Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect peace in the Library

(55 Posts)
NanSue Tue 06-Sep-16 18:02:07

AIBU. I look after my 3 year old DGD 4 days a week She is full on, noisy and hectic, bless her. It's a long day on a Tuesday so I also collect 9 year old DGS from school and I have to leave quite early to park. So, left DGD with DH and called into the Library near the school for 15 minutes for a bit of much appreciated quiet time. I was just browsing when, I heard a man, sat at at a table with his lap top and talking on his phone, not really a problem. However he got louder and louder and it became obvious he was talking to an estate agent, berating them for not keeping him informed etc., etc., Meanwhile, one of the librarians was putting returned books on the shelves near me, so I said "Oooh nothing like a nice quiet afternoon in the library is there?" She just laughed and said "ha ha, he thinks it's his office!" The last thing I heard him shout before I walked out was "Are you taking the piss! He was actually facing a wall and was oblivious to the stares from onlookers, had he been facing me I would have given him a "look" or put my finger to my lips in a sshhh kind of way. I have been a bit grumpy today due to lack of sleep and a bit of pain. BUT! AIBU to think that he could have stepped outside to have this kind of shouty conversation? Phew..rant over.

Craftycat Thu 08-Sep-16 09:38:47

He was out of order but I do love going into our child friendly library when they have Rhyme Time on for the toddlers. I have heard people complaining about it though. If it gets the young ones thinking the library is a great place to go then I am all for it.
My GC love going there. They run craft sessions for children too for a very modest cost. Wonderful for the little ones.

GrandmaMoira Thu 08-Sep-16 11:05:47

I used to go to the library for peace and quiet but that is not what modern libraries are about. There are lots of computers, far less books, kids running about, people studying and chatting having tutorials and it's just a community meeting place, not a place to read.

kittylester Thu 08-Sep-16 11:11:15

He would have to have been desperate to use our Library for its wifi access as it keeps dropping out. He would be better sitting on one of the benches outside and using 4G grin

Juggernaut Thu 08-Sep-16 12:45:31

Having been a librarian for almost forty years, in both public and academic libraries I despair at the way some people are now behaving when visiting.
I've been through all the library incarnations, from the 'shush' time, which was peaceful but could seem a bit intimidating to people, to the way it was when I finally reached breaking point and took early retirement, more of a playground/office space/coffee shop!
I am absolutely in favour of libraries being friendlier more accessible places offering a wide range of services and activities, it's the only way for them to survive in these days of electronic everything.
However, I have a huge problem with people using the library as their personal work space.
When I was still working we had one gentleman who visited the library every day, arriving at 9-10 and staying until 4-30. This wouldn't have been a problem if he hadn't behaved as though he owned the place and the staff were there to attend to him, and only him!
We served coffee/tea etc, which wasn't a problem, but I lost the plot with this particular person when he clicked his fingers at me, and shouted, "Latte, and make it snappy"!
Oh, he got snappy alright, he was told in no uncertain terms to remove himself, his laptop and his attitude from the premises and informed that he was no longer welcome to use the facilities.
He slunk out, with his tail between his legs, but someone (probably him, but I don't know for sure) reported me to the 'powers that be' and I received an 'official reprimand'.
So, that evening I went home and composed my letter of resignation, fully intending to send it into headquarters the next day. However, before I got the chance, we received an e-mail offering all senior staff over a certain age the opportunity to apply for early retirement.....my application went in like greased lightning!
I loved my life in libraries, being a Librarian was my identity, but I had seen the 'rot setting in', screaming children running riot, abusive teenagers using threatening behaviour, lack of funding for new book stock, no back up from senior management, new staff being brought in who had little more than basic literacy, and had decided that enough was enough!
Now our local council has cut the hours of our libraries to ridiculously low levels, no late evenings, no Saturday opening, doubled fines and reservation fees, and when staff leave, replaced them with temps, who aren't properly trained, and the service is falling apart at the seams.
I could see we were at the top of a slippery slope when I left libraries, and it breaks my heart to know I was right.
The library where I spent the greatest part of my working life has now been closed and is scheduled for demolition, it's just soul destroying!
Okay, rant over!

notoveryet Thu 08-Sep-16 13:23:24

I worked in libraries for 25 years and saw many changes. The visitor figures were dropping by the month as were the book issues, so libraries became an easy target when savings were being made.To counteract this and because many library buildings were at the hub of communities, activities for children, older people, advice sessions etc were introduced, along with greater input from volunteers. There just was no way of justifying the cost of keeping the old quiet libraries going. I enjoyed many of the changes and felt we were giving something to our community, but a little bit of me would like a place of quiet still.

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Sep-16 14:45:58

As I said earlier, our town library still has a study area where people are asked to be quiet. I think this is important for the many older children in the area who don't have their own space at home to do their homework in peace. The bigger libraries should be able to accommodate different groups and different needs, but good manners should still be expected.

kittylester Thu 08-Sep-16 14:59:51

Our Library and all the others in the county were at risk of closure due to council cuts and communities were asked to take them over. I was part of the Library Management Committee that took over the running of the one in our village. It is now a bright, lively and welcoming place and membership and issue figures are going up on a regular basis.

We have Family History classes, Rhyme Time, Saturday Stories, book sales, art and craft exhibitions and sales, children's and adult's competitions, a Lego club, meccano work shop, visits from scouts, brownies, playgroups and the village primary school. We have a coffee machine, newspaper, tables and chairs, talks and exhibitions and an independent book loan system.

Libraries are no longer quiet places!

Grannatu Thu 08-Sep-16 15:10:02

I'm a librarian and I certainly would have asked the mobile phone loudmouth to lower his voice. We don't expect libraries to be deathly quiet, but neither do we tolerate inconsiderate behaviour that disturbs others - libraries are for everyone to use and enjoy, while we still have them.

Peaseblossom Thu 08-Sep-16 16:41:46

I wasn't aware that libraries were no longer peaceful places. I think that man sounds awful and he should not have been shouting and swearing in the library. I totally agree with you.

grannypiper Thu 08-Sep-16 19:51:52

i always find this works, if someone is being loud whilst using a phone i start talking to them pretending to be the person on the other end of the phone so if he said are you taking the pi~s i woild reply no, im not taking the pi~s but you are !

GrannyO Thu 08-Sep-16 20:20:54

In the library where I work, we ask people politely to take their call in the foyer, and most people are happy to oblige.

hulahoop Thu 08-Sep-16 22:25:17

Unfortunately this sort of person is everywhere now on public transport in shops I don't understand why they want strangers to know their business I know I don't . Our library as different things going on but most keep noise to a minimum even story time which I took my grandaughter to wasn't particularly noisy thing person in charge should have said something

NanSue Fri 09-Sep-16 14:18:41

I am amazed and a little saddened at juggernaut and witzend having been reprimanded for putting a stop this type of behaviour, although I suppose it may explain the nonchalant attitude of the librarian that I mentioned it to. I also realise that she may have been up against possible hostility from the man involved.

Linsco56 Fri 09-Sep-16 15:28:08

NanSue It is possible the librarian was in fact a library assistant and didn't want to put her head on the chopping block. Lack of support from senior management who have absolutely no idea of how to lead from the front and provide little support to staff would make some people very reluctant to intervene.

I have 2 librarians in my family, one in a school and the other in a public lending library and I have heard some shocking stories.

What never ceases to amaze me is the absolute sense of entitlement, rudeness and aggression displayed by some people.

NanSue Fri 09-Sep-16 16:50:55

Ye Linsco56 that is very possible. I have much sympathy for the librarians and assistants. Even more so now that I know that they do not have the backing of management. I also actually think from a safety aspect they probably should be cautious.

Newquay Fri 09-Sep-16 17:56:21

This have changed so much. Where I grew up the library was heaven to me-all those books. I was like a child in a sweet shop! But I did find the staff unhelpful and intimidating (to this scruffy kid from the slums).
My dear sister and I went back for a sentimental visit recently-what a shock! Notices in, it seemed, all sorts of languages (thought we were still in England and spoke English?) but helpful staff.
We were shocked to see a security man patrolling and he told some lads to clear off!

kittylester Fri 09-Sep-16 19:41:51

We might still be in England Newquay but not everyone speaks and reads English!

ChocoholicSue Fri 09-Sep-16 20:15:38

Not in a library so maybe I shouldn't post. But I think people have forgotten how to talk quietly and don't realise how loud they are. A few weeks ago we went for a pub lunch, choosing a quiet time of day to go. Well it was very quiet customer wise, not many there. All we could hear for all of our visit was the new landlady's voice just continually shouting. There was no need. I should think she was heard on the boats on the nearby canal. We won't be going back.

NanSue Sat 10-Sep-16 13:26:20

Yes, some people definitely love the sound of their own voices!

Pigglywiggly Sun 11-Sep-16 09:34:09

YABVU if you expect libraries to be quiet nowadays. The proud boast of my local library is 'We are not a quiet library'. It's true- the Co-op is quieter. I avoid my local library like the plague.

Alishka Sun 11-Sep-16 13:49:15

I've just read this, so saddened by what I've readsad
Our local library, far far more than my junior school,opened up to me a wondrous other world I could explore and learn about. During the long summer holidays I became a Vulcanologist - at 10! Absolutely devoured all the books I could borrow, and learned about rock formations at the same time.
'Course, at the same time, I was a world-famous horse dressage trainer!
And knew of Austria, courtesy of The Chalet School books, in detailgrin

So much learning for fun wherever my imagination took me,so much, seemingly, lost.

But tell me, does that wonderful smell of old polished wood still remain? Please, don't take that away from me....

Pollengran Sun 11-Sep-16 15:40:22

Lovely memories Alishka, but I don't know of any that smell of polish now. Maybe there are some but to me, most of them smell like offices with that photocopier fluid scent.

Like you, I loved the world of books, but it nearly didn't happen. I was not allowed to join because my mother had signed the form and it had to be my father. I was sent away by the librarian.

I felt very told off and shy about going back, but in the end he signed it and took me back himself. That would have been in the late 1950s and silence was sacred to the point of tiptoeing up to the counter to have my books stamped and signed out.

Alishka Mon 12-Sep-16 14:44:54

Oh, I didn't know that about the father having to endorse your form back then.I was born in '44 and can't even remember when I wasnt a member of a library. And tiptoeing over the shiny wooden floors and whispering? Absolutely!

Do libraries not have Reading Rooms now, then? (Sorry I need to ask, but I've now got a forever disability, had to give up driving let alone walk any significant distance) so don't know.)

But hey! While thinking round this, do libraries still offer a home delivery service, anyone know? Just as long as your choice isn't of the 'bodice-ripping, heaving bosoms and doctor and nurse' variety, that'd be grand !

kittylester Mon 12-Sep-16 15:05:00

Yes, they do offer such a service Alishka, even the community run ones - well ours does. Give them a ring and ask.

Alishka Mon 12-Sep-16 18:51:05

Thank you kitty, I'll do that smile