Gransnet forums

AIBU

....to feel disappointed?

(132 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 18:09:34

When I lived in the nearby village (where we had been many years) I was for a long time part of a poetry group - there were five of us and I enjoyed it immensely. We would study a poet each month and write poetry on a particular theme. At the point where I moved to the next village, the person running it emailed us all to say that she thought it was time to end the group as people were so busy - fine, no problem. I owuld have been happy to go over there for the group, as indeed I continue to do for several other activities. I discovered today that in fact it has been continuing with 3 of them and it was a maneouvre to ditch me and another woman.

It is not the end of the world, and these 3 individuals took a rather poncy approach to poetry which did not always sit easily with me; but I find it very disappointing that they were so underhand about it. I now know that the other "reject" was upset about it.

It is always hard when people let you down, even over small things.

Nonnie Sat 14-Oct-17 11:17:03

Not nice and yet on here there have been suggestions that people make excuses (lies?) rather than tell people they don't want to help them. So I ask, does it depend whether you are the one doing it or the one it is done to?

Sorry, not suggesting it is you Lucky who has the double standard.

Bellanonna Sat 14-Oct-17 17:06:59

I’d be interested to know what the One Word “poem” was. I’m sure you could think of a similarly brief riposte in reply to it.
I hope you are able to start up another group with less pretentious people.

Atqui Sat 14-Oct-17 17:41:43

I wouldn't be disappointed.Id be extremely hurt , and angry. What nasty small minded people.

DanniRae Sat 14-Oct-17 18:01:43

Oh Lucky I would have been so hurt if this had happened to me.
I tried writing a poem for you - the first line finished with 'your bad luck' and I couldn't think how to end the second line - I got as far 'so don't give a .................'
Sorry but the right word is just not coming to me?? wink

MawBroon Sat 14-Oct-17 19:54:15

How about a disingenuous “down but not out” letter or email to the group?
Something along the lines of “sad when the group seemed to be being wound up, enjoyed the intellectual stimulation, companionship, their friendship etc etc
Imagine how disappointed I felt when discovered (as was bound to) that the group was not in fact being wound up but that I and the other woman had effectively been excluded.
Had we/I offended somebody? Were we not considered intellectually up to your exacting standards (tongue firmly in cheek there)
Whatever the reason would it not have been an act of friendship to at least be honest, however hurtful as bound to find out?
Not expecting more than perhaps an honest explanation as such underhand action was not really worthy of them
Blah, blah”
At least they will know you know and if they squirm a bit, so much the better!

MawBroon Sat 14-Oct-17 19:57:42

The final ode I will post
Is kinder to them than most
TBH I think
That their actions just stink
And the nicest thing to say is GET LOST!!

BBbevan Sat 14-Oct-17 20:59:44

Hear! Hear!

Bridgeit Sat 14-Oct-17 21:20:33

Ohh the dishonesty
Of a personality robbery
As for sure, it was this and more,
That have persuaded them to shut the door
Deciding that your poems just don't fit in
With the inflated egos of these literary women
Who purport to be the connoisseurs
whilst actually closing opportunities doors.
Don't give up and don't give in
to do that now would be a sin.
The snobbery of words is a terrible disgrace
Don't let them put you out of your place.

Luckygirl Sat 14-Oct-17 21:41:56

Brilliant! - I really think we need a pets' corner - there seem to be plenty of candidates!

The circumstances under which I found out what had happened were thus: One-word-poem lady fetched up on my doorstep (for the first time since we moved in July 2016) and wanted to use our toilet (yes, really). Now, being a kindly soul, I asked her in and after she had peed I offered to top her up with a cup of tea. In the course of our conversation I said that I missed the poetry group (which had been ended ostensibly because folk did not have enough time) and suggested maybe we could meet up once a year. At this point she calmly said "Oh well A, B and me do meet up still, but it is more critical and analytical. C (the other reject) was a bit upset about that." Please imagine innocent voice as if to say she could not imagine why. I said nothing, being gobsmacked; but I did leave the room and played with my GC (who were here in my care) - and left my poor OH to converse with her. She jabbered on for another 20 minutes or so, and finally said she should go. I showed her out politely but somewhat frostily.

I wish I had let her wet her pants. grin

Luckygirl Sat 14-Oct-17 21:42:23

"poets", not "pets" - !!!

FarNorth Sat 14-Oct-17 22:11:30

She sounds pretty thick skinned. You were bound to mention the group when she'd turned up on your doorstep.

If she does it again give her the line about "So sorry, can't help, just rushing out."

MawBroon Sat 14-Oct-17 22:58:09

Under the circs if I had been thee
There’s no way she’d have come in to wee
And if just by chance
She had pee’d in her pants
It would have been just a small victoree.

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-Oct-17 23:31:01

A comfy wee and a cup of tea?
That’s not what she’d have got from me.
I’d have seen her off with evil snickers
And let the old bat wet her knickers.

merlotgran Sat 14-Oct-17 23:50:25

She said, 'Hello, I've gotta go'
So you said, 'Bide a wee.'
'And while you're in the smallest room
I'll make some lovely tea,
A friendly chat with my OH
Should put all wrongs to right,
Don't thank me as you take your leave
'Cos you'll be up all night!'

MissAdventure Sun 15-Oct-17 01:38:28

I've written a poem to honour the poems written here. Its just one word, (of course!)
'Marvellous!' smile

Bellanonna Sun 15-Oct-17 09:10:28

Merlot, you’re wicked??
Nice one. MissA

Menopaws Sun 15-Oct-17 09:28:45

No wee, no tea, just me me me!

Luckygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 10:18:47

Poets' Corner please HQ! These are wonderful!

It is a small thing in the scheme of things; but in the context of a stressful life it felt a bit below the belt. I am just about clinging on as it is!

Imperfect27 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:03:07

Dear HQ, please hear our plea:
A Corner for our po - et - tree!
We could be critically kind,
We might be analytically blind,
But sure as leaves and air are free,
We'd celebrate a word - or three.

Ponce would have no place with us,
We wouldn't carp and make a fuss
And NO-ONE would be overlooked -
We might create a GN book
With metaphor and simile and
Sweet shared verse, from you to me.

So HQ, please do hear our plea
And let us share our po -et-tree...
A 'Poet's Corner' would liberate
This mottly band of laureates!

Luckygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 20:07:53

smile

Luckygirl Mon 05-Feb-18 17:12:26

I am resurrecting this thread as, for the first time since the incident, I had a conversation with the other "reject" (J) today and learned that she cried on an off for 2 weeks over this situation. I was appalled by this, because she is a lovely lady. I tried to cheer her up and said I understood how it felt insulting; but that we were both in the same boat and that we should just rise above it.

When I got back I sent an email to the person who had organised the group and said that I wanted to make it clear that I had said nothing at the time as my life was full of more pressing things, but that on hearing how hurt J had been I just wanted to support her in saying that I agreed about how badly handled I thought it had all been. I did not want this poor lady to be labelled as a bit of a wimp without pointing out that they had been out of order.

All rather sad really.

But it did give me a chance to re-read this thread and to chuckle over the wonderful ditties that it generated!

Luckygirl Mon 05-Feb-18 17:20:27

And re-reading it has made me realise why I like Gransnet - such kind people - and witty too! smile Three cheers for the Gransnetters!!

DanniRae Mon 05-Feb-18 19:46:49

And three cheers from me too!
Please let us know what reaction you get from your email.
Oh, well done for sending it BTW - I would have had the idea to do it and then talked myself out of it!

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Feb-18 20:12:43

Where's Imperfect27 these days?

Luckygirl Mon 05-Feb-18 20:13:11

Reaction: a bit defensive I have to say! Guilty conscience maybe?

I was not rude in my mail - I just said that I could understand why J had felt upset, as I wanted to support her.