whatever she wants, when she wants it. We dance to her tune just so we can spend time with our
grandson but it looks like she is trying to alienate me. She has texted me that I shouldnt use the key as she could be undressed when we arrive,.....but how would she be if she knows practically to the minute when we will arrive?? My son has spoken to her and he phoned and said she is concerned I will not forgive her. I tried to ring her but she wont speak to me. I dont know where this has all come from.
PLEASE, has any other mum in law had any similar experience. I need to keep everything afloat for my grandson (and my son) but I feel I have gone wrong somewhere and I am just so upset.......
Thank you for reading this

louisamay Wed 13-Aug-14 19:40:25

NO, Redheaded Mommy!!! There is no suggestion that I would ring DIL's parents to talk about her behind her back. I can't figure where you got that from - they are nice people and getting together socially with them is way overdue. The problem is that DIL has told them that we have been aggressive and bullying so I have NO IDEA what to say to them - it is the elephant in the room. Surely I have explained this in my posts????

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 19:57:52

I still think that if DiL's parents know their daughter, and know you (as they should by now if you have seen quite a lot of them) they have probably taken DiL's rantings with a pinch of salt and will be perfectly OK with you.

Stop agonising over the whole thing, accept that DiL is not in the best of moods at the moment, and get on with life. The more fuss you make about it, the more she will see you as "interfering".

As others have said, you have seen your grandson.

RedheadedMommy Wed 13-Aug-14 19:58:32

I feel I need to have a chance to clear matters up with DIL's parents but without resorting to asking them to have a quiet chat behind her or my sons back I can't see what else I can do.

There.

If you normaly meet up with them then by all means do it, but don't mention anything about your DIL.
Honestly, if my DD came to me and told me her MIL had been bullying her and i mean really bullyng her and upsetting her (I know you havn't btw) the last thing I would want to do is sit round a table with her.

Invite them out. If they decline, you know why. If they accept then you know they take their DD with a pinch of salt.

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 20:26:35

You can't "clear matters up" without raising the subject, and if you raise the subject you are going behind your son's back, or your DiL's, and you lay yourself open to more accusations of interfering.

So make up your mind to keep schtumm and continue being the non-bullying, non-interfering person that you know you are. You say that you are friendly with the other MiL. Then she knows you. As RedheadedMomma says, when you call/email to invite her, she will either accept (and you will know that she is OK with you) or she will decline (and you will know, or suspect, that she thinks it possible that you were interfering)

Whether you will be happier with it clarified is another matter, so is whether it will help your relationship with DiL.

What is relevant is thst there is something that you can do to check on your relationship with DiL's mother - you can issue an invitation and see what happens. so that is one aspect that you don't need to dither about.

louisamay Wed 13-Aug-14 20:28:10

Exactly! 'Without resorting to having a quiet chat......' I don't want to!!!!
I don't know why I should have to justify or go over every statement I've made. I've had a pretty dire time recently with DIL who has been rude and insulting to both me and Dh, two elderly people who have shown her nothing but kindness and respect. I have shed many tears over this. Please don't try and put me down. It's not helpful

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 20:42:16

I don't see anyone putting you down. I certainly am not. The nearest I can see in my post is "dither" and I did get the impression that you were undecided about whether to contact the other lady. You say you have no idea what to say to them - my advice and RedheadedMomma's was not to say anything to them.

I have no advice on your relationship with your FiL, except to be yourself.

RedheadedMommy Wed 13-Aug-14 20:56:23

Wow.

I was not putting you down!
You want to clear up matters. How?

You can't 'clear up matters' without mentioning the things she's done.
So i, aswell as other members, have said not to say anything at all.
Just leave it. You don't need to do anything apart from be a nan.
You're seeing your grandchild often, everything else will fall into place.

Tegan Wed 13-Aug-14 21:35:45

louisamay; no one is putting you down. But for people that don't know every last detail of what has happened or the personalities involved it's a case of trying to see every side of the problem. Which isn't saying that you're in the wrong but may make it easier to plan a course of action that won't make the situation worse.

Aka Wed 13-Aug-14 21:59:11

RHM is correct just leave it

Magmar Thu 14-Aug-14 15:28:11

louisamay - as you don't appear to have seen your DIL's parents socially for some time, would it be a good idea to invite them to meet up on neutral ground for a pub lunch somewhere halfway between your homes? If you can keep the chit-chat general (while obviously agreeing on how gorgeous your grandson is!), you may find that they steer the conversation round to concern about their daughter - or not! You will need to be guided by them, and if they fail to raise this as an issue, you can rest assured that they either don't wish to discuss her attitude, or they don't see any problem. Obviously if they do express some concern, you are entitled to let them know how worried you have been. Don't feel guilty about not inviting your son and DIL! If the invitation is accepted you may wish to tell your son how much you are looking forward to it, so it doesn't appear you are being secretive. What do you think?

Kate13 Thu 14-Aug-14 16:56:22

louisamay very good advice from Magmar. We're in a not so disimilar situation with our DiL. We've always been pretty good friends with her parents and we initially suggested the four of us meeting up, casually dropping it into conversation with DS that we were going to see them. We had a really nice lunch. Avoided any ongoing problems, talked a lot about DGS and agreed to repeat the arrangemrnt a few weeks later. We have gradually been able to talk about the present situation being VERY CAREFUL not to blame anyone (on either side). All four of us are falling over backwards to maintain a status quo.We've been practical and rational and although some issues are to be avoided, we enjoy sharing our DGS and take great pleasure in hearing about his antics at their house, as they do when he's at ours. Go for it. Don't nurse your wrath - it's destructive. These are for you flowers and HUGS.

Smileless2012 Sat 16-Aug-14 14:17:49

I'm pleased that you have been able to see some thing of your gc Louisamaysmile it may feel like a small step but it is one in the right direction.

Sadly for us, we have lost our DS and only gc and the resulting pain and anguish at the destruction of a once close and loving relationship, has perhaps made me a little cynical and less trusting. Bearing that in mind, my advice with regard to your d.i.l.'s parents would be to say nothing at this stage, of recent events. Even if they broach the subject and voice their own concerns regarding their d's. behavior I would be very guarded.

I agree with other posters that if you extend an invitation to her parents and they decline, you will know that they have taken on board what they've been told, but perhaps that may be more hurtful for you than you're anticipating.

You are in an extremely stressful and tenuous position at the moment and are doing so well to keep the lines of communication open. I hope that the small steps being taken at the moment become bigger ones in the futureflowers.