Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect peace in the Library

(55 Posts)
NanSue Tue 06-Sep-16 18:02:07

AIBU. I look after my 3 year old DGD 4 days a week She is full on, noisy and hectic, bless her. It's a long day on a Tuesday so I also collect 9 year old DGS from school and I have to leave quite early to park. So, left DGD with DH and called into the Library near the school for 15 minutes for a bit of much appreciated quiet time. I was just browsing when, I heard a man, sat at at a table with his lap top and talking on his phone, not really a problem. However he got louder and louder and it became obvious he was talking to an estate agent, berating them for not keeping him informed etc., etc., Meanwhile, one of the librarians was putting returned books on the shelves near me, so I said "Oooh nothing like a nice quiet afternoon in the library is there?" She just laughed and said "ha ha, he thinks it's his office!" The last thing I heard him shout before I walked out was "Are you taking the piss! He was actually facing a wall and was oblivious to the stares from onlookers, had he been facing me I would have given him a "look" or put my finger to my lips in a sshhh kind of way. I have been a bit grumpy today due to lack of sleep and a bit of pain. BUT! AIBU to think that he could have stepped outside to have this kind of shouty conversation? Phew..rant over.

notanan Wed 14-Sep-16 20:08:02

yes there's soundproof rooms or pods in most libraries

kittylester Wed 14-Sep-16 20:32:38

Not in ours!

FarNorth Wed 14-Sep-16 20:42:36

Our library expects reasonable hush in most areas and allows conversation in the foyer/seating area.
My DD very much objects to NOISY conversation and has been known to pretend to be on her phone commenting loudly on the shouting idiots beside her (who are usually also on a phone, not conversing in person).

Leticia Sat 17-Sep-16 07:09:33

I can see that he was irritating but I like the fact that libraries have changed and are now community hubs.
Ours has a room upstairs with desks if you want to quietly work.