Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to not feel any gratitude?

(143 Posts)
icbn2802 Thu 11-May-17 15:08:22

Two of my daughters & my mum are round today. I've just had my arm twisted to do a bit of baking ( I love it so need no hesitation) but whilst I'm in the kitchen I've just watched mum sauntering into the shed, poke around looking for a broom & has then proceeded to start sweeping my garden. OK it's pretty messy & in need of some attention but AIBU to be kind of peeved about this? I feel this is some kind of judgement on the state of my home & how I run my ship. At no time have i ever asked for help or even dropped hints that I don't cope. It's not like I'm struggling & on my own or anything. I know it's pretty petty in the whole scheme of things but I sometimes think that mum forgets that I don't need her guidance anymore. I'm 46, a mum & nan myself AIBU???

ElroodFan Sat 13-May-17 19:08:58

icbn2802. I don't know if you will read this far down your post, but I don't believe your Mother is sitting in judgement on the state of your home. She probably knows you have a busy life and is just trying to make life a bit easier for you. It's what Mothers do for their child and make no mistake no matter how old you get that is what you are , as you must be aware having children of your own. She's trying to show she cares. I wish I could see my Mother pottering about my home again.

HeyHo Sun 14-May-17 07:27:39

After a family wedding,fairly late at night, and intending to return to the reception, I took my 90 year old mother home - she was a wee bit tiddly having enjoyed the day tremendously.

Once we got to her flat, I said, 'Right, Mum, you get ready for bed, and once you are tucked up, I will go back tot he reception'

She drew herself up to her full 4'10" in height, and looked indignantly at me from under the large green hat she was wearing, and said:-

" Hey, Mary, whose the Mother and whose the Daughter round here?"

I think that says it all - no matter how old we get, as long as we still have a Mum, they are the Mum and they do Mum things..... like sweeping the garden !!!

MaggieMay69 Mon 15-May-17 11:20:01

I was the opposite, I would go round my Mums and MIL's when I was younger and start cleaning. I'm not OCD, but I love the therapeutic feelings I get from cleaning lol.
My mum would moan at me and bluntly say" What the bloody hell you doing, you saying I'm not clean enough!" and then would sigh and leave me to it, my MIL was a lovely sweet little thing who would just smile and tell me I was a sweet Daft Ha'porth! :-)

It was never ever meant to show them they were dirty, it was me trying to be lovely, and because I just love to clean lol.

Lazigirl Tue 16-May-17 10:03:17

Crikey MaggieMay would you like to come round to my house?

HeyHo Tue 16-May-17 15:13:42

and mine * and mine*

Janetblogs Tue 16-May-17 17:46:52

I'd have lived to have seen your mum walking the lawn mower down to you
Obviously I don't know your mum but maybe she just missed when you were all young and she was needed
Maybe she feels useless if she doesn't do anything .
Couldn't you set her some tasks - I don't know - something You know needs doing but that you never do it can't be bothered to do

castle Sun 21-May-17 12:26:37

My mum used to do that for me and cleaned under my kitchen sink cupboard. Loved it ?

Penstemmon Sun 21-May-17 12:42:01

Yes I do think yabu! She did not say 'You lazy woman look at the state of the garden!' She quietly got on with something she could do whilst you were doing something else for her! Maybe she felt guilty she had asked you to do something!

I am at my DD2 house 2 x weekly taking DGDs to school, I often potter about and tidy bits and bobs for her whilst the girls are getting dressed: fold washing, fill/empty dishwasher etc. She never says she minds!!
She is a f/t working parent with a partner who works long hours! Why wouldn't I help a tiny bit?

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 21-May-17 18:54:49

I agree with Pentstemmon. Your Mum did not criticise, just got on with what she considered to be a help to you. Don't take it personal, maybe you will feel the need to help out at your daughters or Mum's at some time.

When she was alive, my Mum used to house sit for us, when we went on holidays. When we came home she had done so many jobs for us, which was an amazing help, as we held down full time jobs, I appreciated every last job she had done for us, as it was usually straight back to work for both of us.

mrsmopp Mon 22-May-17 08:34:28

She was only giving you a hand, that's all. She knew you were busy and just saw a little job that needed doing. No ulterior motives at all. I would have said Thanks Mum that looks a lot better, you have saved me doing it.
That's what I would say if I had a mum, so treasure her while you can.

Starlady Mon 22-May-17 11:20:06

It's true op's mum didn't say, "You lazy woman, etc!" But perhaps some of you missed the post where op said, "Mum will always comment on the amount of laundry I've got, my daughters messy bedroom, how quickly the grass is growing etc etc...?" That sounds to me like she IS being critical and NOT just trying to help.

But Op, I guess you'll have to decide - you can either accept mum's efforts as helpful (it's work you don't have to do) or let her know they & her comments need to stop.

I don't recall if this has been mentioned, but if nothing else, you might ask her not to come over unexpectedly/to wait for an invitation. That will cut back on the number of times you have to deal with this issue. Either you'll miss her help (and so increase the invites) or you'll feel "liberated" and enjoy her visits more when you do have her over.

Penstemmon Mon 22-May-17 11:22:46

I think all that about my DDs home but I was in a similar position when I was a ft working parent with 2 messy daughters!
Not always criticism .. just testing to see if she wants some help??

Starlady Tue 23-May-17 13:52:56

Could be Penstemmon. But then why not just offer to help and see what op says?

But op, I also like the idea someone gave of asking mum to do a few jobs. If she really just wants to help or needs to feel "needed," this will be great for her and not feel like a criticism to you. Also, it would be a good litmus test, imo. If she truly wants to help, etc., she'll tackle these jobs eagerly. If it's about taking over, she may balk, make excuses, find a reason to cut her visit short, etc.

seacliff Tue 23-May-17 21:15:09

Poor Mum, I feel for her.

Helmsley444 Fri 26-May-17 22:04:04

Tgatcwhat i was goibg ti say granbypiper My mumd dead l9 years .And my only sister followed hee 5 years ago age jyst 55 bowel cancer .All the femakes in my burth famuly gone .Id give my arm to have them back

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 22:40:55

You won't have your mum for long so I'd just say thanks mum! She's just being that.

Faye Sat 27-May-17 00:27:22

I do think the difference is the mother criticising and making her DD feel inadequate against the mother happy to help out with no judgement.

About five years ago I was visiting DD, DIL and GSs for about three weeks. DIL said to me that I probably thought she was messy. I said not at all, I think our homes are all similar (meaning the state of DDs and my homes). I never realised she may have felt uncomfortable that I thought she was messy (she isn't at all). I have always helped her when visiting, the same as my DDs. Since then she thinks nothing of leaving me to do the washing, cooking etc when she is off to work and I will be at her house all day, the same as my DDs do. DD1 has come home from work when I am staying and been relieved to see her washing baskets empty, she finds it hard to get the washing folded and put away.

I think families are closer when everyone pitches in, my children, DIL and SILs do lots of things for me. I am very grateful for the help.