Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be excited about new Aldi opening?

(115 Posts)
chelseababy Sun 19-Mar-17 08:36:04

After much delay (don't know why) we have a new Aldi opening on Thursday. I've been rather obsessed with it because of the delays, checking with Aldi website,ringing their head office etc to find out when it's opening! It will probably be an anti climax. What are your favourite Aldi buys?

NannyKasey Tue 21-Mar-17 17:24:21

Agree with Vero122 - you can get a pack of 24 size one nappies for £1.15!! My DD stocked up before DGD no 2 was born and as they are slightly bigger than Asda's size 1 DGD no 2 is now wearing them. Their wine is cheap and you can get a bottle of spiced rum for £9.99 grin. I also buy among other things their crisps, chocolate and when I had a cat, their cat food.

jusnoneed Tue 21-Mar-17 18:07:24

There is a new Aldi opening in Glastonbury on Thursday too. May call in as we have to pass by the town at the weekend.
We used to have one in the town next to ours but it closed down about 6/7 years ago. It was a horrible store, very dark and always looked grubby. Shame as their stuff was ok but I don't think people liked going to it. I am surprised they haven't had another shop built as the nearest to us is a long way off and all the big names will be in town as a big new Sainsbury shop is being built soon.
We have recently had a new Lidl store open (now two in same town), I do about 50% of my shopping there. Morrisons a couple hundred yards along the road so an easy weekly shopping outing.

Have fun trying out the Aldi products.

HurdyGurdy Tue 21-Mar-17 18:17:22

Charleygirl - I swear you must live near me!!! Our Lidll is in the process of being built (and I am disproportionately excited about it!). It is opposite B&M, just along from a big Sainsbury, and not much further along the road is Aldi grin

I was equally excited about Aldi when it opened. I am spoiled for choice as I am about midway between two branches - one with much better parking than the other. I love their fruit and veg selection, especially their super 6, and their meat, as has been said further up the thread, is marvellous. They have a wonderful selection of cold meats too.

I don't think I have ever had a bad buy from Aldi, and now that I have mastered the knack of loading the checkout belt in the right order to be able to swiftly put the stuff straight into my trolley bags, even the checkout process is stress free :D

jenwren Tue 21-Mar-17 18:25:30

I especially like the sirloin steak which is always tender. Although cheaper, quality isn't compromised so its a win win situation.

GillT57 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:30:41

Our very fussy cat will eat Aldi cat food shock and we really like their ground cafetiere coffee, £1.69 and as good if not better than the brand we used to buy at over £1 per pack more. Dishwasher tablets are excellent, cheese and cooked meats and bacon excellent and their chocolate and biscuits are great. Especially the cookies with crystalised ginger chunks.....

W11girl Tue 21-Mar-17 19:38:59

I like Aldi, but prefer Lidl. The Aldi dishwasher tabs are good however, better than Lidl's. Aldi have some gorgeous hazlenut chocolate bars, only 55p each. I'm addicted!

Funnygran Tue 21-Mar-17 20:04:57

Find it difficult to choose between Aldi and Lidl but since Aldi is slightly closer I tend to go there. I buy their pickles and jars of olives amongst other things. They also do fantastic jars of things like artichokes, roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes all in oil and all at 99p I think which are great for adding to salads or pasta sauces. Last time I was in I bought a large bag of ready to eat prunes for half the price of the same in Tesco. However things do seem to disappear so possibly as well not to rely on them for some things.

MawBroon Tue 21-Mar-17 20:11:57

So where in Bedford is it to be? Out near Waitrose? Or near the Clapham Sainsbury's? Well it be easy to get to?

chickenlegs Tue 21-Mar-17 20:36:51

I like Aldi because their cleaning products are not tested on animals.

phoenix Tue 21-Mar-17 20:43:43

Although living in darkest North Devon, we have had a Lidl store in Torrington for some time.

We now have an Aldi in Bideford, plus a new, bigger Lidl, also in Bideford, as well as the one in Torrington.

Having shopped in both, although the products are similar, or perhaps even the same, both Mr P and I have decided we prefer Lidl.

Jalima Tue 21-Mar-17 23:40:35

Lidl do bags of dried fruit; prunes, figs, apricots, mixed, and good sized bags of nuts and seeds at a reasonable price.

Jalima Tue 21-Mar-17 23:41:08

and Lidl also do loose almonds etc

chelseababy Wed 22-Mar-17 08:50:40

MawBroon it is on Ampthill Road next to Morrison's. Traffic chaos is predicted!!!

MawBroon Wed 22-Mar-17 08:52:44

Not a part of Bedford I go to then. Phew!

grannyactivist Wed 22-Mar-17 10:44:25

Our nearest Aldi is in the city, half an hour's drive, so we tend to shop locally in Lidl. I well remember both my own excitement and the snobbish response by a lot of locals when the shop was due to open. Those same locals who now are frequently to be seen in there! grin

merlotgran Wed 22-Mar-17 11:21:48

We had a bit of a snobbish response around here as well, ga. The penny finally dropped though. Who wouldn't want to save 30% on their basic shop?

Norah Wed 22-Mar-17 12:12:09

I use Aldi often when in Germany, was very pleased when one was built here a few years ago. It's lovely, clean, bright, good offers. Nice car park with plenty of slots.

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Mar-17 13:19:11

Oh, you lucky people with so much choice locally! I do my big shop online, but like to pootle round the local shops every week as well. As far as supermarkets go, within my 2.5 mile walking range we have Tescos and Co-ops, big and small, nothing else. Though DD2's village has just acquired a Sainsburys and an Aldi, which is handy when I'm with the grandson smile. I love Aldi's olives, prosecco, facecream and chocolate - I'll be buying all our Easter treats there.

When we lived in Hamburg 40 odd years ago (ouch), Aldi was our supermarket and it was awful. Sticky floors and everything in ripped boxes. Much like our local Netto used to be before they wisely shut it down.

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 13:38:58

I think Lidl was rather like that at first Maggiemaybe and people were embarrassed to say that they went in there but it has gone very much upmarket now. However, I still have some relatives who would not eat anything bought in Lidl grin

Marydoll Wed 22-Mar-17 16:39:11

We have a LIDL and Aldi near us. I swear by them and now my daughter raves about Lidl after moving into her first flat. However, my DIL, who lives within walking distant of a Lidl refuses to use it and will only shop in Sainsbury's.
Little does she know that the beautiful, lined, designer looking, knitted jacket I bought for DGD is from there.
Their sensitive baby wipes and cleaning wipes are great. We used to keep packets of them in school. Cheap, but just as good as more expensive ones. My husband and sons like speciality beers and theirs fit the bitt nicely.

grannypiper Wed 22-Mar-17 20:44:49

Chelseababy Enjoy the opening tomorrow

chelseababy Wed 22-Mar-17 22:10:25

I'm just compiling a list of all the recommendations!

annodomini Wed 22-Mar-17 23:20:26

Aldi and Lidl both have far better chocolate than any of our 'native' supermarkets. I have had to bypass the confectionery aisle in our Aldi for the past six months, in order to lose 30lbs! Hot smoked salmon is delicious but the price has just shot up and I have had to curb my extravagance. sad

travelsafar Thu 23-Mar-17 08:38:10

We are supposed to be getting a store here in Letchworth and personally i can not wait.

Norah Thu 23-Mar-17 10:06:31

The Aldi near us seems to be staying with cheap prices, the offers are grand. I'm as happy as a figgy shopping Aldi.