Gransnet forums

AIBU

Seething!!!!

(114 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 03-Jan-18 12:20:15

I am fortunate to have a large drive and am happy for my neighbours with smaller drives to park on it as long as I can get in an out. New Years day I saw a strange car on the drive, parked in such a way as to prevent me getting out. I assumed it belonged to a guest of my next door neighbour and ignored it until I needed to leave the house at mid-day. Rang my neighbour, not his. I then had to go along the street knocking on all the doors to find out who it belonged to. Eventually found it was a neighbour at the far end of the street, who has never spoken to me. I asked if the car could be moved as I was going out. The neighbour said the owner was still in bed but that she would tell him

After 20 minutes I went back and said I was still waiting for the car to be moved to be told the owner was in the shower!! Again said I was waiting to go out and could someone else move it only to be told he didn't like anyone else driving his car and that I was being unreasonable as he wouldn't be much longer!! Told them that I didn't care if he was stark naked the car had better be moved immediately as I was going to ring a friend who owned a tow truck and lived 5 minutes away to come and move it for me (I don't!) A young man with wet hair and looking very angry arrived and moved the car.

Now the reason I am seething - was speaking to my next door neighbour today and he said that the first neighbour is telling everyone how unreasonable I was! angry

Sorry just felt the need to rant to someone!!!

Jane10 Wed 03-Jan-18 18:00:06

kittylester I'll send round the fiery cross to gather the Grans. We'll need to have a wee practice though as many of the members of the invective squad have lost their voices.

phoenix Wed 03-Jan-18 18:18:10

You parked your car upon my land,
I send a curse to you prostate gland,

May it cause you much irritation, looking for toilets at every station,

And because these days you need a coin,

I wish you pain within your groin.

Oh please may your inconveniences be,

Double those that you caused to me!

Luckygirl Wed 03-Jan-18 18:39:26

grin

NfkDumpling Wed 03-Jan-18 18:55:12

Good curse Phoenix. I retrieved my wand and recited it facing vaguely westward, since there’s mostly sea to the east and north of me. Hopefully it hit home.

Grannyguitar Wed 03-Jan-18 20:40:33

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his nether regions, and his arms be too short to scratch!

M0nica Wed 03-Jan-18 20:42:25

I would have been spitting feathers and been a lot more direct than you were, OW70* I would have told him in no uncertain terms to get out of bed and move his car NOW. He was parked on private property.

We share a private access road with two other houses, we are at the dead end. Our neighbours are all very careful and courteous to make sure we are not boxed in, but both have had extensions built and despite making it clear to their builders that they must always leave us proper access, I have lost count of the number of times we have had to get contractors out to back out or park somewhere else so that we can either get out or back in.

All look absolutely amazed that there is another house beyond the one they are working at, even though the houses are in a row and there is only 5 foot between us and our neighbour

thecatgrandma Wed 03-Jan-18 20:58:23

There is a growing tendency now for any person who is blatantly in the wrong/doing a bad job/caught out doing something he/she shouldn’t , to turn it all around and totally blame the complainant. At alarmingly high and powerful levels as well. I would simply contact the neighbours who have always used and tell them thatit you can no longer accommodate them due to the unpleasant experience you have had with the one particular neighbour and his guest. Maybe then the said neighbour will have all the rest of them complaining cos of his selfishness, see how he likes being slagged off by all around him. Failing that, slash his tyres ?

Suzisue Wed 03-Jan-18 22:27:40

I've had this in my road with my drive. People have parked on it without asking and in front of it. Ok I don't drive but how does anyone know that I haven't let someone rent my garage? Downright ill mannered I'd say and the other neighbours shouldn't get involved. How very mean of your neighbour to be like that!

Rosina Wed 03-Jan-18 22:34:16

I hope your neighbours have all given him a piece of their minds! Cheeky rascal - how dare he do that. Why should you have to negotiate with strangers to get out of your own driveway? I can empathise here as our last house had off road parking and one neighbour would frequently park over the dropped kerb and block me in. One day she parked, rushed into her house and slammed the door, and went to bed as she had done a night shift. I had to hammer on the door, and then she started to deny that it was her car. It took a really fierce Paddington hard stare to get her out to move it.

Eloethan Wed 03-Jan-18 22:48:00

It's unbelievable isn't it how some people think they have a right to do whatever they want, without regard to common courtesy or the law.

Cabbie21 Wed 03-Jan-18 23:30:14

I have been told that parents doing the local school drop off often block people in or dare to park on their drives. What a cheek!

jeanie99 Thu 04-Jan-18 00:56:48

Unbelievable, I think you were incredibly patient.

I would have a sign put up now saying This is a private drive and parking is no longer allowed.

M0nica Thu 04-Jan-18 07:02:11

Cabbie21, we have this problem as well as we live opposite the local primary school. On woman parked her car in the entrance to our access road and was outraged when I expected her to move it to allow me to access my own home.

suzied Thu 04-Jan-18 08:05:07

We live on a private estate where only residents are allowed to park, and then only in designated places. As we are fairly near a train station to central London we have suffered from non residents parking their cars on the verges and leaving their car all day, which means large delivery vehicles, the dustmen, emergency services etc cannot access the houses. We have a set of “No parking . Need emergency access “etc stickers which are really hard to remove which we stick on persistent offenders’ windscreens. We also have employed a parking company which can issue tickets, but we have never had to use them, people don’t like the stickers.

henetha Thu 04-Jan-18 11:26:41

I had a similar situation a few months ago. My neighbours know that if they have a problem they can park on my drive as long as they don't block my garage door. However, someone did. This caused my blood pressure to rise!!!
However, I composed myself and went and politely asked them to move. Absolutely no apology was forthcoming and they acted as if I was some sort of demon. Since then they have never spoken to me. Gggggrrrrrrrrr angry

BillieW Thu 04-Jan-18 13:32:01

Unbelievable and disgraceful behaviour, you may have had a Drs appointment or need to take/ pick up Grandchildren, someone from hospital, train/ bus station, visit someone etc etc etc..........

Nannylovesshopping Thu 04-Jan-18 14:35:49

henetha I hope that you are still not letting them park on your drive!

Gemmag Thu 04-Jan-18 14:53:22

Then you have a word with the ‘first neighbour’ and let him know how you feel. Next Christmas you put up a big ‘no parking’ sign.

petra Thu 04-Jan-18 15:10:02

The very least he would have next time I saw the car would be 4 flat tires. And then there would be the time I was carrying a container of brake fluid and tripped and it flew all over his bonnet, whoops.
A friend of mine was blocked in when he had to leave for work at 3 in the morning. He did serious damage with a baseball bat.

kittylester Thu 04-Jan-18 15:49:40

Makes me glad for single yellow lines outside our house especially as we live near the school.

Winniewit Thu 04-Jan-18 20:09:14

Do any of you ladies ask why they gave parked in your driveway?

ctussaud Fri 05-Jan-18 10:10:41

You might print enough copies of a short description of what happened, ending with “and in the light of the above I’m withdrawing guest parking privileges entirely because of the thoughtlessness of the neighbour driving a (model of car) who blocked me in and was then dilatory in
moving his car.”

radicalnan Fri 05-Jan-18 10:11:58

I am sure your neighbours know who was being unreasonable.

TillyWhiz Fri 05-Jan-18 10:17:04

I would calmly say to any of the other neighbours who pass on the rude remarks that you were now seriously considering not allowing anybody to park in your drive. Watch how they gush!

Rocknroll5me Fri 05-Jan-18 10:23:13

You are just brilliant!