Gransnet forums

AIBU

Kids having kids & unproteced sex

(157 Posts)
norose4 Sat 20-May-17 16:57:13

With more knowledge & access to birth control, what do Gransnetters think of the increasing numbers of young girls getting pregnant & not knowing which man (boy)may be the father & are often the result of one night stands & who then go on to repeat the process, sometimes again & again,has society let them down by somehow sending out the wrong message & woman's lib has somehow backfired?

Luckygirl Sat 20-May-17 17:02:51

I am not sure how true this is - the teenage pregnancy rate has been steadily declining and is, as I understand it, at its lowest for a long time....

"Rates of teenage pregnancy in the UK have halved in the past two decades and are now at their lowest levels since record-keeping began in the late 1960s." - from a guardian article in 2016.

Riverwalk Sat 20-May-17 17:06:44

increasing numbers

Which country are you in norose4?

Are not the UK's teenage pregnancy rates at an all-time low? hmm

Penstemmon Sat 20-May-17 17:12:11

Hi norose4 on what information are you basing this query?

There have been 'unplanned' teen pregnancies throughout history so it is not a new issue. At the moment I understand that teen pregnancies are not as high as in previous years.
I was wondering if I had missed a recent news item? This article is from last summer
[[https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/18/how-uk-halved-teenage-pregnancy-rate-public-health-strategy
]]

Penstemmon Sat 20-May-17 17:12:53

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/18/how-uk-halved-teenage-pregnancy-rate-public-health-strategy Sorry!

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:13:54

I don't know RIverwalk? I didn't study the subject before posting , I have just observed situations around certain areas & from watching the dreaded Jeremy Kyle show & thought it would be informative to see what others thought. As I am fairly new to this game apologies if I have erred in raising this topic, but in my defence I thought that's what gransnet was for !

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:17:58

I suppose I am comparing to the sixties & seventies

suzied Sat 20-May-17 17:19:13

I don't think those who appear on Jeremy Kyle are typical of their age group.They are only on for their shock value.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:22:10

And probably more about casual sex & multiple partners, perhaps I Haven't thought the subject through properly ! There is obviously a correct way to introduce a subject which should include statistics rather than observations

Penstemmon Sat 20-May-17 17:24:40

norose4 you can raise any topic you like! I was just wondering what prompted your query.

I think your belief that there are "increasing numbers" is mistaken. However it is usually a sad situation if a young woman becomes pregnant as a result of casual/careless sex an dos not know who has fathered the child. Sad because it suggests that the young woman has poor self respect/esteem and sees sex as a substitute for care and love.
Young women do get pregnant unexpectedly in long term and loving relationships too...

Riverwalk Sat 20-May-17 17:28:08

So you base your knowledge of teenage pregnancy rates on the Jeremy Kyle show? hmm

I would expect a grandmother to be better informed.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:29:33

Yes I agree I didn't actually mean increasing ,what I really meant was the casual attitude to multiple unprotected sex , when we have so much information & contraception available, where as my poor old great granny, mother of 11 children said , that when the old man came home drunk & you lived in two bedroom tied cottage you didn't have much say in the matter!

kittylester Sat 20-May-17 17:30:41

I have a friend who worked in the area of teenage sexual health and was deemed to have been so successful that she was made redundant! confused

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:32:27

No RIverwalk there are quite a proportion in the area wher I live.They don't work & get priority re housing etc , which is an observation not a criticism

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:35:36

RIverwalk why would you expect that, I thought, obviously wrongly according to you, that one was able to raise a topic without having a degree on the matter,I have put up a thread about abandoned shopping trolleies , without doing a survey!!!

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:37:08

That's good to hear Kittysletter, although sad she lost her job!

Riverwalk Sat 20-May-17 17:41:57

You made a claim about increasing numbers of teenage pregnancies, not just raised the topic.

It wasn't about shopping trolleys, cake baking or Pippa's dress -
if you make an unsubstantiated claim about a serious topic you should expect to be challenged.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:44:05

Yes Penstemmon, I agree , that's what I meant really there are still so many girls believing they have to be sexy , available etc that I wondered really why despite woman's lib & equal rights etc.there are still young woman believing this.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:46:56

RIverwalk I am not in a court of law,nor have I been required to take a degree in Gransnet etiquette , you will just put posters off with your heavy handed attitude !

Riverwalk Sat 20-May-17 17:51:31

It's not heavy-handed to point out that your claim is without foundation and that teenage pregnancies in the UK are on the decrease.

I don't know why you can't admit you were wrong in your assertions.

Ana Sat 20-May-17 17:53:01

I do think that social media has a lot to answer for - selfies and phone sex, none of which were around in the 60s/70s of course.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 17:53:36

You are very prickly, rose.
I agree with others that you started the thread with an unsubstantiated claim. Nothing wrong with being challenged on it.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:55:44

Apart from my misuse of the word increasing. Which if you had read all my comments you would have by now understood the subject which I was clumsily trying to raise. No one is forcing you to join in RIverwalk

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 17:57:12

Roses usual are prickly Durhamjen!

trisher Sat 20-May-17 18:01:54

So what really worries you norose4 Is it young women having sex? You posted as "Kids having kids" which seems to indicate underage girls rather than young women. Teenage pregnancies are dropping but of course that may not continue. There are girls brought up in poverty with little affection who fill the gap in their lives with first sex and then a baby. It is sad that they are reduced to this and that they have such low esteem. It's nothing to do with women's lib and everything to do with poverty and low esteem.
Of course there are other young women who actually enjoy sex take precautions and have multiple partners by choice. If that is their lifestyle choice and they are happy with it I see no reason to object.
One could also ask why there are men (some of them not so young) who are prepared to father children to many different women. Or is that different?