Gransnet forums

AIBU

I still get irritated by this - AIBU to hate being referred to as a 'girl'...

(280 Posts)
Carolghill Sun 30-Apr-17 17:35:35

Okay. At church today a rather nice chap came up to a friend of mine to say hi. Nice. But he said 'Hi Girls'. My friend is 50 and I'm coming up to 65. I just said nicely - X,,, I am not a girl - I am a woman. He looks nonplussed. He says he means it as a compliment that we look good still!

Hmm.

I pointed out that at almost 65 I am NOT a girl. I am a woman.

He is nice. He just looked surprised. But to me being referred to as 'girl' infantises me, makes me less of an adult, puts me at a lower status ... Yukkity yuk yuk. Have we not achieved anything?!

Sorry. Rant over.

Katek Tue 02-May-17 22:39:37

As Miss Marple said, " I feel sorry for the Bradbury Scott girls." They were all in their 70's

M0nica Wed 03-May-17 21:35:28

In our teens my 2 sisters and I asked our parents to please refer to us as 'the girls' rather than 'the children'. We were at that age when one's self-esteem is a bit shaky.

Our parents referred to us, in aggregate, as 'the girls' for the rest of their lives. The eldest, I was 64 when my DF died, and still happy to be, in his eyes, one of his girls.

Floradora9 Thu 04-May-17 19:48:20

I do not care if called a girl and quite please if called a ' lass' but hate when little boys are referred to as my little man . You never say my little woman of a girl .

M0nica Fri 05-May-17 11:53:44

But older women get called, knowingly, 'Young lady' and are expected to simper and take it as a compliment. In those circumstances, I am aways a disappointment