Gransnet forums

AIBU

Or even a bit precious? Mother of the Bride outfit.

(109 Posts)
MarionHalcombe Wed 10-Jan-18 18:58:18

My daughter gets married later this year , I haven't bought anything yet as I need to shift the Christmas pounds, however I have found exactly what I want. I shared the website of the shop with my closest friend who in turn shared it with a mutual friend who is also due to be a mother of the bride after me.
As you can guess she now also wants a dress from this shop, which is very limited in its stock.

So my aibu or precious questions are...

I don't want her to get a similar outfit as she will look better than me, I'll be trying on my size 14 picturing her in her size 10 and feeling dispirited.

I'd rather she not know how much I've paid - there aren't any exact prices on there.

And finally I was hoping not to tell anyone what i was wearing but the style will be known if not the colour.

As I've written that I think that I may be being a bit over precious. Opinions? Thanks.

Iam64 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:47:48

Phew, what a lot of anxst here about wedding outfits. I'm with Eloethen, it really isn't worth worrying about. Varian, my fear was looking like the Lady Mayoress of Weatherfield but Hyacinth is even more scary.

annodomini Fri 12-Jan-18 13:02:45

You can stand out in quite the wrong way. Better to be elegant than ostentatious. I have in mind my DDS's MiL who wore lemon yellow at the wedding. A lovely lady, but ...er... rotund. I'm no sylph, but as MoG I wore a shirtwaist dress with a jacket in a colour that matched the pattern on the dress, plus a nice but not showy Breton style hat from Accessorise (sold it on Ebay for more than it cost!). I was comfortable and blended with the guests which was my intention. So - OP, please don't make a big thing of this outfit. Be comfortable and enjoy the day.

annodomini Fri 12-Jan-18 13:08:34

PS Tattoo this on your hand: LESS IS MORE.

Bridgeit Fri 12-Jan-18 15:48:14

As your friend is going to be MOB after you,surely there is no problem with you getting the outfit of your choice! Also how likely is it that she will get the same one, once she knows you have it? . And if you are bothered about your differences in size & who will look best then you won't be happy! I would say where what ever you want & don't waste time & energy comparing yourself to others , have a great day ?

Bridgeit Fri 12-Jan-18 15:49:48

Ohhps wear not where !!

jacq10 Fri 12-Jan-18 23:34:28

MarionHalcombe - After reading through these posts I checked to see how long you had been a member as I thought some comments were nasty but I'm sure you know not to dwell on them. It is only natural to want to feel good at your daughter's big day. I was worried about my outfit from the photographic evidence that would be around and didn't want to let my daughter down as MOG is an extremely "dressy" woman. However. like a previous poster, I spotted something in a window in a privately owned shop and although a lot more expensive, even in a sale than what I usually wear, it felt great and I knew I had shoes and bag which would suit. Owner of shop took a hat off a model in the shop which looked wonderful with it, asked me when the wedding was, checked she didn't need it herself and said to come back nearer the time. On the day itself I felt very comfortable and had many compliments (a lot for the hat, which I think would have cost more than many outfits at the wedding!) I hope all goes well for you and you enjoy your (and your daughter's) day.

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 23:45:19

I wonder if people who dress up a lot don't get as stressed about such things as people like me who are only happy wearing casual, comfortable clothes?

Starlady Sat 13-Jan-18 03:04:02

Understand how you feel, but agree that you shouldn't worry as long as the other lady won't be wearing the outfit to your dd's wedding. Wear what you love and enjoy dd's big day!

But be more careful, from now on, about what you show your (so-called) "best friend." Or if you want to make sure she doesn't repeat it/show it to someone else, tell her. Don't trust her to keep something confidential if you haven't asked her to. Lesson learned.