Gransnet forums

AIBU

Personal cleanliness

(167 Posts)
NanKate Tue 06-Oct-15 07:35:57

On Sunday we went to a NT property for a lovely walk through the grounds to look at the trees beginning to turn, it was wonderful.

We stopped at the cafe for coffee and cake. The young man serving us was very pleasant and polite but when I looked down I could see he had dirty finger nails. It made me feel sick when he touched the cup. I must be fair he looked clean and had clean hands, but those nails yuk !

I filled in the comment form and handed it in before I left. No doubt I will get the same sort of washy washy reply from the NT as I did last time I made a complaint.

Indinana Thu 08-Oct-15 22:13:06

rosequartz you make a very good point about the roaming cats. My DD lives in an area we call 'Cat City', there are so many of them, and they all seem to use her front garden as their toilet. We're always being warned about picking up after our dogs, with threats of fines if we don't, but no-one in authority says a damn thing about letting your cats out to foul other people's property. I suppose, just because they tend to do their business on private land rather than in public parks and pavements, it doesn't matter. But it does matter to the people whose gardens are stinking because of their neighbours' cats angry

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 23:37:34

Apparently dogs must be kept under control but cats are free to roam.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 09:28:51

The pharmacist (chemist? confused) who gave us our flu jabs yesterday had a cold. And last time I had an eye test in Tesco the fitting-the-glasses lady had a raging cold. I caught that one. Sigh. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 09:29:12

There's trouble everywhere out there. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 09:29:23

wink

gammon Fri 09-Oct-15 09:34:10

Agree with you on that Indinana. And beside the poo, I get really annoyed when they dig up my new planted flowers too. Have used that cat away sprinkle stuff but it doesn't seem to work.

NanKate Sat 10-Oct-15 22:36:15

Just received a letter from the NT thanking me for pointing out that one of their staff had dirty nails. They said the Catering Manager would be asked to speak to all the staff in the cafe about personal cleanliness.

It will be a bit like Downton Abbey when all the staff stand outside the front entrance and they will present their nails for inspection.

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't ask me to do it. grin

janerowena Sat 10-Oct-15 23:12:05

I had to see a Dr last week for more antibiotics, and he suddenly caught sight of his own dirty nails, and wondered how they got like that as he had scrubbed them. I said, 'Thank heavens I'm not here for an internal then' and he looked quite shocked. grin

rosequartz Sat 10-Oct-15 23:28:19

I read that some branches of Costa Coffee have very dirty kitchens (with unwanted visitors) and that one branch in London had no hot water for staff to wash their hands after using the toilet.

I must say that the staff at the NT café we visited yesterday looked very clean and used tongs to handle the food.

We had a lovely meal at a local restaurant with a reputation for good food, (and the food was good) then later saw the Council's hygiene reports. 1* out of 5* for hygiene and cleanliness! hmm

Anya Sun 11-Oct-15 08:59:41

Blimey a 1 star means they need to make urgent and major changes to their hygiene standards. Yuk!

Nanevon Mon 12-Oct-15 09:37:09

Thanks Elegran, I didn't know there was a list of acronyms. Very useful.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 09:39:25

I would never eat anywhere with less than 5 Scores on the Doors. There is a pub in Abergavenny with only 1 (!) - and it was always packed out at lunchtimes. Weird!

Stansgran Mon 12-Oct-15 09:45:28

Where you get your herd immunity from.

Anya Mon 12-Oct-15 16:06:39

Or typhoid outbreaks grin

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 17:41:29

There is a pub in Abergavenny with only 1 (!) - and it was always packed out at lunchtimes.
Ooh, which one?

There must be a few mucky pubs around here then

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 17:48:25

Have just looked online: most of the places we go to around here have a 5, our favourite garden centre only has 3 and one place owned by someone famous where we take the children only has a 1! Although there are lots of notices around telling us to wash our hands after we have touched the animals.
The food is lovely! shock.

As DM said, we eat a peck of dirt before we die

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 17:52:43

Blimey a 1 star means they need to make urgent and major changes to their hygiene standards. Yuk!

I have just checked and they now have a 4 rating - so obviously got disinfecting and scrubbing!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 17:53:15

rosequarz DH says it was actually in Monmouth. Not Aber. The Robin Hood.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 17:59:59

yes. It was the Robin Hood, Monmouth. Link here

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 18:00:53

Glad we just ate fish and chips sitting by the river! grin

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 18:03:12

rosequarz DH says it was actually in Monmouth. Not Aber. The Robin Hood. aargh!

Actually, haven't been in that one for years - and I'm not going in again
Although the Indian hasn't got a great rating either!
The 1 star which now has a 4 star is just outside Monmouth too ........

I am eating at home in my own kitchen (just don't look in the oven).

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 18:05:20

Did the ducks come and pinch your fish and chips?

I gave DGD2 a piece of bread to throw to those blasted ducks, she threw it so enthusiastically she nearly went hurtling down the bank into the river ..... just managed to grab her dress. shock

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 18:07:41

I see that HMP Usk has a 5 star rating!
Maybe we'll try there next time.

TriciaF Mon 12-Oct-15 18:21:14

Oh dear I think I must be in a minority of one on this.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 18:28:20

rq No. It's the seagulls I'm more wary of. But they seemed well behaved. I liked the ducks. smile