Gransnet forums

AIBU

Online grocery shopping

(55 Posts)
lonniefrances Fri 30-Oct-15 08:19:32

AIBU to be cross at receiving my Asda
grocery delivery last night at 10.30? I had given up and gone to bed! My slot was supposed to be 7 til 9. The driver was very helpful and said he just had too many drops to make and of course they take longer with people opting not to pay for bags.I did phone the help number to be informed the mailbox was full and no message could be left.

loopylou Fri 30-Oct-15 08:26:15

I wouldn't have been at all impressed either! It makes booking a slot pointless doesn't it?

Indinana Fri 30-Oct-15 09:04:36

I would have been very cross. The bag charge is a real issue when it comes to deliveries and must be so frustrating for the delivery drivers, who are now probably working much longer hours - and likely with no extra pay. It seems ridiculous to me to think of all the items having to be taken out of the bags/plastic boxes and transferred to the customer's own bags at the door. What a kerfuffle.

whitewave Fri 30-Oct-15 09:06:59

I was talking to my delivery man this week and the no bags policy has made a big difference to their rounds. Hopefully the stores will get it sorted, especially if they get criticism.

Pittcity Fri 30-Oct-15 09:19:58

I had a problem like this with Tesco who didn't turn up and were hard to contact. I finally managed to cancel the order on the phone. To my surprise it turned up next morning. I turned the driver away, got a refund but no explanation or apology.

I now use Sainsburys who are excellent. They ring if they are going to be 5 minutes early! The driver brings the boxes into my kitchen and unloads onto the worktop.Doesn't take much longer than dropping off bags.

lonniefrances Fri 30-Oct-15 10:01:00

I think Pittcity I will give Sainsburys a try for my next order.Used to use Tesco but got some truly bizarre substitutes.

Luckygirl Fri 30-Oct-15 10:08:34

I have used Tesco for years and never had a moment's trouble. Very occasionally there is a mistake, but nothing that cannot be rectified easily.

Asda should not be delivering at 10.30 pm - that is crazy. I know if our Tesco delivery has been a bit late (very rare) the delivery man has refunded us on some item as a gesture of goodwill.

Charleygirl Fri 30-Oct-15 10:13:45

lonniefrances I do on line shopping with Sainsburys and sometimes what I receive are bizarre. Once I ordered cat litter tray linings and I received ladies panty liners. My cat was not impressed.

A few weeks ago I ordered around 23 items but only 11 turned up. I went ballistic, not with the driver but customer services. They offered me £10 but in the end offered me £15 to get rid of me.

Yesterday too many items with short dates- ie a loaf of bread to be used by tomorrow.

The drivers are excellent- all without exception are very helpful and I frequently get a call asking if they can deliver eg 20 minutes early.

Since the panty liner episode I do not do substitutes, thankfully, because yesterday they had run out of milk so heaven knows what the substitute would have been- a strawberry smoothie?

I am going to give Morrisons a go, I have had enough of Sainsburys.

Pittcity Fri 30-Oct-15 10:47:01

I never do substitutes and have only ever been one item short. Our delivery does come from our local superstore, not a warehouse, which is one of Sainsburys biggest stores so I guess they have more stock. It seems it is not the brand but how the delivery service is run in each area that dictates the service received.

MiniMouse Fri 30-Oct-15 10:56:21

I've just abandoned Sainsbury's because I'm fed up with receiving very short life products.

If you use Ocado, they refund 5p for every plastic bag that you return to them - from any shop.

harrigran Fri 30-Oct-15 12:05:27

I never shop online for groceries, you are at the mercy of someone who does not give a fig about the condition of fruit and vegetables. I shop once a week so I require longer dates on chilled meals, I don't want to receive a pile of use by today dates.
Why don't the supermarkets just pack food in recycled brown paper bags ? For heaven's sake it is not rocket science angry

Luckygirl Fri 30-Oct-15 12:11:14

On the Tesco website you can leave a message about each item and my standard message is "Long eat by date please" - they always honour that; and on the rare occasion when they cannot I am offered the option to send it back, and if I do so I get a refund.

I have only ever had one strange substitution and that was a Chivers jelly in place of a jar of redcurrant jelly!

stillhere Fri 30-Oct-15 13:18:28

I have found Tesco to be really good, and only occasionally do I get a shorter use-by date than I would have liked.

My delivery man this week was telling me a couple of the funny stories he had heard from other drivers. He said that one woman met her driver at the door with a huge blanket. He had to unload all her shopping onto it, then she pulled it along her wooden floors to her kitchen!
The other one that tickled them was a woman who left a wheelbarrow at the entrance to her drive. She said she didn't want them turning around in her drive anymore, especially since she wouldn't be having bags, so to please place all her shopping neatly in her wheelbarrow.

I bet they have some tales to tell!

numberplease Fri 30-Oct-15 17:31:56

I have Asda, it doesn`t take much longer than before to bring te shopping in out of their trays, just pick up few items at a time and bring them onto the kitchen worktop. They usually ring if they`re going to be extra early or late.

loopylou Fri 30-Oct-15 17:42:58

I have no complaints with Tesco, the lovely delivery man carries the unbagged shopping into my kitchen for me. They're always very cheerful and helpful.

I did laugh at a post on Mumsnet; someone had shopped online and asked for Minion sweets for Hallowe'en but they were substituted with condoms thlgrin

Not quite what she or small children might expect!

Deecrepid Sat 31-Oct-15 09:13:16

I have used Ocado for years, they are outstanding. The whole process is automated (even the delivery drivers are monitored, location and delivery timing) so that if your order is going to be late you are kept informed. This rarely happens, items are generally delivered with good dates, never had any problems with vegetables/fruit. An excellent company which saves me a lot of hassle. I hate shopping with a passion.

mumofmadboys Sat 31-Oct-15 09:15:54

I use Sainsburys and have always found them excellent. Great time keeping. One hour long slots. Do occasionally phone to see if they can come a few minutes early.Drivers always helpful and cheerful.

GrandmaH Sat 31-Oct-15 10:24:33

I tried shopping online but I just can't do it. I forget things & I like to make sure I have long sell by dates plus veg & fruit are fresh. I went into a Morrisons last week- not where I usually shop but I only wanted a red pepper & I was walking past. Out of a huge box of peppers I could not find a single one that was firm & not squashy. I would have got one of those if I'd been shopping online. I do like to squeeze my veg!
I don't see why supermarkets try & push online shopping as I'm sure we all spend slightly more if we shop in store & we drive it home ourselves so no driver to pay. I am not an impulse shopper but I often see something that gives me an idea for a meal- lovely oxtail on butchery at Sainsburys this week is an example when I was planning ordinary beef casserole. Not a good example as this was a cheaper option but I do always look at the 'offers' & then work out if they are actually cheaper by comparing with on shelf labels- Sainsburys are very good for this as they have per 100 g comparisons on most things.
I do see if is useful if you do not drive or at work 5 days a week though.

Luckygirl Sat 31-Oct-15 10:47:12

Or live in the back of beyond!

Charleygirl Sat 31-Oct-15 11:03:08

Or incapacitated

Pittcity Sat 31-Oct-15 12:45:16

It is very useful if you are going away as you can shop weeks in advance and have a delivery on your return.
I am waiting for Christmas slots to become available too as they mean you don't need to brave the crush for your everyday groceries.
I usually pop to my local co op for fruit and veg as I like to squeeze and I get meal inspiration from their reduced section. I use my delivery for things like loo roll, orange squash etc, things that I buy over and over.

Deecrepid Sat 31-Oct-15 13:06:12

I am surprised that people spend more online. I find it controls my spending ( no impulse buys) Whilst doing my order I take my iPad into the kitchen and can check my exact stocks and requirements. It would cost me more in fuel than the delivery costs.
The thought of the tedium of driving to the shop, loading shopping into the trolley, onto the checkout, into the trolley, into the car, into the house seems a complete waste of precious time. I just click and 24hrs later it is in my kitchen.

jimorourke Sat 31-Oct-15 13:31:01

I wondered how long it would take for the bagless deliveries to create huge delays and it already has slowed the delivery system down by hours.

We still use bags but in fairness to Morrisons if the delivery man finds bags that are half full, he will ensure all bags are filled up. He then deducts the charge for bags we have not used and we reuse the ones we get for lots of other purposes around the home. Those bags are worth 5p compared to the ultra thin bags sold at our local bakery chain and in other shops.

Teetime Sat 31-Oct-15 14:23:44

I have Waitrose delivery (waiting for it now) weekly and I have chosen the no bag option but sometimes bungs a few things in bags e keeps in the cab!.

Teetime Sat 31-Oct-15 14:24:40

Xmas slots are already available on Waitrose but going fast.