Gransnet forums

AIBU

to not want to contribute to honeymoon?

(106 Posts)
shiraz Thu 17-Mar-16 11:45:20

We have been asked to a wedding in the summer. The invites have just arrived and in it there's a request for cash (with bank transfer details) to go towards the couple's honeymoon. I feel odd about this. I have so many lovely things still from my wedding and whenever I look at them I think fondly about the people who gave them to me. Why has this changed? I know I'm probably being unreasonable but it makes me sad. #disgruntled

pollyperkins Thu 17-Mar-16 18:42:29

I agree - we recently went to a wedding where the couple had beenliving together and had two children and they asked for money for the honeymoon. Everyone including us put envelopes with money in on a plate on a table at the reception and I noticed some were slipping off onto the floor. We never had a thank you letter so don't know if they even received our contribution! We found out later that the brides parents went on the honeymoon too to help with the children and we did feel it was a bit much to fund an expensive holiday for these people we did not even know!

Neversaydie Thu 17-Mar-16 20:04:02

I used to be really po- faced about this (though haven't been to a wedding in ages)but I can see that if you have set up home together years before you probably don't need /want much by way of household goods .We had a 'thank you but we don't need'list (both had our own houses) and in fact were given mostly money-but we did spend it on specific things and told people what they were when we did our 'thank yous'.
But as one who at age 32 (own house etc ) had only a three days in the Lake District (really posh hotel and we had a lovely time)because that's all we could afford I find it odd that people feel they can ask other people to pay for some exotic destination. But DCs generation see it as perfectly normal .
The oddest thing is when people (often not in the first flush of youth)who have (both )been married before ,are not exactly short of money ,have a full blown wedding and then ask for money ,for whatever oyrpise.Often with a coy poem and, at one wedding I went to, with wishing well in the corner .Boak . I think that is really crass and they would be better to ask for a charitable donation to celebrate their union .

Elegran Thu 17-Mar-16 20:27:20

I always though that a honeymoon was provided by the groom for his bride so that he could get her well away from her family and begin their intimate life together in privacy? In these days of equality, I can understand the bride contributing to it, but not the friends and extended family of both of them.

pollyperkins Thu 17-Mar-16 20:33:16

Well when we got married (I am speaking for my generation in general I think) we didn't live together and so we rushed off to the honeymoon at the first opportunity so we could (ahem) be alone together at last. We left the reception after th meal in a 'going away outfit' and went to some modest location (a week in Minehead in the rain in our case) while the guests all went to the bride's mum's usually to view the wedding presents which were laid out on a table with gift tags so you could see who had given what! Very different to today's weddings!
I don't mind wedding lists at all, or giving money it's paying for the exotic honeymoon which annoys me a bit.

grannylyn65 Thu 17-Mar-16 20:39:13

Coolgran 11 canteens of cutlery??
No ebay them days ! ?

loopylou Thu 17-Mar-16 20:41:32

We were invited to a wedding and the invitation was accompanied by a request for 'a suggested donation of £100 per couple' towards the honeymoon (4 weeks touring Australia!)
I was highly unimpressed to put it mildly!

The groom's mother said she was very uncomfortable and embarrassed with this request and had told her son so, to no avail.

We certainly couldn't afford that much so gave £50, but I did resent doing so.

Eloethan Thu 17-Mar-16 20:48:01

I also think that too much money is spent on weddings and honeymoons. However, I wouldn't let my personal view on the matter influence what or how much I contributed towards a present.

If the couple in question would like money towards a honeymoon, I don't see what's wrong with that. It's no more mercenary than directing people towards a wedding list. And a wonderful (hopefully) holiday will stay in the memory for ever and be every bit as valuable as a gift for the home.

I don't think people who have been married before or who have been in a relationship for a long time should be criticised for not asking for charity donations.

In my view, it's probably better not to attend a wedding than to do so with resentful feelings.

Alea Thu 17-Mar-16 20:48:46

I was quietly proud of DD and SIL to be who said in their wedding invitations that they hoped for their family's and friends' PRESENCE not "presents".

thatbags Thu 17-Mar-16 21:45:12

Exactly. I've no problem with a celebration of commitment with friends and family. I do have a problem with mercenariness. I think asking for money for a honeymoon is in bad taste. I'd go without a honeymoon rather than do that.

Deedaa Thu 17-Mar-16 21:47:12

I think actually asking for a specific amount of money is the height of rudeness. For many people just travelling to the wedding is probably as much as they can comfortably afford.

When we got married in 1970 we managed a week in Devon and my dad had to come and rescue us when our car broke down.

As far as I can remember DD and SiL had a couple of days with us after the wedding (which was done very much on the cheap) In spite of this they have been married for 19 years.

annsixty Thu 17-Mar-16 22:17:18

We were invited to wedding a few years ago now which would have meant 2 nights in a hotel and petrol for a 600 mile round trip. We had to say no as with a present and clothes etc it would have cost the equivalent of a short holiday. As if that wasn't enough my D and her H were invited just to the evening"do", again 1night in a hotel,fuel and asking someone to have their DC for 2days and 1 night and all for about 4 hours. We both sent presents but it was a bad feeling, almost as if they knew we wouldn't go.

Eloethan Thu 17-Mar-16 23:36:12

I think it is extremely bad form for "suggestions" to be made as to how much money should be donated. I think it should be left to the person giving the gift to decide how much they wish, and can afford, to give.

marionk Fri 18-Mar-16 09:20:41

Nothing like a wedding to ruffle feathers is there! If you don't like weddings politely decline, if you think you have been invited for the 'wrong' reason ditto, if you don't like the idea of donating to their honeymoon memories ditto. I really feel sorry for people who want to share this special occasion with their family and friends just to be met with it not pleasing other people - damned if you do and damned if you don't!

dizzygran Fri 18-Mar-16 09:32:47

Like so many others I had (and still have in the garage) a lot of Pyrex when we married many years ago. Although I love the glass Pyrex rolling pin which is still going strong. There were lots of duplications and as we were buying our home we could have done with the cash. I do not mind one bit giving money to young couples for them to choose something for themselves or put the money towards their honeymoons. Saves shopping and wrapping!! My own dd and sil had been together for a number of years before they married and they asked for money to go to their chosen charity (or to the guests own choice of charity). Enjoy the weddings without worrying whether the presents are suitable.

TerriBull Fri 18-Mar-16 09:34:32

I have several thoughts on this, one that there is too much hoo ha surrounding weddings, particularly now. It seems a shame to me that weddings can't be low key affairs, a celebration with family and close friends without spending the earth. I find the idea of costly stag and hen dos, where the invitee, who possibly only knows one person on the proposed activity/ies, the bride or groom, is then expected to fork out a lot of money for that day/week-end/week completely over the top and I gather some people are now coming round to that way of thinking, but clearly not all. However, we are all different. I suppose asking for a contribution to the honeymoon isn't that far removed from being asked to go to John Lewis say and select something off a list, which seems to be the norm. these days. I can see why people do that if they have been living together for a while and have quite a few bits and pieces. Yes it is a bit blatant, but sometimes, if a sumptuous spread is being laid on (another waste of money imo) I wouldn't really like to go empty handed. That's exactly what my son did though, because he said he felt coerced into to going to a week-end stag do, which cleared him out financially, and therefore didn't have enough for a wedding present, his rationale was they can't have it both ways, particularly as he didn't want to go to the stag do anyway. He was very early 20s at the time, so didn't really understand the protocol involved, probably still doesn't grin

All in all I tend to veer towards a lot of the comments here, it's a cheek really, but I would probably go along with it.

Wilks Fri 18-Mar-16 09:35:24

My niece suggested people might like to contribute to their honeymoon in Japan, but only to spare some people from having to agonise over what to give. I had an idea to commission a fabric picture done by a friend, to commemorate their day. I did have misgivings but luckily, they were delighted with it.

ajanela Fri 18-Mar-16 09:37:36

I find the asking for money difficult and why not ask for minimum donation, almost like selling tickets to the event then we won't worry about if we have given enough. Sounds awful I know but what ever they say the money is for, I see it as making a contribution to the wedding. They have invited us so increasing their costs and if they hadn't invited us that money could have gone to a honeymoon or something else for them. We hopefully will all have a memorable and enjoyable day which we will all remember. Obviously some exceptions like grandparents and close family but hopefully they will buy a present.

As you say many of the cheaper weddings are far more enjoyable and vicars should make rules, the marriage is the important thing.

Maybe on those lines more people would get married earlier in their relationship and not be divorced before the wedding is paid for.

bethanmp23 Fri 18-Mar-16 09:43:11

A word of warning - a young relative was married last year. He asked for contributions towards the honeymoon and many people brought cards to the wedding with money in them.

The hotel holding the reception offered a special "Wedding Card Gilded Post Box" in their foyer for these cards, and at some point during the reception the whole lot got stolen.

Very very upsetting for the bride and groom and those who had left cash for them in the cards. [Luckily I had sent a card with a cheque ahead of the event.]

Needless to say the hotel is insisting it is not liable nor insured for that theft. The legal battle continues...

Lilyflower Fri 18-Mar-16 09:49:57

Society has changed since a woman could not work and, in middle and upper class households, was given a dowry as a contribution towards her keep and that of her children and also since it was socially forbidden for a man and woman to live together outside wedlock.

It is now much more common for both parties to be working, for them to live together first and to prioritise securing accommodation whether rented or mortgaged over a wedding celebration. They are often much older when marrying and are now often nearer 30 than 20 as young couples were, hitherto.

Thus, the wedding is not now a social and economic necessity but a celebration of a commitment between two, equal partners. That the bride and groom will probably be more economically independent means that they are likelier to be paying for the wedding themselves rather than, in older times, the nuptials being funded by the bride's father.

In these circumstances they will want to call the shots themselves. They are hosting an event which will scarcely cost less than £100 per person and will, additionally, be giving their guests a memorable day. It is usually the case nowadays that the young couple, having lived together, already own all the household goods they need so traditional 'bottom drawer' presents are not required. In this case it is not too unreasonable, I think, for them to ask for a 'house fund' or a honeymoon contribution'.

For young people to make a commitment to family life, society and a secure environment for any children born into the marriage is, surely, in this age of 'because I'm worth it' narcissism, a deed worth celebrating in a spirit of goodwill.

Nevertheless, the wedding day is just a party. It is the marriage that counts in the long run.

Everthankful Fri 18-Mar-16 09:53:07

I'm still coming to grips with the cheek giving out wedding gift lists. Gifts should be gratefully received no matter what they are or who they are from. Who has the nerve to ask for a fridge freezer, an automatic washer or an expensive dinner service as a gift?! gIfts are just that, something chosen specifically for the recipient with care, love and attention and should be received in good grace as such, even if it is duplicated by others. I'm afraid if I was asked for a donation for a honeymoon, I would simply decline the invitation

Verycherry Fri 18-Mar-16 10:09:54

I would take it as a request. If you don't want to contribute to a honeymoon/holiday , it's your choice. Go with what you feel. When money was requested for my cousins wedding, I was reluctant as the couple weren't very good with money. I gave babysitting vouchers for their newborn instead. Glad in the end, as they spent the money on a games console and then separated three years later. But i got to babysit a lovely baby. Another couple, didn't want anything as they were well established, so I gave them a quality backgammon set, with instructions on how to play. They treasure it and spend quality time playing quite often.
Go with your instinct.

inishowen Fri 18-Mar-16 10:10:27

I got 6 canteens of cutlery in 1973! I think it's really cheeky asking for cash for a honeymoon. I would not go to the wedding!

Seasidenana Fri 18-Mar-16 10:18:18

Personally, I don't have any problem with giving a small donation to the couples honeymoon if that's what they want. I hate receiving unwanted gifts myself, so quite understand why couples don't want piles of "stuff" arriving. In times gone by couples needed basic things to start a home, but even then they used to end up with unwanted and sometimes hideous items.

I agree with another poster, there is always the option to decline the invitation if you object so strongly to the couples lifestyle and choices.

Personally I would only attend a wedding if it was a couple I know well and love dearly. In these circumstances I would be more than happy to give money in lieu of a present to anything they like.

My son married 3 years ago for the second time, and they already had 2 kids between them. They have very little money. The brides brother bought them a honeymoon on the Norfolk Broads as a present and the rest of us gave money so they could have some spending money. Any surplus was used as they wished. They had no need of "stuff" and certainly don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, but needed a bit of help to start married life a second time. Many people are left in debt and poverty after a divorce.

Parsleywin Fri 18-Mar-16 10:31:47

A friend's daughter is marrying shortly. The couple are in their late 20s and living together in a rented, furnished one bed flat. They have no immediate prospect of being able to buy a property where they live. They have no space to store traditional wedding gifts to use at some unspecified time - possibly years - in the future, and already have enough towels, pans, cutlery etc for daily use. They are asking for honeymoon donations, aware that it is controversial but feeling that they don't really have an alternative. In their situation, is there one?

Everthankful Fri 18-Mar-16 10:41:09

Surely it's the thought behind the gift that matters, even if they end up with three of the same. I would hate to be invited to make up the numbers so that the couple would hopefully get enough money to fund the spends on an exotic holiday