Gransnet forums

AIBU

Pulling yourself together.

(61 Posts)
loopyloo Tue 02-May-17 14:25:02

I really seem to have got into a mess. I had a cold and now have a chesty cough. And am now in the habit of eating too much and the house needs tidying up. Where do you people start? How do you pull yourself together?

Charleygirl Tue 02-May-17 14:31:58

You get yourself better first of all. You are less likely to want to clean anywhere when feeling like s**t. A trip to your GP for antibiotics for starters and go slowly from there.

Christinefrance Tue 02-May-17 14:32:16

One step at a time loopyloo, start with tidying up a small area or washing up, congratulate yourself on a job well done then move on to the next step. Give yourself a little treat at the end of the day, not food related though. Good luck.

Alima Tue 02-May-17 14:44:28

Take things easy loopyloo, you will probably feel more like doing stuff when you are fully recovered. (Regarding Christinefrance's advice, best not make the treat alcoholic either. If you have a lingering bug you could end up alcohol dependant by the time you are better!)

annsixty Tue 02-May-17 14:58:57

I totally understand the eating Loopylou as I am in the same spiral. I "just have a small piece of chocolate and then horror of horrors a bag of crisps.
I tell myself I hardly go out and nobody is interested how I look even if overweight and so it goes on and on.
When I had my knee op I lost a stone. I have put half of it back on and hate myself for it,
I think you left work some little time ago, you may have a slight depression from that and the change in your life.
I hope we all pick up with some sunshine round the corner.

henetha Tue 02-May-17 15:08:03

I understand, loopylou. I find it all too easy to spiral down, especially when not well, into an over-eating, couldn't-care-less about housework attitude. I never seem to quite keep on top of things. And it's ever so hard to pull myself together. Sometimes, if someone decides to visit me that will be enough to make me go mad with tidying and cleaning. Sometimes a glimpse of myself in an unfamiiar window or mirror will make me see how porky I am getting. And just sometimes I just feel absolutely disgusted with myself. It's not easy. If you find a magic solution please let me know.

Anya Tue 02-May-17 15:22:43

loopy just let today GO, but plan tomorrow.

Write down a few things (3-4) you must do, then on your list 2-3 things you should do and then add another 2-3 you could do if you have time or feel like it.

Tick them off as you go, but remember it's only the first few you must do so prioritise.

PoshGran Tue 02-May-17 15:54:15

I loathe housework at any time, you get things sorted & not long afterwards it needs sorting again...ho, hum.
I have days when I know I need to get certain things done, so my routine is to set the cooker alarm for 15 minutes & get cracking. When the alarm goes off (I call it Cilla 'coz it sounds like the double tap rhythm of "You're My World") I reset it for another 15 mins & in that time do something that I want to do. These on/off periods are a useful aid to get me started.
Until you are feeling better loopyloo give yourself time & don't feel guilty. Get well soon.flowers

Smileless2012 Tue 02-May-17 16:08:26

Be kind to yourself loopylou, as other posters have said it's difficult to get yourself motivated when you're not feeling well; it's difficult sometimes even if you are.

I've been to the gym this morning and have a load of paperwork to catch up on which I sorted before I went out so it was all ready on my return and what have I accomplished so far; nothingblush.

Took my little dog out when I got home, had a long 'phone conversation with my brother and have been on GN ever since. Hey ho, tomorrow is another day and I can get the paperwork done then; perhaps, possibly, maybe.

Crafting Tue 02-May-17 16:34:29

I would start off by going through each room putting things away or back where they belong without doing any cleaning. Then when things are in place just pick one job (like dusting or washing the floor) do one job a day. As others have said, if you are not well, don't push yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

PRINTMISS Tue 02-May-17 16:51:54

I agree with all those who say look after yourself. You are the important one, not because everything depends on you, but because you are you. I know you have a chesty cough and cold, but if you could venture out when the sun shines perhaps that will make you feel a little better, certainly fresher, and from experience I think that is what is needed when you get bogged down.

wildswan16 Tue 02-May-17 16:55:03

After I had been off colour for a week or so I just felt exhausted and sat in front of the TV. Knowing I needed to get off my behind I started by getting up every time the adverts came on - it is incredible what you can do in the 2 or 3 minutes. During one programme ads I could give the whole bathroom a lick and a polish, next programme ads tidied the kitchen worktops etc. Once a little bit is done it doesn't look so daunting.

harrigran Tue 02-May-17 17:25:55

I can empathise loopyloo, I have had 15 months of inactivity so carry on as you are by going in baby steps. I think you have to accept there are some things you can't do and not fret about it.

loopyloo Tue 02-May-17 17:54:24

Thank you so much everybody. You are all so kind. Think I will go to the doctor tomorrow. Writing lists helps too, I find.

grannypiper Tue 02-May-17 19:08:40

loopyloo you have to walk before you can run flowers Try Metatone which is a tonic from the chemist, it says dilute but i am naughty and just have a swig out of the bottle in the morning. it is a great pick you up.
Mabe the housework fairies will pay you a visit.grin

cornergran Wed 03-May-17 05:31:14

I was in the same place earlier this year loopy, if lists work for you then use them but don't forget to include something you will enjoy, something that lifts your spirits, each day. It can be as simple as allowing a guilt free time with a cuppa and a book, or just sitting and looking out of the window, a short walk if you have the energy, or a chat with a friend. Nothing exhausting or complicated. A trip to the doctor is a good idea in case anti biotics are needed, Hang on in there, it will pass.

seacliff Wed 03-May-17 06:58:15

Best wishes Loopy, glad you are going to docs today. Totally understand how you feel. flowers

MawBroon Wed 03-May-17 09:23:57

A silly game I have been known to play to get myself off my ae*e motivate myself, is to list 6 jobs of roughly equal importance and effort.
Then roll a dice and do whichever one comes up. Thereafter, that number means a brew break or a short walk or 15 minutes with a magazine.
Repeat until you get fed up! [smike]

MawBroon Wed 03-May-17 09:24:34

I meant smile of course blush

Luckygirl Wed 03-May-17 09:50:28

I think we all feel a bit like this sometime.

Firstly you need to get that cough seen to - has the doc had a listen to your chest?

Secondly, housework really does not matter! It has never mattered to me and I seemed to have survived this aberration! If it matters to you, and you cannot convince yourself otherwise, then do the tiniest weeniest bit of tidying and then go out for a walk - spot the daisies and the bluebells, make a point of admiring the sky and examining the cloud configurations, tut over the dog messes etc. - i.e. examine your walk in minute by minute detail and focus on that alone; try and stop your mind wandering to anything else but the details of the walk. You will get some exercise, which will help, you will have something to take your mind into a better place and you will have found some good things to think about.

Good luck - tomorrow is another day! smile

Mapleleaf Wed 03-May-17 10:03:45

Lots of good suggestions on here, Loopy. The main thing is to look after yourself, and build up to doing things gradually. Housework can wait. Glad you are seeing the doctor - hopefully s/he will be able to prescribe something to help. Take care.flowers

brenh34 Wed 03-May-17 10:08:46

I realise it does depend on your financial situation Loopy but once you are feeling a bit better, could you book a cleaning firm such as Molly Maid for a full house clean. They do one offs and I'm pretty sure it would really aid your recovery to see that your home was sparkling clean and give you the incentive to keep it up.

SueWilliamsShakti Wed 03-May-17 10:10:55

I've found that getting a FitBit has changed so much for me. It's so nice to be congratulated on every bit of exercise you do... set yourself a fairly low amount of steps to achieve at first and work up to 10,000 a day. It sounds difficult but it's really not... rather than viewing housework as an awful chore, which is what I have always done, now I rejoice at the little firework display that comes up when I have reached my goal for the day! I get a real sense of achievement.

radicalnan Wed 03-May-17 10:12:40

I do the chores in the adverts thing and then often find I get cracking and don't get back to whatever trash I was watching...it just gets me started. Dance music with a good beat can get you going too or I listen to a radio play and work through that.

I have fibromyalgia and it hurts to move a lot of the time so have found ways of making tasks easier. Since a fall last year, I have quite lost confidence in even the short, slow walks I used to do and have assumed a Winnie the poo silhouette......which I loathe AND to make things worse my 4 year old grand daughter thinks I shall have a baby soon !!!

Roll on summer when being out in the garden helps a little.

Eating garlic helps with chesty things.....and stops people coming round and seeing what a state the place is in.

Good luck, I have been there few times it is a struggle but you will do it.

EmilyHarburn Wed 03-May-17 10:16:23

Can you save up for a professional spring clean?

you can get an idea of the price:
firstmaid.co.uk/domestic-cleaning-services/deep-cleaning/

You might then decide you would rather do it yourself. Or focus on one room only ie. Kitchen. if you did book someone say for 3 weeks away you would than probably feel that you had to do a bit of tidying 'just to get ready'. Just and idea. I have a person to clean every fortnight for 4 hours and it makes a huge difference dut to all sorsts of pressures to keep tidy that arise out of her forthcoming visit!!!