Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need to rant to someone about my postman!!!

(160 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 06-Apr-17 12:31:33

Yet again I have to go & collect a parcel from my local sorting office because our postman is too damned lazy to knock on the door.

I saw him going down the other side of road as I was getting the shopping in from the car & he obviously saw me too.

5 mins later I was unpacking the shopping & I heard the post come through the front door. I finished putting the shopping away & went to look at post & there is the card saying no-one was in & I have to go to sorting office to collect my parcel which was too big to go through letterbox. I was all of 12' from front door- we have a bell & a knocker & I am not in any way deaf so I would have heard even a very quiet knock. He did not knock or ring bell at all.
This has happened more than once before & it is so flaming annoying as our sorting office no longer allows you to park there (in the customer spaces!)as it seems someone once (about 4 years ago) 'nearly' hit a postman while parking in the customer spaces. You cannot park on the main road outside so have to park in the town & walk up or risk parking on the road & getting a ticket.
If you complain (& I have been polite) they point out the many hand written signs around the office about being harassed by members of the public- which 'will not be tolerated'
Is this peculiar to our local 'service' or is it common practice?
I do try not to order from firms who use Royal Mail but this was the first thing I have bought from this company- even if I like it when I get it I probably won't use them again now.

OK rant over! I feel better now.

Sheilasue Fri 07-Apr-17 15:09:35

We take most of our neighbours parcels in because we are retired, if we are out and a parcel is delivered there is only an elderly couple who have taken our parcels in a few times otherwise we have to go to the sorting office.

inishowen Fri 07-Apr-17 15:15:36

We've had a series of great postmen/women. One went round the back when we weren't in and put the parcel through the cat flap. He figured we had a cat as she was always on the step!

Grandelly54 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:25:35

I live in a very rural location and our postman is ab fab. If I am not in he will either knock next door or pop round the back and leave in or under something depending on how big the parcel, item is. I would like to say that having worked for RM for plenty of years I would stress that you again complain, maybe not to the local sorting office but go higher, you've heard of the saying"go to the organ grinder, not the oily rag" I would defo go for thatZ! I would hope that this problem will then go away.

kathryn489 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:38:34

I point blank refuse to order anything that uses the Royal Mail and I go out of my way not to use them for my own deliveries for the same reason - knock and run irritating!

CardiffJaguar Fri 07-Apr-17 17:46:36

You are unlucky or someone at your address (maybe in the past) has upset a postie. This is not normal practice.

In fact RM is fighting a competition battle and all their staff in my experience are doing their best for custpomer service.

I suggest you make an appointment to see the RM manager at your sorting office. Explain your difficulty and ask what is wrong as you dearly wish to be able to say you are happy with your service.

Ana Fri 07-Apr-17 17:48:31

Never had any problem with Royal Mail. Yodel are the worst delivery people - dump and run! At least our local Hermes delivery lady rings the bell before haring off up the steps...grin

allule Fri 07-Apr-17 18:01:18

The only way we ever get to speak to our neighbors is when we...or they...take in parcels! Then we catch up on all the news....

Ele19 Fri 07-Apr-17 19:55:44

No one seems to have mentioned the ease of going online to get your parcel redelivered on a day you know you will be in rather than trek to sorting office?! Have nothing but good to say about my posties here & get fair amount of parcels, maybe they like ringing doorbell to catch me in my dressing gown!

lionpops Sat 08-Apr-17 06:47:24

The behaviour of some of the postman detailed on the post is unacceptable. Last year my postman kept delivering other people's mail to my address. I contacted Royal Mail and complained and found them to be absolutely brilliant. They sorted it !
personal.help.royalmail.com/app/contact#category-tree-after

Craicon Sat 08-Apr-17 09:02:10

Here in Ireland, my local posties are brilliant. We don't have a letterbox, just a cat flap but they're happy to post the mail through it. (We plan to have a proper postbox built into a new wall this summer).
When we first moved over here, we were renting in a village a few miles down the road. We then bought our current house and had an overlap of a couple of weeks in our rented place before we moved in to the new place (just before Christmas) a few years ago. We were pottering about the new house having some work done when the new lady postie introduced herself. My DH asked her about the forms for organising the mail re-direction and she said 'sure, you don't need to bother with all that, I know you live here now'. She knew the postie who covered the round in the other village and he gave her any mail that was addressed to us. Even 2 years later if anything is still addressed to the old place, it gets delivered to our new place, no bother.
Also, when we were in the rented house, a parcel was delivered but we were out and so the postie delivered it to the landlord's place (around the corner). We saw the postie a couple of days later and he asked if we'd had the parcel yet. No, we weren't aware of it. So, a little while later, he knocks at the door with the parcel. Turns out the landlord was out but the window to his conservatory was open and the parcel was on the windowsill, so the postie had reached in to retrieve it...!

granfromafar Sat 08-Apr-17 15:00:25

Craftycat - I don't blame you having a rant,particularly as you can't park at the sorting office. What about disabled visitors who need to collect items? I was going to praise DPD, though edsnana didn't have a good experience with them. They sent a text and email with an hour delivery slot when delivering a hired suit for son's wedding last week, and arrived at the beginning of the hour.
As far as RM goes we are lucky in having good posties and good neighbours so are always taking parcels in for each other. The only rant I have is that the person at the sorting office will often strike through the stamp with a marker pen instead of stamping the parcel. This isn't an issue for me, but OH is an avid philatelist and if it's a special issue or high value stamp, gets quite miffed!

W11girl Sat 08-Apr-17 19:19:43

Same here Craftycat. I had to go to the sorting office yesterday, nowhere to park and a notice stating "No unauthorised personnel" at the entrance to the only door to collect parcels! Of Course I went in and got my parcel, I complained but they couldn't care less.

KirbyGirl Sun 09-Apr-17 10:24:30

I have no particular complaints myself but I wonder if the Post Office will get to read the posts here. Someone ought to make sure they get to Head Office who should then look carefully at their procedures!

Dancinjay Sat 16-Oct-21 11:25:16

Slightly off topic. Is there anyway to find out the extent of a certain posties round? My exSIL is a postie who delivers in the area around our estate. For various reasons I want to avoid him, but no matter what time of day, or what route I take he seems to be there. If I see him in the distance at location A at 9:30 one day, he could be at location B (the other side of the village) at 9:35 the next, there seems to be no logic in his route. I know he drives a van, but it still doesn't make sense. He has in the past driven past me and stopped so that I have to speak to him and is not at all happy if I won't discuss my daughter or grandchildren

MayBeMaw Sat 16-Oct-21 11:31:36

How annoying.
My postie, probably traumatised by the sight of me in PJ’ s now leaves any parcels in a plastic box I keep to one side of the door, tucked out of sight, and posts the usual red card through the letterbox. It helps that the house is at the end of a longish drive and the door obscured from the road - and it is a village so very quiet.
He doesn’t even bother to ring - as I said, it was probably the flannel PJ’s wot done it!

Blossoming Sat 16-Oct-21 11:45:30

meandashy

My postie only delivers letters. It's the van drivers with parcels. Could this be the case with you op?

Same here meandashy

25Avalon Sat 16-Oct-21 11:53:44

We had a lovely postman who was transferred although we begged to have him stay. The new one was awful. As in your case took my parcel back to the main PO 4 miles away with 2parking spaces. Not only was I in but my builder was here as well! I went on the Royal Mail website and complained. They were very apologetic and I never had that problem again.

Parcelforce have had a consignment for dh that is still not here after 9 days! The seller has chased and chased to no avail.

Cabbie21 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:36:47

Our lovely postie retired at the start of Covid. Since then we have had many different ones, sometimes not even in uniform. One told me it was his third round that day, as they are so short staffed, with people off sick or isolating.
This past week we had no post at all, then yesterday we had 14 items!

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:38:55

This thread is over 4 1/2 years old!!

25Avalon Sat 16-Oct-21 12:44:24

Not another one DD. Well spotted.

Mishy Sat 16-Oct-21 12:46:02

Sorry about your postie, mine are brilliant BUT you can phone and have the parcel redelivered at a date and time to suit you when you are in. There may be a number on the red/white card or failing that, you can go online and have it resent.

sodapop Sat 16-Oct-21 13:24:44

Still relevant though. That's one advantage of having a post box as we do here in France. No good for really big parcels though.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Oct-21 14:16:22

Does it matter if an old thread is resurrected as long as the contents are still relevant?

Why bother starting a fresh one on a similar subject?

eazybee Sat 16-Oct-21 15:41:30

Complain, loudly, when you collect the parcel from the sorting office.
I have twice, once when a card was posted through the door saying no one was in, (oh yes I was) and I rang the P.O the minute I received the card to register I was in the house when the parcel was notdelivered. I had to be at the sorting office at 7a.m as I needed the footwear for a school trip.
The second time I had paid for express delivery and left instructions for the parcel to go in the garage; instead it was returned to the PO. I made such a fuss over the phone that the postman was contacted and instructed to deliver the parcel to my house much later after he had completed his round.
This week I was expecting a parcel and told I must sign for it by the purchaser because it was valuable; a knock on the door, the postman going down the drive and the parcel propped up against the step in full view. I offered to sign for it but was refused; the purchaser checked on the tracker and 'my' signature appeared. This time he made the complaint, but apparently with covid the postmen are not compelled to collect signatures!
So sorry, not impressed.

Ali08 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:44:53

eazybee

I've come across that, too! I expected to sign for a couple of parcels, and was told, "It's OK, I've already signed for you!" - before he even got to my door and made sure I was in!!!
I told him never to do that for me again!! Not my postie, but a van delivery guy, and I made sure the senders knew this was going on!!
I've also complained half a parcel was missing and that their method of packaging was disgraceful. Argued the toss and sent them photos, only to find out the courier van driver was dodgy. They then sent the missing items via Royal Mail and they got here perfectly, and because its something I buy on repeat they've ditched the courier and send me them via RM each time!!