Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need to rant to someone about my postman!!!

(160 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 06-Apr-17 12:31:33

Yet again I have to go & collect a parcel from my local sorting office because our postman is too damned lazy to knock on the door.

I saw him going down the other side of road as I was getting the shopping in from the car & he obviously saw me too.

5 mins later I was unpacking the shopping & I heard the post come through the front door. I finished putting the shopping away & went to look at post & there is the card saying no-one was in & I have to go to sorting office to collect my parcel which was too big to go through letterbox. I was all of 12' from front door- we have a bell & a knocker & I am not in any way deaf so I would have heard even a very quiet knock. He did not knock or ring bell at all.
This has happened more than once before & it is so flaming annoying as our sorting office no longer allows you to park there (in the customer spaces!)as it seems someone once (about 4 years ago) 'nearly' hit a postman while parking in the customer spaces. You cannot park on the main road outside so have to park in the town & walk up or risk parking on the road & getting a ticket.
If you complain (& I have been polite) they point out the many hand written signs around the office about being harassed by members of the public- which 'will not be tolerated'
Is this peculiar to our local 'service' or is it common practice?
I do try not to order from firms who use Royal Mail but this was the first thing I have bought from this company- even if I like it when I get it I probably won't use them again now.

OK rant over! I feel better now.

whitewave Fri 07-Apr-17 10:43:09

I want to post in support of postmen.. I was talking to mine and he was explaining how things have changed over the years. It seems to me that there is quite a bit of pressure for them to complete their rounds which have grown enormously. My postman complained that he couldn't complete his round in time so was told by his manager that he ought to try running a bit and then he would finish on time- if there is indeed that sort of pressure, they won't have time to knock on doors and wait for us to toddle to the door to answer it.

Life is not so civilised these days

ninuksmith Fri 07-Apr-17 10:45:40

Our postie is brilliant! Always smiling and happy and friendly. Each year I put some £ in the Christmas card for him. Give it to him before he is off for his Christmas break.

Redrobin51 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:17:20

Can I join you in the rent same here. Both my husband and I were in we can even hear the bell in our garage. Supposedly he knocked but no excuse as I had out on delivery instructions if we don't hear deliver to two of our neighbours (we help each other out with parcels). They are live plants as well. No there is no parking allowed at our depot now and as I am disabled but not enough for a Blue Badge it is a nightmare. There is limited parking the other side if the road but places are like hens teeth.x

Lewlew Fri 07-Apr-17 11:18:58

Our postie and delivery people are great... we are very lucky.

But I have STOPPED taking in parcels for people I do not know. I got a right telling off by one family because I didn't come round to them. They had a card from the courier that we had it. Doh?

Also there are a couple of dodgy oddballs on our street, so I don't fancy having care of anything of theirs. When asked to take something in. I just say that I don't know them and am not comfortable keeping something for people I do not know. We have our own tenants in the building and someone is usuall in, so I don't worry about ours going anywhere else in the street.

meandashy Fri 07-Apr-17 11:23:04

My postie only delivers letters. It's the van drivers with parcels. Could this be the case with you op?

Auntieflo Fri 07-Apr-17 11:23:35

We used to have a lovely postie, and in his pocket, he carried doggie treats. Our little cairn, who hated post coming through the letter box, got to know his tread and would allow him to put the post through. All other stuff would be carefully shredded if he got to it first.

Caro1954 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:32:28

Our postie, Sarah, is lovely as are the relief posties. But if we ever do need to collect something from the sorting office I've noticed lots of zero tolerance notices. A previous postie refused to come through our gate, or my neighbours, because our dogs, a springer spaniel and a labrador, had "bared their teeth" at him. He was a big with a long, black hair and ditto beard and, quite honestly, I felt like baring my teeth. But I'm 99% certain neither dog did. He had obviously put the word out in the office that there were dogs loose in our two houses and every relief postie was very wary. Both my neighbour and myself kept our dogs inside till the postie had been. Neither of us is besotted enough with our dogs to believe them incapable of bad behaviour and are always careful with them around children. Neither dog has ever shown any signs of aggression with anybody. We concluded that this was a postman who couldn't be bothered with houses that were "inconvenient" to deliver to - our houses both had longish drives. Ironically he broke our letter box on two separate occasions!

Caroline123 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:37:44

Mine knocks and runs! I have to be quick to catch him going down the road!
And he's so rough with things, he pushes stuff so hard through the letterbox he's taken to back off the letterbox and loosened the front!

jevive73 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:46:56

Write head office?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:53:06

I agree with Gillybob and I wonder, is there a way you can arrange for Postie to have another go at delivery? Then it should be at a time when you are expecting it and no excuses for not ringing the doorbell.

Skweek1 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:03:01

The number of times we've been in our front room listening for knock on door which doesn't come, but card shoved through. It's really annoying, especially when you've ordered Prime delivery to arrive on Saturday and you have to wait until Monday to go to sorting office. My MIL has said she has the same problem when she's upstairs - by the time she gets doqn, no sign of postie.

NannyBadcrumble1 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:05:29

My postie is absolutely wonderful, and I think he deserves a medal having to face the horror that is me first thing in the morning, not a pretty sight.

The delivery firms Yodel and Hermes - now they get me irate! Yodel took 4 attempts to deliver some bookcases for me. On 3 occasions they said they'd left a card in my door. Considering that they'd have to get through 2 intercom systems - and I was in each and every time, so would have heard the buzzer... I was not happy!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 07-Apr-17 12:08:07

Not just the Post Office when it comes to poor service.
Courier services? Don't get me started.

daffers Fri 07-Apr-17 12:19:04

I have a lovely blue eyed postman who even posts my letters for me

Spot Fri 07-Apr-17 12:31:04

I absolutely LOATH Royal Mail! They never admit to faults - it's always you at fault for complaining. You could try complaining officially though, as I say, they are rarely helpful.
A few years ago, we had our identity stolen. This came about when we went away for Christmas and someone redirected our post! I did all sorts, even writing to my MP. All through it, RM insisted they never did anything wrong, despite the fact the the culprit just went in to the post office and asked for our mail to be redirected, with no proof of ID on them!
Not only did the culprit then start opening credit cards in our names, but we lost our Christmas post. It was so traumatic, emotionally, and for a while we were both scared to death everytime we went on holiday in case someone did it again!

Nona4ever Fri 07-Apr-17 12:40:25

I can't believe that Juggernaut thinks that Amazon Logistics are impressive. I, too, am an Amazon Prime member and get a lot of stuff from them. However, for each time they actually knock on the door, there will be another when they just leave the parcel on the doorstep. The doorstep is about 2 metres from a busy road, so the parcel is vulnerable. Several times, in bad weather, they have also been soaked through.
Two weeks ago I ordered a couple of things I needed badly - together costing about £50. Two days later, having received nothing, I tracked the parcels online, only to find that they had apparently been handed to me personally at 2.15 the day before - when I was in a hospital bed! I contacted Amazon and they were very obliging. However, they could not replace the goods and so gave me a refund, when I really just wanted my items. Then last Saturday I placed another order, for something fairly basic. Sunday was Mothers Day; there were lots of us here and all the windows were open - we were clearly in. Same thing happened - parcel left on doorstep. Amazon is invaluable to me and I would hate not to be able to use it but I won't put up with this much longer.

Craftycat Fri 07-Apr-17 12:59:26

I feel much better now I know it is not just me. Our old postman was lovely but now we don't seem to get the same one for more than a couple of weeks.
This morning at the sorting office I got a very sour faced man who
'could not understand me'- I'd only said Good Morning-so there was no point having a moan. I did however get my parcel after a very long wait while he rummaged through bags & bags of parcels.
It makes sense that they are leaving pre- written notes rather ring of they are so pressured to get rounds done but our guy does come in a van so he could bring things.
Our regular delivery people for internet purchases (Amazon, Hermes etc.)are very good indeed & always happy & cheerful.
I shall just continue to try & avoid using companies who use Royal Mail.
However the dress in my parcel was very nice & I shall keep it. I'd like to order more from this company but put off by this experience- it came from Germany so no point ringing them up to tell them abut RM.

marionk Fri 07-Apr-17 13:05:17

From one extreme to another (and none of them acceptable) we have had a large parcel delivered over the road whilst we were in (we also have a knocker, a bell and had left the side gate wide open), but we have also on separate occasions had a delivery of 12 bottles of wine just left on the front doorstep and a bouquet of flowers just left when we were out! angry

annodomini Fri 07-Apr-17 13:05:30

I won't hear a word against my Hermes courier - always the same retired gentleman. He knows me by name now and if I am out, he leaves the goods in the private place I have nominated. Amazon couriers are usually in an awful hurry to fulfil their quotas. I have several times answered the door to find one running through the gateway, leaving a package on the doorstep. I have asked them to leave me a few more seconds to reach the door which they seem to have heeded recently.

Legs55 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:12:52

Our postie is pretty good (not as good as the old one who was brilliant), we do have two different ones who both do their round running so no chance of catching them! However they do leave small parcels in one of my re-cycling bins (they've got lids on them) & leave me a note. Sometimes parcels are left next door if I'm out even by couriers.

Where I lived before our postie was brilliant, took letters to post, knew everybody, even left post for me, after re-direction had finished, with my neighbour, he knew we were friends & thought she would have my address, she has.

The worst example I had was a meat order,around £100s worth left on my doorstep, in full view, despite me leaving a large note on my door asking him to deliver next door, I couldn't wait in as Hospital had rung me to go in to see my DH who was seriously ill. Luckily I lived in a Park Home with lovely neighbours in a very safe area, I let company know & they were very apologetic & said that should never happen, I believe they changed courier.

What annoys me is often sit at my dining table & can be seen when the walk up my path, the good ones knock on the window as they go past so I can get to my door.

tiredoldwoman Fri 07-Apr-17 13:21:47

Around about Christmas the postie put my mail through the empty house next door . Weeks later the builders arrived and returned my mail . One was for a hospital appointment ( missed it ) and the other was a postcard to collect a parcel which was too big to post through the letterbox. Luckily it was still waiting at the sorting office - it was my prize of'Say Please ' from Gransnet .

Nandalot Fri 07-Apr-17 13:47:25

We used to have brilliant posties but since the reorganisation we get a huge variety. It is true, their rounds have been increased and they are on terrible time pressure and as a result they make frequent mistakes so we are often popping post into a neighbours' doors.

With parcels it is even worse. We get the note to say they have left it in our 'safe place'. Yesterday's, some vitamin tablets, was left behind the plant pot at our front door. ( Not good if a child had found them). Others have included under the barbecue, under a garden seat and even in the bin!

Anya Fri 07-Apr-17 13:54:24

Yes, well! Wonder if my large smoked side of salmon is still languishing in Edinburghs sorting office after being 'lost' in the postal system at Christmas, despite being 'tracked'.

TriciaF Fri 07-Apr-17 13:57:53

Someone will have scoffed it months ago, Anya!

Anya Fri 07-Apr-17 14:05:39

I expect so TriciaF or as Hamlet said about Polonous, they'd be 'nosing' it out by now!