Gransnet forums

AIBU

To like bread and butter

(87 Posts)
felice Mon 05-Oct-15 14:57:43

I had some lovely artisan bread and farmhouse butter for my lunch today.
When a friend phoned for a chat and I told her this she was horrified, getting in a state and asking if that was all I had to eat. I reassured her that I had plenty of food but she has phoned DD, giving her an earful for 'neglecting' me and other friends saying I was sitting alone with only bread to eat.
The friends she called were here for lunch yesterday and know I have lots of food, I have called an reassured her and told her not to call anyone else.
AIBU to just enjoy really good bread and butter ?

numberplease Mon 05-Oct-15 17:56:48

Our family have always fought over the crusts off the ends of the loaf. When the kids were a lot youger, my MIL used to save hers, they didn`t like them, and bring them to us. I said to her, " For heavens sake, don`t tell anyone on the bus that you`re taking crusts to your grandchildren!"

BlackeyedSusan Mon 05-Oct-15 18:03:59

envy

lovely bread and lovely real butter...

there is a heck of a lot of differnece between supermarket value white slice bread and value spread and proper bread...

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 18:16:03

matthewkirk.hubpages.com/hub/Soda-Bread-Secrets-and-Recipe

Try this, it's easy and oh so moreish smile

His other bread recipes are equally good.

vampirequeen Mon 05-Oct-15 18:24:04

Warm crusty bread and best butter....can't go wrong.

M0nica Mon 05-Oct-15 19:00:47

A chunky slice of granary bread, malty and seedy, thickly spread with butter and just a hint of marmite, heaven.

I suspect everyone your friend rang couldn't work out what the problem was.

rosequartz Mon 05-Oct-15 19:10:39

I am so concerned about you felice that I will send you a very large pack of vitamins if you like
grin

Pittcity Mon 05-Oct-15 19:36:17

I just had a piece of cheap sliced white with flora folded over as a snack because that's all we've got in.....yummy!

MiniMouse Mon 05-Oct-15 20:04:23

This thread is agony! It just isn't possible to get enthusiastic about GF bread sad

glassortwo Mon 05-Oct-15 20:35:21

Nothing beats a slice off an uncut loaf and butter.

tiggypiro Mon 05-Oct-15 20:39:35

I love it with Bramble and Apple jam with Wensleydale cheese on top. Probably a good job I don't have the bread, jam or cheese !

downtoearth Mon 05-Oct-15 20:56:40

olive bread and butter ..yum ....butter yum .....luv butter ...
we always used to call bread and butter buppy as well ....sunshine

felice Tue 06-Oct-15 09:19:53

Doorbell rang at 18.00, a friend who lives nearby with an M&S carrier bag.
Yes friend had phoned him, very seriously he says, A, called me and told me you only had bread to eat.
Out of the bag comes, Stilton cheese, mini sausage rolls, mini pork pies, chutney and a very nice bottle of wine.
Thought we could share the rest of the bread says he laughing.
Lovely alfresco picnic then ensued.
Another friend has arranged to bring the lady in question in for lunch tomorrow, stop her worrying, although if everyone she phones turns up with a doggy bag like last night I'm not going to complain.!!!!

feetlebaum Tue 06-Oct-15 10:47:41

@glassortwo -- I use a bread-maker, and from every loaf I make I start with the crusty end, well spread with Normandy butter - that's my favourite part!

rosequartz Tue 06-Oct-15 11:17:12

This thread is agony! It just isn't possible to get enthusiastic about GF bread
MiniMouse you're right - even home-made
it's the gluten that makes it so nice sad
(time to log off grin)

shabby Tue 06-Oct-15 11:17:16

Love good bread and butter. The only problem is I could finish a whole loaf in one sitting!

rosequartz Tue 06-Oct-15 11:19:01

felice grin

I think she should invite you for lunch, not the other way round.
Then she could demonstrate to you how to eat properly.

whitewave Tue 06-Oct-15 11:23:01

Another GF eater here. Try GF bread with butter and Jam!!! More edible.

I bought a GF fruit and cinnamon loaf by mistake and that is rather moreish toasted with butter.

rosequartz Tue 06-Oct-15 11:25:43

What make whitewave?
I may try that

I had some M&S GF scotch pancakes toasted for breakfast and they weren't bad, with home-made blackcurrant jelly

heavenknows Tue 06-Oct-15 11:44:53

Both my dcs love bread and butter. They've been known to have just "bread and butter sandwiches" at lunch with some fruit or veg on the side. The first time my ds1 brought a bread and butter sandwich in his lunch to school (with some roast beef in a separate container as he likes to eat them separately), I had a comment from the teacher about whether or not it was healthy, but she backed off when I pointed out that bread and butter with beef on the side is actually the same as a beef sandwich. Should I really have had to point this out? hmm

westieyaya Tue 06-Oct-15 11:54:57

You can't beat fantastic artisan bread and farmhouse butter, with a chunk of the local dairies cheese and my homemade pickle. I gather that some of the more upmarket restaurants not only make their own breads but also make unsalted butter served with a tiny sprinkle of sea salt

whitewave Tue 06-Oct-15 11:58:04

It was Genius, which I am not honestly keen on but this wasn't bad.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 11:58:06

Which just goes to show that the butter itself tastes of nothing but fat, and it's the salt we actually enjoy.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 11:59:08

That was following on from westieyaya's post.

sootycat Tue 06-Oct-15 12:07:54

My mother called it buppy and I still want to say that to my granddaughter but feel I shouldn't!

queenie53 Tue 06-Oct-15 12:45:23

We called it buppy when we were small, boiled eggs came with buppy fingers and if the egg had been cooked too long and wasn't a 'dippy egg' any longer, we would have it 'jobbled up' in a cup with the bread and butter crumbled in and an extra dollop of butter, it was lovely! We also used to have bread and butter sprinkled with sugar! I still like to have a taste of the creamed butter and sugar when I'm making cakes - the crunch of the sugar and creaminess of the butter!