Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect peace in the Library

(54 Posts)
NanSue Tue 06-Sep-16 18:02:07

AIBU. I look after my 3 year old DGD 4 days a week She is full on, noisy and hectic, bless her. It's a long day on a Tuesday so I also collect 9 year old DGS from school and I have to leave quite early to park. So, left DGD with DH and called into the Library near the school for 15 minutes for a bit of much appreciated quiet time. I was just browsing when, I heard a man, sat at at a table with his lap top and talking on his phone, not really a problem. However he got louder and louder and it became obvious he was talking to an estate agent, berating them for not keeping him informed etc., etc., Meanwhile, one of the librarians was putting returned books on the shelves near me, so I said "Oooh nothing like a nice quiet afternoon in the library is there?" She just laughed and said "ha ha, he thinks it's his office!" The last thing I heard him shout before I walked out was "Are you taking the piss! He was actually facing a wall and was oblivious to the stares from onlookers, had he been facing me I would have given him a "look" or put my finger to my lips in a sshhh kind of way. I have been a bit grumpy today due to lack of sleep and a bit of pain. BUT! AIBU to think that he could have stepped outside to have this kind of shouty conversation? Phew..rant over.

Linsco56 Tue 06-Sep-16 18:33:32

Tired and grumpy here too! but I don't think you're being unreasonable. However, libraries are no longer quiet places. Our local library hosts mother and toddler groups, seniors groups, I.T. skills improvement groups etc etc.
These groups are all facilitated in the open plan lending library area, and it's far from quiet.

Liz46 Tue 06-Sep-16 18:41:52

Our knitting group meets in the library and we all chat. People do wander over to see what we are making. We have raised thousands of pounds for charity.

NanSue Tue 06-Sep-16 18:50:51

I know many groups are held in libraries now and quite rightly so. Even more reason I think, that this type of telephone conversation should be held elsewhere. It's just rude IMO.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Sep-16 18:52:19

The librarian should have said something to him.

kittylester Tue 06-Sep-16 19:03:07

You are being unreasonable!! Libraries are not hush hush places any more. We encourage users of our Library to feel comfortable and see the library as a welcoming place!

aggie Tue 06-Sep-16 19:13:10

Well I wouldn't feel comfortable and welcomed if some eejit was blasting into his phone !Totally out of order in my book ( oo did you see what I did there smile )

NanSue Tue 06-Sep-16 19:13:31

I'm very happy that libraries are used for group meetings.
How would this particular incident make a library user feel comfortable and welcomed?

NanSue Tue 06-Sep-16 19:14:59

Aggie grin

Christinefrance Tue 06-Sep-16 19:43:09

I agree that's it's good for libraries to be more of a community hub and encourage groups to meet there. However the behaviour of this man I feel was extremely rude and unnecessary. Why do people feel it's ok to inflict their personal business on others in inappropriate places.

cornergran Tue 06-Sep-16 20:10:11

For me this type of shouty conversation is inappropriate in any public space, I really don't want to hear, particularly when I am trying to concentrate on choosing a book or indeed anything else.

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Sep-16 20:11:58

Of course YANBU. Yes, the days of hushing and whispering have gone, though it's good to see them still alive and well in the study section of our library. But you can surely expect basic manners and consideration for others, and that doesn't usually include bellowing obscenities!

Pollengran Tue 06-Sep-16 20:35:00

No, YANBU. Libraries are busy community places these days, but there should be a line drawn when it comes to loud, sweary, inconsiderate wazzocks!

I wish I had the nerve to tell idiots like that to pipe down, but I don't angry.

rosesarered Tue 06-Sep-16 20:42:54

The librarian in charge should have had a quiet word with him to 'keep it down please'!

Witzend Wed 07-Sep-16 06:37:39

I worked for many years in a little local library, and in that case I think one of us would have had a quiet word.

What was harder to deal with was the odd parent who thought it was all right to let their young children charge around the library screaming (I do mean screaming) and bashing into people who were trying to choose books. If we ever said anything, however nicely, and the parent complained that we weren't 'child friendly' we would get it in the neck from higher management. Staff were invariably wrong in such cases.
Luckily parents like this were few and far between and most of the children were very well behaved.

kittylester Wed 07-Sep-16 06:41:29

I agree someone should have said something but be grateful that people use your library for anything and that you have a library to use.

Maggiemaybe Wed 07-Sep-16 11:20:48

Agreed that we should be grateful these days if we've still got a local library. But gratitude for having a loudmouth eejit sharing it with you might be stretching the old adage of being thankful for small mercies a bit thin smile

DaphneBroon Wed 07-Sep-16 12:30:45

There's a difference though between e.g.children listening to story time in the children's library, reasonable quiet discussion (I once ear wigged on a sort of student mentoring session) and the inconsiderate use of FREE office space by a loudmouth.
It's not a case of Sshh, is it, if he had tried the same thing in his local Starbucks/Pret/ Costa I think he would find someone said something.

notanan Wed 07-Sep-16 12:52:58

I don't think of libraries as quiet places at all

I remember when they used to be, but they're not now so I don't expect it

I expect people to be on the phone to housing/benefits/estate agents because the library is the only place a lot of people can bid for housing or check online etc. Language should be watched though.

Some libraries have quiet floors or pods, but my local library has cooking demonstrations and all sorts going on on the main floors

NanSue Wed 07-Sep-16 14:30:13

I really don't notice the chat and laughter of groups, or children chattering whilst choosing books and colouring. People on line aren't generally shouting on phones. I use the local library often with DGC who aren't the quietest and have at times told them to pipe down but this type of LOUD conversation in a library is not necessary. (IMHO)

Lynnieg Wed 07-Sep-16 14:33:16

Goodness, you should see academic libraries now! They make public libraries look like havens of peace and quiet. Open 24/7, food and drink allowed. Takeaways ordered at night time when we've all gone home..sad

notanan Wed 07-Sep-16 15:21:25

while I agree NanSue that it's rude to shout on the phone while around people (not that it's ever really necessary), the fact that it happened in a library is irrelevant to me.

It would be rude to be obnoxious on the phone anywhere.

But not any more so in a library than anywhere else.

p.s. I <3 the new academic libraries, you don't have to pack up and decamp every time you need a caffine hit to keep going grin

kittylester Wed 07-Sep-16 18:19:49

You can get a caffeine hit in our village library - it helps keep it open! brew

dorsetpennt Thu 08-Sep-16 09:18:15

I belong to our Craft Group that meets in our library's meeting room. As well as being a book reading member of course. It's a small library so the children's section is just to one side. On Thursdays and Saturdays a baby sing song takes place. I quite enjoy humming ' the wheels on the bus; as I browse the shelves. However, I've heard a few mutterings from the seen and not heard brigade . Libraries are more then just books these days. In order that yours stays open the librarians has to keep the numbers up. This is why there are so many other activities. Our head librarian would have asked this chap to keep his noise down. For that matter I would have asked him .

lizzypopbottle Thu 08-Sep-16 09:23:30

If that guy is running a business and using the library, he's getting away with not needing to pay for premises and getting free WiFi! A lot of local authorities have stopped personal trainers running boot camps and other fitness groups in public parks for the same reason.