Gransnet forums

AIBU

To like bread and butter

(87 Posts)
felice Mon 05-Oct-15 14:57:43

I had some lovely artisan bread and farmhouse butter for my lunch today.
When a friend phoned for a chat and I told her this she was horrified, getting in a state and asking if that was all I had to eat. I reassured her that I had plenty of food but she has phoned DD, giving her an earful for 'neglecting' me and other friends saying I was sitting alone with only bread to eat.
The friends she called were here for lunch yesterday and know I have lots of food, I have called an reassured her and told her not to call anyone else.
AIBU to just enjoy really good bread and butter ?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 12:26:03

I have never found a

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 12:28:24

How did that happen?!

Start again.

I have never managed to buy any bread in a 'foreign' baker's that was anywhere near as good as UK bakers' bread. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 12:29:10

Even our French bread is better than the French one.

TriciaF Mon 19-Oct-15 17:11:32

Don't mention french bread - it's nothing like real english bread. After a few hours it's like concrete. A neighbour worked in a school kitchen here (France) and used to bring the bread leftovers every day, for our hens. I had to soak them first.
I make all our bread and am so glad we don't have to follow a gluten-free diet! I make white brioche type, and wholemeal with Doves Farm flour.
So I eat a lot of bread, but with lowfat marg. not butter.
It's the staff of life.

PollyEster1 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:03:09

I found my fave German rye bread in my local M&S, where they bake on site.That, plus Lurpak salted butter= food of the Gods for me.Always a red letter day when I happen to go there and they still have some. Before I knew I could get it here, I used to bring loaves back from visits to my family in the USAgrin

Co-op tiger bread rolls, like the crusty cobs of yore, are fab too.

Ana Mon 19-Oct-15 21:10:57

Lurpak salted - lovely! Low fat marg - not lovely! grin

PollyEster1 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:43:48

Agree totally, Ana re: low fat marg.Ugh! And that stuff we're not supposed to believe is not butter - who are they kidding? shock

Anyway,can anyone explain to me what 'best' butter is? Both my mother and grandmother used to use that phrase and I've always wondered...

TriciaF Tue 20-Oct-15 10:08:00

Lowfat marg - I agree it's nothing like butter. But I was told not to eat butter after my heart attack - I think they've changed their view about butter now.
My Auntie Pat, a farmer's wife , used to make butter from the cream from their own cows. She had a machine called a separator, you put the milk in and it separates the cream from the buttermilk. Then she worked the butter churn by hand.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Oct-15 10:16:58

Benecol light has a delicious flavour. Some butters just taste like - fat.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Oct-15 10:18:53

When you think what is in butter - cream from milk, it wouldn't have any flavour without the salt. It's the salt we like.

TriciaF Tue 20-Oct-15 16:47:55

Yes, she used to put the salt in at the end.